Shipping Car Thailand to UK

Hi all,

I would like to ship a car from Thailand to the UK.

Does anyone have any experience doing this? and if so is there a shipping agent you would recommend?

Please no responses saying 'do not do this', 'waste of time'. Only Solutions and useful advise on the process please.

Thank you

Would imagine it would go out of Laem Chabang port (Klong Toey probably too small). The vehicle likely needs to be in a container (20ft). Import into the UK very easy with customs etc. A shipping agent would be able to handle all. I've imported goods from China (2021) and it was easy. UK customs are very heplful - they just want any duty or tax! Try www.daygard.com in the UK who can handle eveything for you or just deal with the import - they were great both times I used them. Their email is: [email protected]

Edited by soi3eddie
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, kwak250 said:

Hilux Vigo

must admit I keep looking at those things when I'm out cycling and think 'camper', I could sleep in one pretty much full time then I don't even need accomodation lol

You can buy second hand cars for next to nothing in Japan, just such a shame it's virtually impossible to then import em into Thailand......might look at shipping one to France.......what do I look out for going wrong? cheers

Just now, KannikaP said:

Finding the steering wheel on the 'wrong' side. 555

i've lived in France for years driving RHD motors.......I actually like it cos I can see how close to the ditch I am when I'm 'tear arsing' around the cuntryside ????

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

About 15 years ago we were routinely importing from Japan. Not worth it now unless its something pretty special (weak GBP etc).

Its certainly possible to import from Thailand and in fact there's people I know doing it. Mostly older Japanese classic stuff. Need to pay your taxes and duties and do the usual approval stuff (MPH speedo, rear fogs etc). Insurance might be more expensive...

Actually I remember some years ago a load of new RHD Mercedes arrived in the UK from Thailand - there was a story to it, but I've forgotten the details.

• Like 1

On 4/28/2023 at 7:33 PM, HauptmannUK said:

About 15 years ago we were routinely importing from Japan. Not worth it now unless its something pretty special (weak GBP etc).

Its certainly possible to import from Thailand and in fact there's people I know doing it. Mostly older Japanese classic stuff. Need to pay your taxes and duties and do the usual approval stuff (MPH speedo, rear fogs etc). Insurance might be more expensive...

Actually I remember some years ago a load of new RHD Mercedes arrived in the UK from Thailand - there was a story to it, but I've forgotten the details.

Hi @HauptmannUKthanks for your response. Do you happen to know which companies people are using? Thanks

2 hours ago, almusafir said:

Hi @HauptmannUKthanks for your response. Do you happen to know which companies people are using? Thanks

There's a guy (Scott) down at Haverfordwest in Wales buying older classic Japanese stuff in Thailand and shipping it to the UK. No idea which shipping agent he's using. His main business is industrial plant sales and the car imports are a sideline.  His main website is causewayplantsales.co.uk but he doesn't have a website for the cars. You will however find his Facebook page ('Causeway Classics'). Anyway, contact Scott an he may be able to help you get your car to the UK.

If doing it yourself you'll need to notify HMRC of vehicle arrival - its all got very complicated since Brexit and now there seem to be three customs systems running, NOVA, CHIEFS and CDS - I've now no idea how these work.  Once taxes/duties are paid you'll need to do Individual Vehicle Approval for VOSA/DVLA.

Edited by HauptmannUK
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

There's a guy (Scott) down at Haverfordwest in Wales buying older classic Japanese stuff in Thailand and shipping it to the UK. No idea which shipping agent he's using. His main business is industrial plant sales and the car imports are a sideline.  His main website is causewayplantsales.co.uk but he doesn't have a website for the cars. You will however find his Facebook page ('Causeway Classics'). Anyway, contact Scott an he may be able to help you get your car to the UK.

If doing it yourself you'll need to notify HMRC of vehicle arrival - its all got very complicated since Brexit and now there seem to be three customs systems running, NOVA, CHIEFS and CDS - I've now no idea how these work.  Once taxes/duties are paid you'll need to do Individual Vehicle Approval for VOSA/DVLA.

@HauptmannUK thanks mate! really useful and I appreciate you taking the time to provide detailed responses.

On 4/27/2023 at 11:58 AM, kwak250 said:

Interested in what car would you send to the UK?

Must admit there are some clean classics that have not rusted to bits like they would have in the UK.

Yea so bring it to UK and have some chav carjack it

1 hour ago, Celsius said:

Yea so bring it to UK and have some chav carjack it

Carjacking in the UK is relatively rare and a 70s/80s Japanese car would be an unlikely target!  More likely would be random theft for joyriding. It would not be difficult to fit some simple security to the car.  In fact the old trick of taking the rotor arm with you would be very effective.

One of my cars back in the UK is a 2018 Aston Martin DB11 5.2 twin-turbo V12. Now THAT is a carjacking target. Its fitted with two trackers and remote control of engine management.  Because of that risk, and various other reasons, I'll be selling it this summer.....