Number of visa allowed in a year

Hi everyone,

I have a rather simple question but faced with the amount of contradictory information I find on the websites of Thai embassies and authorities, I thought I'd better ask it here.
How many Thai tourist visas can I apply for and obtain during one year?
I am French and as such I was granted a visa exemption between March and April 2023, then I went to Vientiane to get a single entry tourist visa. I would like to stay in Thailand until the end of August and for that I will need a new visa. For professional reasons I am going to Vietnam at the beginning of June which will stop the validity of my current visa and I want to take the opportunity to apply for a new one at the Thai embassy in Ho-Chi-Minh City.
I was told that I could be asked to stay one month outside the Thai territory before applying for a new visa. Is this true or can I apply directly for a new visa and return to Thailand 10 days after my exit?

Thank you in advance for your answers and help

You are going to get all kinds of answers, but after coming and going here since 2015 I can say that there is no "upper limit". It all depends on the immigration officer and their mood that day, and also which consulate or embassy you are applying from. I myself have been questioned thoroughly for "staying too long" in Thailand, but still got granted entry. 

As long as you dont do anything illegal you should be able to get in to the country, if you have a valid tourist visa. In my experience tourist visas are better to use than visa exempts, especially when flying in to Thailand. 

Edited by raz0r21
  • Thumbs Up 1

Every Thai embassy/consulate has its own guidelines over granting tourist visas. A few years ago, Ho Chi Minh City (and Hanoi) were good places to apply, with at least two tourist visas provided without the slightest difficulty. They have become a lot stricter, and I am not sure how HCMC will react to an application for a second visa (especially back to back).

At the current time, I think the best places to apply for tourist visas are Vientiane (requires appointment), Savannakhet (very busy on Mondays and Thursdays) and Yangon.

Wherever you apply, the days of unlimited tourist visas on demand are over.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deroutenmilou said:

I want to take the opportunity to apply for a new one at the Thai embassy in Ho-Chi-Minh City.

Your plan should be fine.

Be aware that HCMC consulate requires appointment so you need to plan in advance.

Spending some time in HCMC would be a good idea.

The process is is overnight gig.  

The advantage of applying for tourist visa in Savannakhet or Vientiane is that if tourist visa rejected you can enter visa exempt at land border. 

With that option you could choose Vientiane (requires appointment) and take flight to Udon Thani.

Depends where you are located. 

Edited by DrJack54

Thank you very much for all your answers. From what I understand I can try to get a visa in HCMC with a probability of refusal and in this case try at the border posts by land in Laos or Cambodia?
It's a relief that no one has heard about this 1 month period outside Thailand, information I had from a contact at the Thai embassy in HCMC but which seemed strange to me.

Are you in Thailand now? If so please confirm that you entered on a Tourist visa and what is the date on the stamp when you entered. Are you aware that you can get a single re entry permit to save the date of your entry stamp into Thailand whatever date that is. It may then be possible to enter visa exempt again and if necessary extend by 30 days to give you what you need.

There is no limit set in stone but immigration officers don't like people using them as an alternative to a proper long term visa. You might just be fine but from March to August is quite a while. Also unrelated but make sure you have an onwards ticket to show vietnam before you board your flight back to Thailand for either the duration of your tourist visa, or duration of a visa exempt entry, they are very strict and won't let you board without showing proof.

Edited by Mikeheo

8 minutes ago, Mikeheo said:

Also unrelated but make sure you have an onwards ticket to show vietnam before you board your flight back to Thailand for either the duration of your tourist visa, or duration of a visa exempt entry, they are very strict and won't let you board without showing proof.

What you are trying to say is that airline at departure would require proof of onward flight.

That is correct if flying visa exempt. 

However with a tourist visa or reentry permit that would not be required 

Edited by DrJack54

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

What you are trying to say is that airline at departure would require proof of onward flight.

That is correct.

However with a tourist visa or reentry permit that would not be required 

Even with a tourist visa. when traveling from Vietnam to Thailand, they require proof of an onwards flight for pretty much all airlines. Only exception is with long term Visas.

Edited by Mikeheo

7 minutes ago, Mikeheo said:

Even with a tourist visa Vietnam require proof on an onwards flight for pretty much all airlines. Only exception is with long term Visas.

Your post makes no sense.

You stated ..."Vietnam require proof..." 

Guessing you mean Vietnam immigration.

Your post is 100% wrong 

Immigration inward and outbound have no interest in onward flight. 

Outbound from Vietnam immigration is irrelevant.

However airline carrier may/will require proof of onward flight without visa.

With visa or reentry permit no issue. 

Please stop incorrect posts. 

Edited by DrJack54

7 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Your post makes no sense.

You stated ..."Vietnam require proof..." 

Guessing you mean Vietnam immigration.

Your post is 100% wrong 

Immigration inward and outbound have no interest in onward flight. 

Outbound from Vietnam immigration is irrelevant.

However airline carrier may/will require proof of onward flight without visa.

With visa or reentry permit no issue. 

Please stop incorrect posts. 

Have you even been to Vietnam? You're the one making incorrect posts by denying it. When you leave any airport in the country of Vietnam going to Thailand, they want proof of an onwards ticket unless you have a LONG TERM visa. Seems like you just like to be argumentative for the fun of it.

Edited by Mikeheo
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mikeheo said:

Have you even been to Vietnam?

Travelled to Saigon every month for best part of 7 years. 

Most recent February this year. 

Read my previous post.

The airline at departure will require onward flight if flying without a visa or reentry permit.

Immigration at departure not an issue with or without onward flight. 

Immigration on arrival in Thailand also will not ask to see onward flight.