PM Welcomes Home First Batch of Thais Returning from Sudan

snoop1130

6c492861a81d75c8341c8c145e152e9b_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha and Deputy Prime Minister Don Pramatwinai have welcomed 78 Thai citizens returning from war-torn Sudan at Don Mueang Royal Thai Air Force Base.

The group included 71 students from southern border provinces, and everyone arrived safely.

The Prime Minister expressed his gratitude to all involved agencies, thanked Egypt and Saudi Arabia for their successful cooperation, and inquired about the passengers’ travel experience, education, and the reopening of the academic year. Upon arrival, the group underwent immigration checks and health screenings before being taken to their hotels.

Those with residences in southern regions have been scheduled to board a C-130 aircraft provided by the Royal Thai Air Force to return to their hometowns on April 28th. The Royal Thai Air Force task force remains in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, coordinating with the Royal Thai Embassy in Riyadh to assist the next group of Thai citizens departing from the Port of Sudan.

The Prime Minister emphasized the importance of the safety of Thai citizens and the safe return of those wishing to come home.

Officials have also indicated that another batch of 66 Thais in Sudan have already arrived in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, waiting to be extracted. The remaining 132 Thais will be picked up by the Royal Thai Air Force using an Airbus A340-500.

All 198 Thais will return to Thailand tomorrow night (April 29th).

Source: https://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news/detail/TCATG230428145820059

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2023-04-28

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

47 minutes ago, Deserted said:

What on earth made them go there in the first place?

We had some Thai workers in Saudi Arabia.

There are many Thais employed in Israel.

Sudan offers religious education and Arabic language studies for Thai muslims. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jacko45k said:

We had some Thai workers in Saudi Arabia.

There are many Thais employed in Israel.

Sudan offers religious education and Arabic language studies for Thai muslims. 

Yeah you are probably right there but its still a poor African country with very little else to offer. Many of my former colleagues are Sudanese and tried to get me to go over when I was working in Saudi. I looked into it and told them to get stuffed.

2 minutes ago, Deserted said:

Yeah you are probably right there but its still a poor African country with very little else to offer. Many of my former colleagues are Sudanese and tried to get me to go over when I was working in Saudi. I looked into it and told them to get stuffed.

I too was good friends with a few Sudanese when working in KSA, nice guys. But like you the country itself does not appeal....politically unstable and very poor.

4 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I too was good friends with a few Sudanese when working in KSA, nice guys. But like you the country itself does not appeal....politically unstable and very poor.

Yeah, I even looked into taking the boat from Jeddah to Port Sudan. Never been to Africa, never understood why anyone would even want to go there.

1 minute ago, Deserted said:

Yeah, I even looked into taking the boat from Jeddah to Port Sudan. Never been to Africa, never understood why anyone would even want to go there.

Haha, I went where I was told, Which included a few months in North Egypt, a short job in Mombasa, and I visited Zambia on some student work experience set up as a youngster. Sudan, you never hear about the place until it is in the news for all the wrong reasons.