Is the new online Visa mission impossible?

I am in the UK at the moment and have been travelling to Thailand for the past 17 years. The online visa process wants about 9 different items uploaded. Which includes a certificate of medical cover I booked my flight well in advance for 6 June and hoped to stay for 90 days. The new medical tourist tax that was suppose to be started in June now is put back to September. This tax I did not mind paying. I am now 80 and can't find a single insurer who will provide this cover. Despite having good health all my life.'

Could I do a 30-day visa on arrival. Then get a 30-day extension followed by a border run to get another 30-day visa on arrival. Am I correct in assuming this is possible or have I overlooked something. Is the new online visa really Mission Impossible?

When it turns out that you are not able to apply for the 60-day Tourist Visa or the 90-day Non Imm O Visa due to 'impossible' demands on the eVisa site, you can do as follows to stay 90 (or more) days in Thailand.

1 - Enter Thailand Visa Exempt (without a Visa), which will provide you with a 30-day Permission to Stay stamp in your passport by Thai border-immigration.  

NOTE: Be aware that when using that option, that your airline in order to let you board your departure flight might want to see an onward-ticket to an international destination on a date prior to that 30-day Permission to stay expiry date.  To meet that requirement you can simply buy a fully legit on-line flight reservation for as little as 12-15 US $ on sites like onwardflight.com or onwardticket.com, and the reservation is delivered in seconds after paying for it with your credit-card.  That reservation will be automatically cancelled 2-3 days after you receive it, so you need to book it close to your departure date.

2 - During the last 14 days of that 30-day Permission to stay you can visit ANY Thai Immigration Office and apply for a 30-day extension of stay (costs 1.900 THB) and it is delivered on the spot.  There is no need to wait till last day to do it, as the 30 days will be simply added to your Permit to stay expiry date.

NOTE: Most Immigration offices will require that you bring a copy of the TM-30 notification with you, which your Hotel/Guesthouse is required to make to notify local Immigration that a foreigner is staying at their premises. 

3 - During the final days of that extended Permission to stay, you would then need to exit Thailand (unless you are married to a Thai national which would allow you to apply for an additional 60-day extension of stay for reason of visiting your Thai wife or dependant Thai children).

And on re-entering VisaExempt - which can be done same day - you will once again receive a 30-day Permission to stay.  You could of course instead of returning same day, combine it with a nice holiday in the neighboring country where you exited. 

4 - If you exited Thailand on last day of your Permission to stay and returned same day, you would have exactly 90 days.  But if your return flight is more than 90 days after you entered Thailand, you could either

a) stay some extra days in the neighboring country to which you went in Step-3, to ensure that you would not be on overstay for your return flight, OR

b) once again apply for a 30-day extension of stay as outlined in Step-2.

Hope this helps to clarify the process. 

• Like 2

https://aseannow.com/topic/1286952-multiple-entry-non-o-london/?do=findComment&comment=18056923

The post I linked to above, provides the London Thai Embassy eVisa application experience from a user. 

When confronted with requirements that seemed odd or not applicable to his case, he e-mailed the London Thai Embassy and in the response he received they stated that he could leave open those fields that were not applicable.

Most applicants would simply give up when asked to provide such evidence, even when they are aware that it should not be required.  But having your application rejected and the application fee not being paid back would make most people hesitant about applying when they cannot meet some (even non-applicable) requirements. 

However, it's good to hear that this user did get response on his queries from the Thai Embassy and was ultimately successful in his application.

1 hour ago, Lemsta69 said:

Visa on Arrival only gives you 15 days and cannot be extended ????

says who? it's 'visa exempt' on arrival methinks......certainly my 45 day stamp was, now down to 30 days again

OP you can enter Malaysia 90 days no probs apparently if you're getting fed up of LOS ????

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, William C F Pierce said:

The online visa process wants about 9 different items uploaded. Which includes a certificate of medical cover I booked my flight well in advance for 6 June and hoped to stay for 90 days.

You haven't said what type of visa you were applying for. I would assume it was Non O for person over 50(retirement) which would be single entry for 90 days. 

Although the text on the embassy website still shows insurance being required it was in fact dropped on 1st July 2022.

Insurance is only required for O-A and O-X visas.

https://www.tatnews.org/2022/06/thailands-entry-requirements/

Edited by sandyf
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jimn said:

You are being pedantic.

No, I'm being accurate. Also I put the "winky" emoji to indicate that my comment was a bit tongue-in-cheek.

But up to you if you want to get all sad and confused about it, mai bpen rai.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

No, I'm being accurate. Also I put the "winky" emoji to indicate that my comment was a bit tongue-in-cheek.

But up to you if you want to get all sad and confused about it, mai bpen rai.

No problem but the OP is clearly a uk citizen 

3 hours ago, William C F Pierce said:

That is only for certain countries on a list. It does not apply to the UK. It is 30 days!!!!!!!!!!

Sure. The correct reply to you should have been that you are not eligible for a visa on arrival (which is for other nationalities) but are eligible for a visa exemption.

• Haha 1

I recently applied online for a 60 day tourist visa from the US.  It seems that there's a glitch in the system, as it was insisting that unnecessary documentation be uploaded. It was obviously a bug, not making any distinction between the requirements for a tourist visa versus other visa types.  In any event, I created a JPG file with the text "Not Required for Tourist Visa" and uploaded it for each of those "required" documents.  I received my eVisa about a week later.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, jimn said:

You are being pedantic.

Yes, this terminology issue has come up for years...'visa-exempt' vs 'visa on arrival' or 'free visa'....whatever the posters says instead of 'visa-exempt' when they have indicated they are from a country that qualifies for 'visa-exempt'.

43 minutes ago, DrDave said:

I recently applied online for a 60 day tourist visa from the US.  It seems that there's a glitch in the system, as it was insisting that unnecessary documentation be uploaded. It was obviously a bug, not making any distinction between the requirements for a tourist visa versus other visa types.  In any event, I created a JPG file with the text "Not Required for Tourist Visa" and uploaded it for each of those "required" documents.  I received my eVisa about a week later.

...and how many people abandon these seemingly impassable requirement steps...?

It's probably going to stay like that for years as no-one with initative will contact IT or whoever made the application GUI to put a simple 'not applicable' checkbox below some questions.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/2/2023 at 3:52 PM, William C F Pierce said:

Is the new online visa really Mission Impossible?

I found it the best thing since sliced bread. So easy now. I sit in front of computer and apply in five minutes now as I have all my documents in one folder in my computer. Prior to that, make copies, assemble them, go buy MO, put everything in the envelope and then go to PO to buy stamps and post it along with the passport. I had missed my Bahama tour. Now it is God sent and and so easy. Done in five minutes and get it in email after one week. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

I found it the best thing since sliced bread. So easy now. I sit in front of computer and apply in five minutes now as I have all my documents in one folder in my computer. Prior to that, make copies, assemble them, go buy MO, put everything in the envelope and then go to PO to buy stamps and post it along with the passport. I had missed my Bahama tour. Now it is God sent and and so easy. Done in five minutes and get it in email after one week. 

Is that recurring application for METV or another visa ?

I was sweating bricks as my application was so near flight last year and those unanswerable questions for a first time applicant..they have no way of knowing whether sending a "not appilcable" jpg etc will piss off the person reviewing their application...on first attempt.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, freedomnow said:

Is that recurring application for METV or another visa ?

I was sweating bricks as my application was so near flight last year and those unanswerable questions for a first time applicant..they have no way of knowing whether sending a "not appilcable" jpg etc will piss off the person reviewing their application...on first attempt.

I was just slightly worried about uploading the "N/A" JPGs for my SETV, but figured the worst that could happen is that they'd deny my application, I'd be out $40 and I'd have to visit a local I/O to get an extension once in Thailand.  The manual for the online application uses a Tourist Visa as an example, and doesn't show any of the "required but not required" documents in the step-by-step guide.

• Thanks 1

On 5/4/2023 at 4:36 AM, CartagenaWarlock said:

I sit in front of computer and apply in five minutes now as I have all my documents in one folder in my computer.

What docs are required for SETV though? Does it include the PP stamps?

On 5/4/2023 at 10:41 PM, DrDave said:

The manual for the online application uses a Tourist Visa as an example, and doesn't show any of the "required but not required" documents in the step-by-step guide.

Haven't seen that - is it on the evisa site or an embassy site?

19 minutes ago, Badger18 said:

What docs are required for SETV though? Does it include the PP stamps?

Haven't seen that - is it on the evisa site or an embassy site?

The website is thaievisa.go.th  (official government site). When I did my SETV application, I supplied images for the PP cover page, a current passport photo, and flight and hotel confirmations. Dummy images for everything else. The manual (PDF) is on that site.

• Thanks 1

OP - can you not simply apply for a 60-day tourist e-visa (no insurance required) and then get a 30-day extension in Thailand in the final week or two? That's what I've done several times over the last few years.

You mention marriage so if you want to move onto that extension, can't you apply for a non-O when in Thailand? Also, no insurance required if you do it that way.

Maybe I'm missing something, but that seems the easiest way to proceed.

The posts about dummy images for irrelevant questions is helpful.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/4/2023 at 11:41 PM, DrDave said:

I was just slightly worried about uploading the "N/A" JPGs for my SETV, but figured the worst that could happen is that they'd deny my application, I'd be out $40 and I'd have to visit a local I/O to get an extension once in Thailand.  The manual for the online application uses a Tourist Visa as an example, and doesn't show any of the "required but not required" documents in the step-by-step guide.

Can i chip in with a few quetions and thanks in advance even if you do not answer ???? 

Which ones did you skip?

Have to apply for the first time for a single entry tourist visa 60 days and it's a bit confusing.

They ask for accommodations. Do they want all the booking we made? So far booked 7 different hotels on Samui/Koh Phangan.

Or just the first stay?

Confirmation of legal residence?

No idea what that is, since we don't get a residence card or anything here in Denmark.

We got our social security card with an address, will that do?

Passport pages for showing travel the last 12 months.

Travelled in Europe but no stamps, so just leave that one alone or show them a photo of empty pages in passport?

Applicant must apply for e-visa via specific Embassy/consulate conforming with his/her consular jurisdiction and residency. Applicant is required to upload

document that can verify his/her current residency?

Again that's not a thing here in Denmark other than printed on our social security card . Leave Blank or include social security card ?

Yeah i'm confused ????

2 hours ago, Virt said:

Can i chip in with a few quetions and thanks in advance even if you do not answer ???? 

Which ones did you skip?

Have to apply for the first time for a single entry tourist visa 60 days and it's a bit confusing.

They ask for accommodations. Do they want all the booking we made? So far booked 7 different hotels on Samui/Koh Phangan.

Or just the first stay?

Confirmation of legal residence?

No idea what that is, since we don't get a residence card or anything here in Denmark.

We got our social security card with an address, will that do?

Passport pages for showing travel the last 12 months.

Travelled in Europe but no stamps, so just leave that one alone or show them a photo of empty pages in passport?

Applicant must apply for e-visa via specific Embassy/consulate conforming with his/her consular jurisdiction and residency. Applicant is required to upload

document that can verify his/her current residency?

Again that's not a thing here in Denmark other than printed on our social security card . Leave Blank or include social security card ?

Yeah i'm confused ????

There are two things the consular officials want to see:

1. that you have right of abode in Denmark (which as a Danish citizen you obviously do); and
  2. that you are physically present in Denmark when submitting the application.

If you have something to show you are in Denmark, great. If not, just submit a statement saying where you are staying (e.g. relative's house) and include a local Danish phone number. 

• Thanks 1