Latest on Savannakhet One-Year Multi-Entry.... just been and done.

Excellent report.

The last time I obtained a multiple non-immigrant O visa (Marriage) was back in 2017 and according to the OP's post very little has changed.

Since 2018 I have been on a retirement extension and yearly exit-re-entry permit which has saved me the hassle of doing a visa run every 90 days,

27 minutes ago, raysunshineray said:

I regard having to go out after nigh on 5 months as an opportunity to have a break/holiday/explore outside of Thailand, rather than seeing it solely as a visa run chore, but we all see things somewhat differently no doubt. 

That's very true however the financial requirements for extensions based on marriage set a very low bar. 

400k for 2 months prior to application is insignificant. 

Pretty much up to the individual. 

5 hours ago, raysunshineray said:

tore up the river frontage

It's torn up or have they finally put something nice along the banks of the Meekong?

It's been 6 years since I was there but it seemed pretty dilapidated back then. 

Nice report. 

32 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

It's torn up or have they finally put something nice along the banks of the Meekong?

It's been 6 years since I was there but it seemed pretty dilapidated back then. 

Nice report. 

Well yes, but it depends on one's preferences.

I prefer dilapidated because that's often something authentic and real, rather than 'cool' (ghastly word) and pretentious.

The actual riverfront is all cleaned up and new... a pleasant promenade if you like that kind of thing.

But the government didn't want the street sellers or the rough-and-ready restaurants... didn't suit the image they want to project, and not their idea of profitable enterprise.

There used to some very rough and rusted old tables and chairs set up under the trees on the earth floor overlooking the Mekong, where ladies served barbecued fish and cold beer, and the toilet was the bushes just to one side on the edge of the steep bank. Now that had atmosphere and authenticity, - to me - and low(ish) prices. 

It was 'natural' and somehow 'organic'.

I certainly don't expect everyone to view things in the same way, but one things for sure, - the old market square with its faded colonial buildings is now almost deserted, and the brand new night-market / food court is a soulless place without any atmosphere whatsoever. 

Yet some will prefer that no doubt.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, raysunshineray said:

Well yes, but it depends on one's preferences.

I prefer dilapidated because that's often something authentic and real, rather than 'cool' (ghastly word) and pretentious.

The actual riverfront is all cleaned up and new... a pleasant promenade if you like that kind of thing.

But the government didn't want the street sellers or the rough-and-ready restaurants... didn't suit the image they want to project, and not their idea of profitable enterprise.

There used to some very rough and rusted old tables and chairs set up under the trees on the earth floor overlooking the Mekong, where ladies served barbecued fish and cold beer, and the toilet was the bushes just to one side on the edge of the steep bank. Now that had atmosphere and authenticity, - to me - and low(ish) prices. 

It was 'natural' and somehow 'organic'.

I certainly don't expect everyone to view things in the same way, but one things for sure, - the old market square with its faded colonial buildings is now almost deserted, and the brand new night-market / food court is a soulless place without any atmosphere whatsoever. 

Yet some will prefer that no doubt.

Hopefully get a few upscale hotels. 

4 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

And it's pretty much up to the individual whether they consider 400,000 baht as insignificant, surely.

Well it's a very big contrast to money in bank method for extensions based on retirement.

In addition for extensions based on marriage the funds can be used to live on as soon as the extension is approved.

My eyes were opened during covid when the married guys who live in Thailand obtaining ME Non O visa were complaining that they could not switch to obtaining annual extension at Thai immigration. No funds.

The crying was over 400k in a bank (only for couple of months)  being too difficult. 

• Confused 1

21 hours ago, raysunshineray said:

Unfortunately we're living in a really remote area in Ubon now, far beyond the reach even of a 7 Eleven – (yes, that remote!) - and at our nearest town it's far easier to get hold of a tractor than US dollars.

Would be a lot easier to get Laos E-visa.

20 hours ago, transam said:

On leaving Laos I had my 100bht ready, they didn't want it, waved me through, my conclusion was I had an e-Visa......????

I didn't have to pay anything coming out of Laos at NK a few weeks back, also on e-visa. My wife had to pay something, think it was 20 baht.

2 hours ago, transam said:

Though most of the time you give good visa advice here, I don't think it prudent making assumptions/discuss other folk's financial situation regarding near 10,000 quid..... ????

You miss my point.

Maintaining 400k in Thai bank for 2 months + under consideration period and then being able to live off it for 9 months is a sweet deal. 

I specifically referenced those that couldn't obtain a ME non O marriage during covid and couldn't "transfer 400k" until borders open.

Heaven forbid they require medical treatment.

In the last 12 months I had a hip replacement which (kid you not) was 400k. 

Can't put 400k in a bank for 3 months!!......cry me a river..

12 minutes ago, transam said:

There you go again......................:huh:

"Can't put 400,000 in a bank for 3 months...cry me a river"

I expected better from you......."Jack"...:saai:

Thanks for being polite.

Clearly we have very different views on it.

Bit off topic but the ME non O marriage has been discussed as a misused visa. 

My take on that is ...not interested as it's a valid option so go for it.

If I was married it would be my go to visa as I enjoy travel to Saigon.

Would suit me perfectly.

The thing is when something makes it impossible eg covid then it's bit p weak to have folk complain that the 400k for 3 months is out of their reach.

Edited by DrJack54

12 hours ago, Kalasin Jo said:

Thanks! Excellent!

You went with your wife I see.

In the past I've gone alone for this. I assume that is still ok but that I will need an invitation letter from my wife. Anyone know for sure?

For a multi-O for wife, she does not have to be with you, my wife was eating somewhere.????

You do not need a letter from wife, the key is your original marriage certificates....????

• Like 1

On 4/5/2023 at 9:39 AM, transam said:

For a multi-O for wife, she does not have to be with you, my wife was eating somewhere.????

You do not need a letter from wife, the key is your original marriage certificates....????

Fantastic. Pretty sure it used to be a requirement but I may be confusing with other Embassies/ Consulates 

On 4/3/2023 at 2:43 AM, raysunshineray said:

Although each entry on that multi-entry visa allows another 60 days extension for 'wife visit', so in fact it's actually 150 days.

One 60-day extension per entry.

For me personally, I regard having to go out after nigh on 5 months as an opportunity to have a break/holiday/explore outside of Thailand, rather than seeing it solely as a visa run chore, but we all see things somewhat differently no doubt. 

Extending the the MEV by 60 days was something I had never considered 'doable'

Would it be possible to then further get a 30 day extension too?

13 hours ago, FARANG KIWI said:

Extending the the MEV by 60 days was something I had never considered 'doable'

Would it be possible to then further get a 30 day extension too?

It is best to get the 30-day extension first, and then the 60-day extension. Occasionally (though it should not matter) an immigration office may refuse to do it the other way round.

In Sydney at the moment. Went to Thai Consulate for non-imm. O (marriage), visa. No can do! Need to apply online, scan documents etc. Then in 4 to 8 weeks will send you an appointment time to bring in the form, documents, and money. Then you should receive visa within 10 days. Unbelievable dumb a......holes! During covid, been doing it at Chantaburi immigration. But my 450,000 baht is down to 300,000, due to buying some land. Could bring $5,000 from Oz, but rate is down to 22 baht, and need 2 months seasoning anyway. So coming back to Thailand this weekend without a visa. So looks like Savannaket is the go. Living here is a constant battle of wits with the po-faced bureaucrats!

• Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, BritTim said:

It is best to get the 30-day extension first, and then the 60-day extension. Occasionally (though it should not matter) an immigration office may refuse to do it the other way round.

I think what you are talking about refers to a tourist visa entry (or even a visa exempt) rather than the MEV mentioned.

If you enter on either a visa exempt or a tourist visa, you are allowed a 30 day extension, followed by a 60 day 'wife visit' extension.

And you are right in saying that immigration may insist that you do the extensions in that order.

If you are on a One-Year Multiple-Entry on the other hand, - as the previous post mentioned - that doesn't apply.

You enter on 90 days, then can extend for another 60 days 'wife visit' - and that's it... there's no 30 day extension on top of that.

15 hours ago, raysunshineray said:

If you are on a One-Year Multiple-Entry on the other hand, - as the previous post mentioned - that doesn't apply.

You are correct that you are not eligible for the 30-day extension of a tourist entry when you enter with a multiple entry Non Immigrant visa. However, I erroneously thought the post I was replying to was talking about the rules when entering with an METV (Multiple Entry Tourist Visa). The rules on extensions when entering with an METV are exactly the same as when entering with an SETV (Single Entry Tourist Visa).

Edited by BritTim