Thai Embassy Savannakhet Laos Type O Marriage Visas

Yes, non-O based on marriage to a Thai is still available at the Royal Thai Consulate in Savannakhet. The only requirement I have seen that had changed is that there is now a requirement for a copy of your wife's passport. I took a copy of my wife's passport, which had expired, and presented all documents, except for the passport. They did not ask for it anyway, so all was well and I received my passport with visa on the following day. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

A mutual acquaintance, admittedly not the sharpest tool in the box, claims he was denied a MENO (Thai spouse) at Savannakhet on 22 May.

He was given all the relevant advice and the list of required documents but went off half-cock or, as he admits, didn't pay attention and traveled on a Monday without certain documents including the Marriage Certificate. However, he was making much of being unable to open a Thai account and furnish proof of funds. Now, we ALL know that for as long as we can remember and as recently as March, proof of finances have never been required at Savannakhet.

The visa information on their website, updated on 22 April 2023, still doesn't include proof of financials but does say "Consular officers reserve the rights to request additional documents as deemed necessary.they may ask for other documents as they see fit."

I would like to think that my nice but dim acquaintance has it totally wrong and he was turned away on the Consulate's busiest day ONLY because he didn't have the correct documents and they still don't need proof any financial information. Looking forward to an updated report to confirm that this is still the case as we live in interesting times.

14 hours ago, NanLaew said:

A mutual acquaintance, admittedly not the sharpest tool in the box, claims he was denied a MENO (Thai spouse) at Savannakhet on 22 May.

He was given all the relevant advice and the list of required documents but went off half-cock or, as he admits, didn't pay attention and traveled on a Monday without certain documents including the Marriage Certificate. However, he was making much of being unable to open a Thai account and furnish proof of funds. Now, we ALL know that for as long as we can remember and as recently as March, proof of finances have never been required at Savannakhet.

The visa information on their website, updated on 22 April 2023, still doesn't include proof of financials but does say "Consular officers reserve the rights to request additional documents as deemed necessary.they may ask for other documents as they see fit."

I would like to think that my nice but dim acquaintance has it totally wrong and he was turned away on the Consulate's busiest day ONLY because he didn't have the correct documents and they still don't need proof any financial information. Looking forward to an updated report to confirm that this is still the case as we live in interesting times.

While requirements are subject to change without notice, I am quite sure that the financial requirements were unchanged in April. Savannakhet processes hundreds of Multiple Non O visa applications each week, and we would soon know if there were many denials. Failing to show a marriage certificate is quite sufficient to be denied a Non O visa to visit your Thai spouse.

9 hours ago, BritTim said:

While requirements are subject to change without notice, I am quite sure that the financial requirements were unchanged in April. Savannakhet processes hundreds of Multiple Non O visa applications each week, and we would soon know if there were many denials. Failing to show a marriage certificate is quite sufficient to be denied a Non O visa to visit your Thai spouse.

Totally agree, but it's getting on for three months since the last report. Since one of the current threads on the Savannakhet MENO has already been closed, I thought it's worth keeping tabs and keep this thread 'fresh', just in case.

Edited by NanLaew