Dubai Airport

Hi

Anyone know if it's possible for cattle class passengers to get the use of the Emirates business class lounge in Dubai by paying for it? I know that this is possible with some airlines / airports. Ordinarily I wouldn't bother but next trip I have an 8-hour layover in Dubai and the wife and I don't much fancy kipping on the floor ('cos I know what that airport is like regarding lack of seating).

We would probably take a room in a nearby hotel but I think that would require transit visas, which we don't have - unless there's a hotel airside?

Any info. / suggestions?

DM

Don't have the link as I am away from my own computer, however if you do a google on Dubai airport, you will find there is an airport hotel on floor 2 of arrivals, I've used it before for around 6 hours and it cost me 80 quid, much better than hanging around the terminal.

Hi

Anyone know if it's possible for cattle class passengers to get the use of the Emirates business class lounge in Dubai by paying for it? I know that this is possible with some airlines / airports. Ordinarily I wouldn't bother but next trip I have an 8-hour layover in Dubai and the wife and I don't much fancy kipping on the floor ('cos I know what that airport is like regarding lack of seating).

We would probably take a room in a nearby hotel but I think that would require transit visas, which we don't have - unless there's a hotel airside?

Any info. / suggestions?

DM

a couple of hotels 10-15 minutes from airport by taxi if you arrive between midnight and 07.00 in the morning. otherwise you can forget a hotel as it would take too long due to stop-and-go traffic. visa on arrival takes 2 minutes.

Emirates lounge is most of the time quite crowded but excellent food and internet connection. sorry have no idea whether access by paying a fee is possible.

http://www.dih-dca.com/dih-dca/index.htm Found it, thats the link for the airport hotel on floor 2 arrivals,

http://www.asiatravel.com/uae/dubaiairport/index.html will give you an idea roughly of how much.

Thanks for the info. Sungod

I've just been quoted 140 GBP for the airport hotel stopover so it's looking like a night on the floor I'm afraid. The missus will not be amused!

DM

To be honest it would be fine to get to any hotel on that side of the creek, the traffic isnt really that bad unless your trying to get over one of the bridges.

Edited by madjbs

Hi

Any info. / suggestions?

DM

GET a hotel, the lounges are packed at Dubai ! 4 days ago I left the lounge and slept on the floor in the terminal,

I am in the same situation (6 hour wait in Dubai). My bro lives there and told me about a place in the airport called "Marhaba". It is a lounge that you can pay to get in that has a range of facilities.

Neither me nor my brother has used it yet, but I am considering doing it on this trip. Here is some more info...

Regardless of airline or class of travel, you can relax in style and enjoy the unique Arabian hospitality of the 24-hour Marhaba Lounge.

With its unique design, the Marhaba Lounge showcases modern Arabic art and culture alongside modern facilities such as internet access and widescreen TVs. The lounge can be used by any traveller and is not exclusive to those using Marhaba Meet & Greet services. No pre-booking is required.

Here is the website:

http://www.marhabaservices.com/marhabaServices/lounge.asp

Edited by ashacat

I am in the same situation (6 hour wait in Dubai). My bro lives there and told me about a place in the airport called "Marhaba". It is a lounge that you can pay to get in that has a range of facilities.

Neither me nor my brother has used it yet, but I am considering doing it on this trip. Here is some more info...

Regardless of airline or class of travel, you can relax in style and enjoy the unique Arabian hospitality of the 24-hour Marhaba Lounge.

With its unique design, the Marhaba Lounge showcases modern Arabic art and culture alongside modern facilities such as internet access and widescreen TVs. The lounge can be used by any traveller and is not exclusive to those using Marhaba Meet & Greet services. No pre-booking is required.

Here is the website:

http://www.marhabaservices.com/marhabaServices/lounge.asp

That sounds very interesting. I've taken a look their web site and it indicates that the charge for use of the lounge is 'from 23 USD'. Not quite sure what you get for that but has to be a bargain if it gets you away from the milling herd in the terminal. Some aspects of the web site are not operational right now, it seems, so I haven't got the full story. I'll look again in a few days.

DM

• 2 weeks later...

I tried to upgrade my last ticket to Business Class a couple of times (online and when I arrived in Dubai), but the plane was full and I was out of luck.

I tried to see if I could get a pass for the Business Class lounge anyways. The girl looked at my boarding pass, checked her computer and told me if I wanted to upgrade to go to the transfer desk (upstairs by gate 17).

I did, and after waiting for some "problem children" (you know the ones, the people that always seem to be ahead of you in line with some strange problem that requires the clerk to get the manager who has to talk to someone else. Then, when they give their answer, the problem child decides that's not good enough and wants them to check everything again from the start.) Any ways, no seats available.

Went back to the lounge and asked if I could buy a pass. No such luck. Ended up sitting in the Costas coffee bar for 2 hours. Lesson learned. Upgrade well in advance (or just buy the Business Class ticket in the first place, cheap SOB that I am !) :o

I tried to upgrade my last ticket to Business Class a couple of times (online and when I arrived in Dubai), but the plane was full and I was out of luck.

I tried to see if I could get a pass for the Business Class lounge anyways. The girl looked at my boarding pass, checked her computer and told me if I wanted to upgrade to go to the transfer desk (upstairs by gate 17).

I did, and after waiting for some "problem children" (you know the ones, the people that always seem to be ahead of you in line with some strange problem that requires the clerk to get the manager who has to talk to someone else. Then, when they give their answer, the problem child decides that's not good enough and wants them to check everything again from the start.) Any ways, no seats available.

Went back to the lounge and asked if I could buy a pass. No such luck. Ended up sitting in the Costas coffee bar for 2 hours. Lesson learned. Upgrade well in advance (or just buy the Business Class ticket in the first place, cheap SOB that I am !) :o

One 'problem' with Emirates - Skywards is that you cannot upgrade your ticket on-line. Has to be a phone call or a visit to the office.

You also need to upgrade at least 24 hrs in advance, but I am not sure if this is strictly enforced.