TM30 2 Night Stay Out Of Province

Guess this topic has been done to death and a lot of varying info on it. Just seeking a straight answer...I am residing in CM and do my reports there in person. The rear of my passport has the TM30 receipt from my landlord. Currently in Sukhothai for 2 nights in a Homestay then returning to CM . The property owner here has a photo of my passport page to report my stay to immigration in Sukhothai; some other info from elsewhere says within 30 hours of return to CM I download TM30 fill out and submit to CM Immigration online or in person. Further info says my landlord does it. My stay in Sukhothai is beginning to be filled with too many questions in my head. Only recent on retirement extension in CM  and have done 2 90 day reports. Can any learned person out there please tell me what to do 

On return to Chiang Mai, assuming the place where you stayed reported your residence, you will need your landlord to file a new TM30 with immigration other wise there will be a problem when you come to do your 90 day reports.

• Thanks 1

The Homestay owner here in Sukhothai took  a photo of my passport page only  with her phone, which was done in front of me. She has no other info on me other than my passport page.

Edited by bbas3008

11 minutes ago, bbas3008 said:

The Homestay owner has only taken a photo of my passport page with her phone which was done in front of me.

"The property owner here has a photo of my passport page to report my stay to immigration "?

37 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

That's all she needs to file a TM30 online. 

She most likely took photo as no photocopier or whatever.

You should have asked her if she was doing a TM30.

CM is not following the new rules as of June 2020.

The TM30 is required at CM for stays out of province or abroad.

That is rubbish but rogue offices can do as they please. 

As this is my first night in Sukhothai I will ask the owner tomorrow if she is filing a TM30.....if she does what does that mean in my situation?

5 minutes ago, bbas3008 said:

As this is my first night in Sukhothai I will ask the owner tomorrow if she is filing a TM30.....if she does what does that mean in my situation?

Tell her do not file a TM30.

If she has then given you deal with CM, you would need to file a TM30 when you arrive back home in CM.

Yes mad crazy but in the end immigration sets the rules..

CM is not following the rules.

No idea of motive. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

45 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Tell her do not file a TM30.

If she has then given you deal with CM, you would need to file a TM30 when you arrive back home in CM.

Yes mad crazy but in the end immigration sets the rules..

CM is not following the rules.

No idea of motive. 

As my Thai wife has noticed our 2 night stay in Sukhothai has started to be a TM30 stress fest on my behalf, she rang our landlord about it. The landlord said on our return we just needed to take my passport to CM immigration; show the original TM30 receipt in the back of my passport and tell them we are back, please update...????

6 minutes ago, bbas3008 said:

The landlord said on our return we just needed to take my passport to CM immigration; show the original TM30 receipt in the back of my passport and tell them we are back, please update.

The landlord would not know what CM immigration require and neither would folk on AseanNow.

When you have an immigration office acting outside the rules anything is possible..

It seems that at CM you need to make a TM30 upon return.

Rubbish office. 

They are not only outlaw office.

Not sure but vaguely recall KK same.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

it's good to keep in mind the potential fines when making decisions how to deal with this stuff.  In the case of 90 days gone wrong, 2000฿ fixes it at Chiang Mai immigration counter (official penalty with receipt in early 2022).  I've never had an issue with TM30, so I don't know how much you can be fined when caught without a valid TM30 receipt.  If you know the cost of getting it "wrong", you can make logical decisions about how much time and effort you are willing to spend to get it "right".

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, captainjackS said:

I've never had an issue with TM30, so I don't know how much you can be fined when caught without a valid TM30 receipt

Most common is 800baht fine.

You did not address the OP question. 

• Confused 1

Let me ask a question do tourists need a TM30 report as well? I will be in Thailand again next month staying in a private place for about 2 weeks, then 1 week in Pattaya hotel and then after that 1 night in BKK. I guess all the hotels know what to do but in the private place they would not have a clue.

4 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Most common is 800baht fine.

You did not address the OP question. 

Finding out how to get it right is the big question for when I travel inter province in the future. At the moment it seems that once I return to CM I download and fill out a TM 30 and take it to a CM Immigration counter for registration? My landlord has nominated her Real Estate agent to deal with it which has proved to be not helpful.

9 hours ago, bbas3008 said:

The landlord said on our return we just needed to take my passport to CM immigration; show the original TM30 receipt in the back of my passport and tell them we are back, please update...????

That is all I had to do.  Plus filling out a one page form for them.  Queue varies, my wait was about 20 minutes.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, still kicking said:

Let me ask a question do tourists need a TM30 report as well? I will be in Thailand again next month staying in a private place for about 2 weeks, then 1 week in Pattaya hotel and then after that 1 night in BKK. I guess all the hotels know what to do but in the private place they would not have a clue.

Yes strictly speaking, the home owner of the private place "should" report you. If the home owner doesn't know what to do then they always can go to Immigration

Have a look here.

These people got arrested and fined because of:

On 4/24/2023 at 2:27 AM, webfact said:

, had valid passports and visas, but they had violated the Immigration regulations by not notifying the immigration office of their place of stay.

Edited by MJCM

As a tourist the only time you will be confronted with the TM-30 address notification is when you need a service from an Immigration Office, e.g. applying for a 30-day extension of stay.

Edited by Red Phoenix
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Have had the wife do everything in 2 different provinces and yes no problem. Same here in Sukhothai and even told the European part of the Homestay over the phone so. Now we are here and he is away in Europe his Thai wife is having no part of it and insisted on seeing and taking a photo of my passport page. 

Stop stressing. Did it yesterday. If you are returning to original address then all they wanted was a copy of lease agreement if you are renting , passport and your existing TM30 notification. Wait was about 40 minutes, process for new TM30 about 5 minutes.

Officer confirmed that this was not required if returning from abroad to same address, only if returning from another province where your stay has been reported.

This is ChiangMai.

The only reason a tourist would require a TM30 is if need to have dealings with immigration.

Example to obtain 30 day extension.

In your example do nothing

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

As a tourist the only time you will be confronted with the TM-30 address notification is when you need a service from an Immigration Office, e.g. applying for a 30-day extension of stay.

Strictly speaking you are correct, but when I stayed in a Hotel in Pattaya they needed to register me where previously they couldn't be bothered. The reason was that they get surprise visits from IO to see if they registered ALL foreigners staying there and if they (IO) found out that the did not register ALL guests (Tourist Visa, Visa Exampt, Extension of Stay etc etc etc) they would be fined.

4 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Strictly speaking you are correct, but when I stayed in a Hotel in Pattaya they needed to register me where previously they couldn't be bothered. The reason was that they get surprise visits from IO to see if they registered ALL foreigners staying there and if they (IO) found out that the did not register ALL guests (Tourist Visa, Visa Exampt, Extension of Stay etc etc etc) they would be fined.

That's correct, the HOTEL/GUESTHOUSE is required by Thai law to notify local Immigration of any foreigner staying at their premises by issuing a TM-30.  That's why they ask for your passport because otherwise they would not be able to fill in all the required info on the TM-30.

But as a Tourist you do not need to do anything (except providing your passport) and it is only when the Tourist wants to extend his stay in Thailand and visits the local Immigration Office that they will ask for a copy of the TM-30 of the place where he is staying.

5 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

But as a Tourist you do not need to do anything (except providing your passport) and it is only when the Tourist wants to extend his stay in Thailand and visits the local Immigration Office that they will ask for a copy of the TM-30 of the place where he is staying.

Or when you get checked on the street. Here a recent example of Tourists that got arrested and then fined for not reporting their address to IO.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Red Phoenix said:

MOTE I did sent you a PM with a comprehensive guideline on TM-30 to register the place where you are staying on the IO TM-30 website (even if you are renting) and which will allow you to notify your local Imm Office of any foreigner (including yourself) staying at the premises.

Doing so will at least avoid having to go to Immigration on your return to do the TM-30 notification in person, when the Hotel used an incorrect Visa status or when CM IO insists on you notifying them of your return from a domestic trip.  Issuing the TM-30 takes only 2 minutes when having registered on the IO TM-30 website. 

Does this information include how to handle the situation where the landlord doesn't wish to supply all the copies to self register? 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

Does this information include how to handle the situation where the landlord doesn't wish to supply all the copies to self register? 

Yes, when you register as tenant > in that case a copy of the rental contract, a copy of your passport ID-page and (if possible) a copy of the house-book, can be used.

8 hours ago, bbas3008 said:

Finding out how to get it right is the big question for when I travel inter province in the future. At the moment it seems that once I return to CM I download and fill out a TM 30 and take it to a CM Immigration counter for registration? My landlord has nominated her Real Estate agent to deal with it which has proved to be not helpful.

I agree that getting it "right" is the right thing to do for peace of mind and understanding the procedures for future travel without confusion.  I made the comment about potential fines because sometimes we are in a time crunch.  Anyhow, last time I updated my tm30 at chiang mai for moving my "long term" address in CM, it took only about 15 minutes and a simple form.  This was 6 months ago. Fortunately, they have a special office for tm30 around back next to the print shop.  So you don't have to go through the multiple levels of queues that are required for other services in the main building.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1