non o visa, retirement,savann

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

You can apply for a multi entry non O based on retirement at Savannakhet.

Thanks for info Dr. Jack & I assumed so by simply ticking that 'multi' box & paying the 5000 ????

However will they accept the 'money in bank document' (bank balance/deposit) rather than their only listed option of 'income proof' (embassy or bank proven)?

Edited by henry13
missing word-poor grammar

31 minutes ago, henry13 said:

Thanks for info Dr. Jack & I assumed so by simply ticking that 'multi' box & paying the 5000 ????

However will they accept the 'money in bank document' (bank balance/deposit) rather than their only listed option of 'income proof' (embassy or bank proven)?

They will accept money in the bank.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, BritTim said:

They will accept money in the bank.

Awesome BritTim. So now my next visa plan is almost settled happily ????

However a last technicality about the bank since I believe for in country extensions the money needs to be in a Thai bank & proven by bankbook print outs. So hopefully 'normal statements' of THB non bankbook account (foreign bank in thailand) also accepted we will see ???????? At least I'm looking forward to a Laos trip again and even isan ????

On 5/9/2023 at 8:18 AM, Red Phoenix said:

Is it because your wife does not like travelling to Savannakhet, that you are considering applying there for the 1-year MultipleEntry Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement (for which she does not need to accompany you)? 

Wives aren't required to be present at Savannakhet for the 1-year MENO "marriage visa" either.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/17/2023 at 10:38 PM, DrJack54 said:

You can apply for a multi entry non O based on retirement at Savannakhet.

thats with 800,000 in the bank , ( thai bank or any bank)

IF so
this is a good way to get out of being with an agent<

example;
Using an agent cause not having the baht in the bank to get ur 1 year extension.

Yet during the year you get the 800,000.
Obviously,  you cant get ur 2nd extension on ur own, ( cause you did not have the 800,000/400,000) for the time required during the year
BUT 
you could  travel to Laos when ur extension expires and get a New Non O 1 year, Multiple with ur thai bank book
am i correct?

• Confused 1

On 5/20/2023 at 1:11 PM, zzzzz said:

thats with 800,000 in the bank , ( thai bank or any bank)

IF so
this is a good way to get out of being with an agent<

example;
Using an agent cause not having the baht in the bank to get ur 1 year extension.

Yet during the year you get the 800,000.
Obviously,  you cant get ur 2nd extension on ur own, ( cause you did not have the 800,000/400,000) for the time required during the year
BUT 
you could  travel to Laos when ur extension expires and get a New Non O 1 year, Multiple with ur thai bank book
am i correct?

I believe the various requirement of seasoned money months before/after applying for extension would NOT apply for the multi Non O probably even the 400/800k amounts does not fully apply either?

Anyway my concern is with the thai bank/foreign thailand bank/any bank more than the amount though but happy with the info we have so far by the kind contributors ???? 

1 hour ago, henry13 said:

I believe the various requirement of seasoned money months before/after applying for extension would NOT apply for the multi Non O probably even the 400/800k amounts does not fully apply either?

Anyway my concern is with the thai bank/foreign thailand bank/any bank more than the amount though but happy with the info we have so far by the kind contributors ???? 

For a ME Non O visa the funds do not need to be in Thai bank account. 

Edited by DrJack54

9 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

For a ME Non O visa the funds do not need to be in Thai bank account. 

Just before going to Savannakhet to apply for the 1-year ME Non Imm O Visa (retirement), you should visit your Bank, do a small transaction (e.g. adding/withdrawing 1.000 THB from your personal account) and then ask the Bank to provide you with a Bank-Account Statement.  Such bank-account statement (sometimes referred to as a 'letter') will show that you are the Account-holder, as well as the current balance on that account.  It will be delivered on the spot and cost approx 100-200 THB.  

That Bank-account statement, together with your updated Bank Pass-book, will be iron-clad evidence that you meet the income requirement for that 1-year ME Non Imm O Visa (retirement).

NOTE: I always understood that you ALSO need proof of being retired and receiving pension, e.g. by showing a copy of the official Pension statement with pension equivalent to +65.000 THB on month basis.   

for the ME Non O outside thailand its  800,000  and being over 50

OR
65,000/month and being over 50
but no idea what kind of proof,  ( other than an embassy issued letter which the US does not give out) is accepted

1. (Please note that the applicant must be at least 50 years of age and no longer employed.)
  2. Financial evidence of at least 800,000 Thai Baht or 65,000 Thai Baht per month in income or retirement funds (or equivalent in any currency)

https://phnompenh.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/non-immigrant-o-visa-retirement?page=5d73b14415e39c46f40076a1&menu=5d73b14415e39c46f40076a2

Edited by zzzzz

On 5/22/2023 at 8:18 AM, zzzzz said:

for the ME Non O outside thailand its  800,000  and being over 50

OR
65,000/month and being over 50
but no idea what kind of proof,  ( other than an embassy issued letter which the US does not give out) is accepted

1. (Please note that the applicant must be at least 50 years of age and no longer employed.)
  2. Financial evidence of at least 800,000 Thai Baht or 65,000 Thai Baht per month in income or retirement funds (or equivalent in any currency)

https://phnompenh.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/non-immigrant-o-visa-retirement?page=5d73b14415e39c46f40076a1&menu=5d73b14415e39c46f40076a2

This embassy info from Cambodia seems to be more clear/precise or reasonable than the more ambivalent and/or between bank balance/income & retirement status (letter) for Laos which isn't even required for in country extensions so why would it be outside? ????

Edited by henry13
  • Haha 1

On 5/22/2023 at 8:13 AM, Red Phoenix said:

NOTE: I always understood that you ALSO need proof of being retired and receiving pension, e.g. by showing a copy of the official Pension statement with pension equivalent to +65.000 THB on month basis.   

The responses of @BritTim and @DrJack54 seem to indicate that applying for the 1-year ME Non Imm O Visa (retirement) at the Savannakhet consulate, only requires your passport (showing you are +50 years old) and proof of +800.000 THB or its equivalent on a Bank-account (not necessarily a Thai one).

I thought that you ALSO needed proof of being retired and receiving pension, e.g. by showing a copy of your official Pension statement with pension equivalent to +65.000 THB on month basis.  Has that 'pension' requirement - which definitely was applicable some years ago - been abandoned by the Savannakhet consulate?  

If so that would be great news as it would mean that EVERYBODY that currently has a Non Imm O (retirement) Visa or extension of such Visa, could apply for the 1-year ME Non Imm O (retirement) Visa at the Savannakhet consulate, with no need to keep the +800K semi-permanently on their Thai bank-account, no need to ever visit the local Imm Office anymore and no need for 90-day reports anymore. 

yep, the ME 1 year O looks nice, BUT although you dont need visit immigration every 90 days, ( or waste 10 minutes online from home)
you need LEAVE the country
which is both time consuming and costly for most
BUT also gives ya a reason to get off your ass an go somewhere  ????

2 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

If so that would be great news as it would mean that EVERYBODY that currently has a Non Imm O (retirement) Visa or extension of such Visa, could apply for the 1-year ME Non Imm O (retirement) Visa at the Savannakhet consulate, with no need to keep the +800K semi-permanently on their Thai bank-account, no need to ever visit the local Imm Office anymore and no need for 90-day reports anymore. 

I'm not sure if I understand your excitement. Not having to do 90-day reports (which can be done online within minutes), but actually having to leave the country every 90 days - that hardly looks like a benefit to me!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Caldera said:

I'm not sure if I understand your excitement. Not having to do 90-day reports (which can be done online within minutes), but actually having to leave the country every 90 days - that hardly looks like a benefit to me!

The main benefits are:

- that you would be able to free the +800K which you now need to keep semi-permanently on your personal Thai bank-account;

- that you would NEVER have to visit your local Imm Office again (which for those that resort under a rogue Imm Office would be a Big Bonus).

2 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

The main benefits are:

- that you would be able to free the +800K which you now need to keep semi-permanently on your personal Thai bank-account;

- that you would NEVER have to visit your local Imm Office again (which for those that resort under a rogue Imm Office would be a Big Bonus).

I kind of get your first point, but as you'd need those 800k a year later again anyway, using an agent looks like a better solution for anyone who struggles with the financials.

Never having to visit a local immigration office, BUT having to stamp out and back in every 90 days. Unless someone travels frequently anyway, I really struggle to see that as a benefit. Which offices are "rogue" with regards to the requirements for retirement extensions anyway?

On 5/22/2023 at 4:13 AM, Red Phoenix said:

Such bank-account statement (sometimes referred to as a 'letter') will show that you are the Account-holder, as well as the current balance on that account. 

That is a misleading comment.

Bank statements and a Balance Confirmation letter are two separate documents.

At my bank the former can be obtained over the counter but the latter must be ordered and signed by a manager.

Immigration will often require both.

On 5/15/2023 at 8:55 AM, BritTim said:

This is where it is very important to be accurate in the terminology used. When you have entered Thailand using a visa, this entitles you to a 60-day extension. It does not matter if you previously had entered using the same (multiple entry) visa and received a 60-day extension then. However, if your permission to stay from the entry with a visa is extended, and you leave and return with a re-entry permit, this does not entitle you to an extra 60-day extension. You only get one 60-day extension per entry into Thailand with a brand new permission to stay.

So i am ten months into my ME NO marriage from savannakhet, is it possible to get one year extension from CW without having to get a 60 day extension first?  

I travel in/out LOS every three weeks so 60 day complicates things

If not and i have to go savannakhet again, do i need to wait until current visa expires?

TIA

2 hours ago, sidgy said:

So i am ten months into my ME NO marriage from savannakhet, is it possible to get one year extension from CW without having to get a 60 day extension first?  

I travel in/out LOS every three weeks so 60 day complicates things

If not and i have to go savannakhet again, do i need to wait until current visa expires?

TIA

Yes, you can go straight for a one-year extension without ever using a 60-day extension. However, your schedule may still create difficulties. When you apply for the one-year extension of the permission to stay from your most recent entry, this is taken "under consideration" with a report back date typically about 30 days later. It is possible (with a re-entry permit) to take a trip outside Thailand during the under consideration period, but (i) you should ensure that Immigration knows of your plans; and (ii) you need to be back in Thailand before the end of the under consideration period to receive the final approved extension stamp.

The consulate in Savannakhet will not issue you with a new multiple entry Non O visa if the old one has not yet expired.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

When you apply for the one-year extension of the permission to stay from your most recent entry, this is taken "under consideration" with a report back date typically about 30 days later.

Ok , Thanks

Is it possible to convert a Non O marriage visa to Non O retirement or is it only possible to convert an  extension

TIA  

3 hours ago, sidgy said:

Ok , Thanks

Is it possible to convert a Non O marriage visa to Non O retirement or is it only possible to convert an  extension

TIA  

According to the letter of the regulations, there is no reason why a retirement extension from an entry on a Non O visa based on a Thai spouse should not be allowed. Many immigration offices, indeed, will be quite happy to support you in this as it is less work for them than a marriage extension. That said, it does depend on the immigration office, and some may raise obstacles.

• Thanks 1