Behavior On Golf Courses

mighty

Excellent response Huw but I think the OP was complaining about the behaviour of Farangs and it was a subsequent poster that complained about the behaviour of Thais.

However I agree with the other poster that said it's all about fun and enjoyment and have regularly played golf as a family outing with non-playing wives and kids accompanying.

• 3 weeks later...

I played at a course that I have played every week for over one year in the centre of Chiang Mai

Generally used to the lack of etiquette and courtesy displayed by quite a few out on the course but today was a cracker.

My usual playing partners were not available so I played alone. First nine holes quite OK , was let through (courtesy) by a group of three one of whom I beleive was the club pro.

Second nine. A group of five were ahead of me., one of whom I believe is a committe member

Three times I stood on the tee next to them expecting to be waved through, general courtesy and etiquette, nope - nada.

At the par three I decided to bypass them and move to the next hole as they were very slow and I had an appointment later in the morning.

All five were on the par three fairway/green, as we passed my caddie said to them in Thai, excuse us we are moving ahead to the next tee. (I do understand and speak quite a lot of Thai)

Two of the party immediately said "no" you cannot do that without our permission and refused to let me go to the tee. Knowing it would be pointless to confront these people I simply packed up my clubs and left the course - and I will not be returning there- my mini protest.

Guess my weekly fees will not be missed- but I feel better and there are plenty of other courses I can play.

I played at a course that I have played every week for over one year in the centre of Chiang Mai

Generally used to the lack of etiquette and courtesy displayed by quite a few out on the course but today was a cracker.

My usual playing partners were not available so I played alone. First nine holes quite OK , was let through (courtesy) by a group of three one of whom I beleive was the club pro.

Second nine. A group of five were ahead of me., one of whom I believe is a committe member

Three times I stood on the tee next to them expecting to be waved through, general courtesy and etiquette, nope - nada.

At the par three I decided to bypass them and move to the next hole as they were very slow and I had an appointment later in the morning.

All five were on the par three fairway/green, as we passed my caddie said to them in Thai, excuse us we are moving ahead to the next tee. (I do understand and speak quite a lot of Thai)

Two of the party immediately said "no" you cannot do that without our permission and refused to let me go to the tee. Knowing it would be pointless to confront these people I simply packed up my clubs and left the course - and I will not be returning there- my mini protest.

Guess my weekly fees will not be missed- but I feel better and there are plenty of other courses I can play.

Since you didn't reveal that you spoke Thai why not ignore them with a cheery wave and move ahead?

What are they going to do? It would be interesting to see how they would deal with it; they would be too lazy to follow it up I suppose, or they may have you banned which you have done yourself. Don't you feel the urge to frustrate people who have frustrated you in the past? but this time they are the ones who have to do something.

Since you didn't reveal that you spoke Thai why not ignore them with a cheery wave and move ahead?

What are they going to do? It would be interesting to see how they would deal with it; they would be too lazy to follow it up I suppose, or they may have you banned which you have done yourself. Don't you feel the urge to frustrate people who have frustrated you in the past? but this time they are the ones who have to do something.

The answer to that is simple, the caddie was aware I spoke Thai and she was aware what the "members?" had said - she would have been in trouble if I had gone on. Easier for them to deal with her in my absence, would probably mean her job. She has lost my weekly patronage so enough damage done.

It's just sad - but not unusual, bad apples in every barrel.

...are usually priced prohibitively to deter your stamp on arrival, beer guzzling louts....

i am not sure that green fees are related in any way to course etiquette... :o

unless i misunderstood something, are u suggesting that the poor are not well mannered? :D

In my experience of playing golf on all price categories of courses worldwide, the higher priced/exclusive courses will tend to attract the type of golfer who has played a considerable amount of golf and has an ingrained understanding of fundamental golf etiquette.

• 4 months later...
Your pathetic response leads me to believe you are a member of said society & upset about it??? "our" golf section???? do you think nobody else is capable of submitting topic's or god forbid something that might upset people.

It is not personal as I have never played with that society, and I dont live in Hua-Hin. It was an observation of bad behavior that should not occur on the golf course by a group of golfers who should know better. IF, as it sounds , you are prepared to accept that as normal then carry on, but I'm not prepared to accept that as normal, and this forum is one place I can vent my anger about it.

Keep your snobbish responses to yourself next time

From reading your messages,it seems you are not better than these"golf hooligans" you are ranting about.

This forum has no place for people like you.Take a look at your responses,its very churlish.

Really Glad I don t play golf :D Here is a photo of the first Politically Correct Commonwealth Golf Course in Thailand :D Nignoy

I thought the course at DM was the first one ? the photo looks like some cow paddie upcountry :o

• 2 weeks later...