Agent tells me that Bangkok Bank wants a driver's license from your country + passport.

10 minutes ago, jaywalker2 said:

For example, an agent I used it was 14,000 if you banked at Kasikorn, 16,000 anywhere else.  Another had an account at Bangkok Bank. and again the cost was 2000 more if you wanted to use another bank.

ah ok, when was this?

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

a retirement extension? when the agent puts 800k in the bank, you were saying BB, Kasikorn and others? i just wondered when that was?

Yes, when the agent does a retirement extension, the price is less if customer's bank account is the same bank as the agent's. If it's any other bank, there will usually be around a 2000 baht surcharge. Most of the agents I've researched do tend have their accounts at Bangkok Bank and Kasikorn. If your account is at SCB, for instance, you'll pay more. I don't know why this is.

28 minutes ago, jaywalker2 said:

Yes, when the agent does a retirement extension, the price is less if customer's bank account is the same bank as the agent's. If it's any other bank, there will usually be around a 2000 baht surcharge. Most of the agents I've researched do tend have their accounts at Bangkok Bank and Kasikorn. If your account is at SCB, for instance, you'll pay more. I don't know why this is.

It's not where the agents bank account is but where he has an existing relationship with someone in the bank to push the process. If it's somewhere where he doesn't have a contact then he probably has to go through another agent in his network which will take a cut as both will want to get paid and that cost will be handed through to the client.

7 hours ago, jaywalker2 said:

ok, I've never read an agent using a bank other than BB or Kasikorn for the 800k in out routine, not one report, see if anyone else confirms

On 4/25/2023 at 4:21 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Switch agents....  you’re dealing with fools !!... 

Or, try opening an account yourself - Get a letter of Residence from Immigration and that should see you fit...  you may have to try a handful of Banks before you get lucky. 

Opened an account  with BK bank two weeks ago. they did indeed require my Australian drivers license, as well as the letter of Residence from Immigration. The OP accepts your apology.

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1

On 4/27/2023 at 10:06 AM, Albaby said:

Both the Festival and Doi Saket branches required my DL before any application would be accepted. Is English not your first language? Apparently rudeness is.

Just like to add that while applying at the Municipal office for my yellow book they required a signed copy of my DL and sight of the original. Coincidence?

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/25/2023 at 4:47 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Is this something to do with using an agent for a retirement visa and needing the money (800k) ‘seasoned’ in a Thai Bank and the agent wants you to use Bangkok Bank ???

Yes.  If I go the route of retirement again. 

1 minute ago, Albaby said:

So rules are set in concrete, never to be reviewed/changed? The OP and I, are hallucinating/ telling porkies? Move on Nigella.

Rules? I posted about my LINE conversation with an agent here in Pattaya. 

There are no rules, just facts. 

16 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

It is therefore distinctly odd

What's so odd about it? There's been a tightening of the AML rules recently so it wouldn't surprise me that an individual branch has added this extra requirement. You know that each branch can set their own rules, right? It says on the BBL website now that one should contact the local branch.

That list of requirements for opening an FCD account that you keep referring to is most definitely not in force at the Surawong Rd branch of BBL as of a month ago. I didn't take a copy of their new, more onerous requirements but I'm happy to go back and get one and upload a photo.

The staff member that I spoke to apologised for the even more burdensome requirements and mentioned it was because of "these times", presumably referring to the fallout from the Chinese mafia business of late. 

IIRC that list didn't include a home country drivers license but again it wouldn't surprise me that another branch is requesting this; I was asked for the same by Zipmex when I was going through their KYC process. I don't understand why but maybe they think it's less likely for a person to have both a forged passport AND a forged drivers license from the passport country.

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

What's so odd about it? There's been a tightening of the AML rules recently so it wouldn't surprise me that an individual branch has added this extra requirement. You know that each branch can set their own rules, right? It says on the BBL website now that one should contact the local branch.

That list of requirements for opening an FCD account that you keep referring to is most definitely not in force at the Surawong Rd branch of BBL as of a month ago. I didn't take a copy of their new, more onerous requirements but I'm happy to go back and get one and upload a photo.

The staff member that I spoke to apologised for the even more burdensome requirements and mentioned it was because of "these times", presumably referring to the fallout from the Chinese mafia business of late. 

IIRC that list didn't include a home country drivers license but again it wouldn't surprise me that another branch is requesting this; I was asked for the same by Zipmex when I was going through their KYC process. I don't understand why but maybe they think it's less likely for a person to have both a forged passport AND a forged drivers license from the passport country.

It is "Know your Customer" which the banks here have imported from the USA.  I haven't opened a new account in the USA in over a decade. They want more and more proof in the USA that you are you.  

It is seeping into the banking system here. 

Three years ago I saw a binder on the floor of a Bangkok Bank Desktop and it said "KNOW YOUR CUSTOMER."

Where do you think they got that? They got it from the USA.  

Are banks scanning the Drivers' licenses? There is a boatload of info embedded in that magnetic strip.  

• Sad 1

Just now, Lemsta69 said:

As previously said: poster ianguygill is/was an employee of Bangkok Bank for many years and has been instrumental in helping many many expats open accounts at the bank for over a decade. He replied to thread earlier on and confirmed it wasn't a requirement, that is not to say that paid Agents may require one. And whilst individual branches are known to vary the rules from time to time, the rules regarding ID emanate from head office and from BOT hence it is highly improbable that branches set discrete insurmountable ID requirements except perhaps on an ad hoc or rogue basis. 

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, DudleySquat said:

Rules? I posted about my LINE conversation with an agent here in Pattaya. 

There are no rules, just facts. 

I was making the point to old mate Nigel that what was required 6 months ago may not apply today. The fact is that both the op and I were asked to produce the foreign DL. Peace Dudley,

Edited by Albaby
foreign DL
  • Love It 2

Just now, Albaby said:

I was making the point to old mate Nigel that what was required 6 months ago may not apply today. The fact is that both the op and I were asked to produce the DL. Peace Dudley,

That is exactly correct.  The agent told me this requirement has just popped up in the last two weeks and it may only apply to Pattaya.  That is why I posted it to see if it is happening to anyone now. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/27/2023 at 9:37 AM, Albaby said:

Opened an account  with BK bank two weeks ago. they did indeed require my Australian drivers license, as well as the letter of Residence from Immigration. The OP accepts your apology.

I would be interested to know what they do if you don't have a valid DL from your country. I only have mine due to Covid fears. In 4 years, my DL will expire and I will have no way to obtain a new one without going back to the USA which I have no plan to do. 

1 minute ago, nigelforbes said:

it is highly improbable that branches set discrete insurmountable ID

Branches can do what they want, even opening accounts for people on Tourist Visas with just a passport if you believe the claim made by a very special poster ????

Th. Surawong branch wants a letter from my Embassy confirming the reason why I need the account. Aussie Embassy will laugh in my face if I ask for that. Ergo, no new account for me so I'll have to go branch hopping to find a more lenient branch, or part an agent an extortionate fee.

There was another onerous requirement but I'd switched off by then. I'll go in on Monday if I'm not too hungover and ask for a copy ????

• Love It 2

Are they specifically asking only for a DL? I have several cards that are government-approved IDs. My pilot certificate from FAA and my concealed carry license come to mind. 

What if I had none of these and only my Passport? 

2 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

Branches can do what they want, even opening accounts for people on Tourist Visas with just a passport if you believe the claim made by a very special poster ????

Th. Surawong branch wants a letter from my Embassy confirming the reason why I need the account. Aussie Embassy will laugh in my face if I ask for that. Ergo, no new account for me so I'll have to go branch hopping to find a more lenient branch, or part an agent an extortionate fee.

There was another onerous requirement but I'd switched off by then. I'll go in on Monday if I'm not too hungover and ask for a copy ????

A Thai with a  Bangkok Bank account can vouch for you.  This fulfills one of their requirements to open an account for a foreigner. 

• Thanks 1