Divorce - Not the same passport

I went today to get divorced, cut a long story short as we have been married 16 years the current passport does not match the one on the marriage cert, iv been told i need to get this verified by going to embassy then translation

Im from UK i figured this could be done in a day but my german friend says it took him 6 weeks.

Does anybody know if this will be the same for UK or csn get the paper on walk in?

It will take time. First, you need to make an online appointment with the British Embassy to make a certified copy of your passport:

https://book-consular-appointment.service.gov.uk/TimeSelection?location=53&service=8

The nearest appointments are about 1 week away. The service costs £25.

Alternatively you can send your passport to them. Details here:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/notarial-and-documentary-services-guide-for-thailand#certified-copy-of-a-british-passport

Once you have the document you need from the British Embassy you will need to drop it off at a reputable translation company, along with a copy of your marriage certificate. The translation company will need a copy of your marriage certificate to get the exact translation required.

It's also likely the translation company will require a copy of your passport, so do take that to the translation shop aswell.

The translation shop will make the translation and then take all required documents to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs for legalisation. The translation shop will need to book an appointment at the MFA. Again, there is a waiting time to get a slot. Once at the MFA the legalisation will also take time.

I believe there is an express option with the MFA if required.

I am currently having a document translated and legalised.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/3/2023 at 4:34 PM, blackcab said:

It will take time. First, you need to make an online appointment with the British Embassy to make a certified copy of your passport:

https://book-consular-appointment.service.gov.uk/TimeSelection?location=53&service=8

The nearest appointments are about 1 week away. The service costs £25.

Alternatively you can send your passport to them. Details here:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/notarial-and-documentary-services-guide-for-thailand#certified-copy-of-a-british-passport

Once you have the document you need from the British Embassy you will need to drop it off at a reputable translation company, along with a copy of your marriage certificate. The translation company will need a copy of your marriage certificate to get the exact translation required.

It's also likely the translation company will require a copy of your passport, so do take that to the translation shop aswell.

The translation shop will make the translation and then take all required documents to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs for legalisation. The translation shop will need to book an appointment at the MFA. Again, there is a waiting time to get a slot. Once at the MFA the legalisation will also take time.

I believe there is an express option with the MFA if required.

I am currently having a document translated and legalised.

Cheers for the advice.

I actually got lucky, couldn't find the passport but i did find the original affirmation which was also translated in Thai, old work permit from 2 months after marrige, and my birth certificate.

The women said with these and if the signature on the secondary marriage document matched whats in current passport they will allow that.

So lucky and all sorted now.

• Like 1