Airman dies, another injured in trainer crash landing in Nakhon Pathom

webfact

image.png

A flight instructor was killed and his student seriously injured when their trainer aircraft crash-landed at the Kamphaeng Saen flight training school in Nakhon Pathom province (Saturday).

Air Vice Marshal Prapas Sornchaidee, spokesman for the Royal Thai Air Force, said that the flight instructor, Flight Lieutenant Supakit Inthachai, and his student, Pilot Officer Purin Chana, were flying a CT-4E trainer aircraft, but it crashed as it was attempting to land at the airfield.

A helicopter flew the wounded airman to hospital for emergency treatment and an investigation has been ordered to determine the cause of the accident, he added.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/airman-dies-another-injured-in-trainer-crash-landing-in-nakhon-pathom/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-05-01

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

We live not far from the training school and often have trainers flying over our house. On Saturday one of them passed over heading in the direction of the airfield with a badly misfiring engine, wonder if that had anything to do with the accident?

2 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

We live not far from the training school and often have trainers flying over our house. On Saturday one of them passed over heading in the direction of the airfield with a badly misfiring engine, wonder if that had anything to do with the accident?

I think it very likely it did.

Depending on how many others witnessed what you saw, you may be able to provide useful information to the Air Accident Investigation team.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChrisY1 said:

I wonder why a Thai pilot licence is not recognized anywhere else, but Thailand..:))

If so, I suspect because English is a world wide requirement.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChrisY1 said:

I wonder why a Thai pilot licence is not recognized anywhere else, but Thailand..:))

Nonsense.  A Thai PPL (private) and CPL (commercial) are both recognized internationally including Europe, GB, US and Australia.  Yes, English language is a requirement of ALL pilots worldwide - including Thai.

• Like 2

I took one flying lesson 5 years ago. I remember the instructor telling how to descend and line up with the runway. I was waiting for him to take over the controls but he never did and before I knew it we had landed. So I suspect a mechanical failure because landing is not difficult if you listen to the instructor.

On 5/1/2023 at 10:41 PM, The Old Bull said:

I took one flying lesson 5 years ago. I remember the instructor telling how to descend and line up with the runway. I was waiting for him to take over the controls but he never did and before I knew it we had landed. So I suspect a mechanical failure because landing is not difficult if you listen to the instructor.

I have two years as a USA Navy Flight Instructor.  We generally flew three flights a day for five days a week if the weather was good.  My students probably averaged 8-10 landings a flight.  Lots of landings and I know it is not as easy as you think.  Yes I was the instructor!