non o visa, retirement,savann

Thanks for your report, confirming that you can still get a 1-year MultipleEntry Non Imm O Visa for reason of RETIREMENT when applying for it at the Savannakhet Consulate.  

The main document for such application being an official PENSION statement for an amount that meets the requirements (+65.000 THB monthly).   

• Like 1

I wonder if the consulate there would accept my US Social Security statement when backed up by my Bkk Bank book?  I was told at Samut Prakan Immigration that that should be good, until I tried to actually do that. Then they reverted to the “ letter from embassy” bit.

Anybody done this at Savannaket?

13 minutes ago, Kwaibill said:

I wonder if the consulate there would accept my US Social Security statement when backed up by my Bkk Bank book?  I was told at Samut Prakan Immigration that that should be good, until I tried to actually do that. Then they reverted to the “ letter from embassy” bit.

You are comparing two completely different things.

A ME non O retirement visa (12 months )  cannot be obtained in Thailand.

An extension to a non O retirement in Thailand would require embassy letter and 3 countries do not provide that.

UK, USA, AU 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kwaibill said:

I doubt it because they are looking for a "letter from your home country embassy validating your income"....and the U.S. Embassy stopped issuing such letters back in 2019.

13 minutes ago, Pib said:

I doubt it because they are looking for a "letter from your home country embassy validating your income"....and the U.S. Embassy stopped issuing such letters back in 2019.

But the OP didn't use an embassy letter, he used an Australian veterans department letter 

"What i use is a letter from the Australian Government,  Department of Veterans' Affairs STATEMENT OF PENSION"

21 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

But the OP didn't use an embassy letter, he used an Australian veterans department letter 

"What i use is a letter from the Australian Government,  Department of Veterans' Affairs STATEMENT OF PENSION"

Yea...good point.   Then maybe Savannakhet would accept a U.S. govt Social Security Administration (SSA) Benefit Letter/Statement which a beneficiary gets once a year via mail "or" if having an online SSA account just login and immediately download a fresh/dated today statement.

Below is a snapshot of Savannakhet webpage guidance regarding a Non 0 Retirement visa....I put some arrows next to the income requirements...line items 4 and 5.  To me line items 4 & 5 are somewhat unclear as to if a bank statement/Certificate of Income/Pension letter is adequate "OR" that bank statement/certificate of income/pension letter must be accompanied with a letter from a person's home country embassy validating the income.   Plenty of "or's" in line times 4 & 5 but I'm now of the opinion the embassy letter would not be required....and the US, UK, and AU no longer issue such letters.

https://savannakhet.thaiembassy.org/th/publicservice/non-immigrant-visa-o-visa-retirement-in-thailand?page=5d84a44c15e39c26b400453e&menu=5d84a44c15e39c26b400453f

image.png.864acf61a20fc30ad574dea9801fde81.png

Edited by Pib
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

You are comparing two completely different things.

A ME non O retirement visa (12 months )  cannot be obtained in Thailand.

An extension to a non O retirement in Thailand would require embassy letter and 3 countries do not provide that.

UK, USA, AU 

Not comparing anything. Asking if anyone has satisfied income requirements in Savannakhet using Social Security and/or bank book.

Well aware of the situation re: embassy letters within Thailand. Why I asked. My wife does not like traveling there anymore. Samut Prakan IO is a pita about income methods.

Sorry, I did not indicate asking relative to a marriage extension.

Edited by Kwaibill
Amp
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Kwaibill said:

Not comparing anything. Asking if anyone has satisfied income requirements in Savannakhet using Social Security and/or bank book.

Well aware of the situation re: embassy letters within Thailand. Why I asked. My wife does not like traveling there anymore. Samut Prakan IO is a pita about income methods.

Yes. Think I misunderstood your point.

I assume that you are aware of non O marriage and extension requirements.

It only requires 400k for two months prior to application for annual extension.

You can then withdrawal that whenever you want.

Good deal. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Pib said:

Below is a snapshot of Savannakhet webpage guidance regarding a Non 0 Retirement visa....I put some arrows next to the income requirements...line items 4 and 5.  To me line items 4 & 5 are somewhat unclear as to if a bank statement/Certificate of Income/Pension letter is adequate "OR" that bank statement/certificate of income/pension letter must be accompanied with a letter from a person's home country embassy validating the income.   

image.png.864acf61a20fc30ad574dea9801fde81.png

Line six also says single entry (so 90 days) but OP got 12 months multi-entry? I wish consulates would post what they actually issue....

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Thumbs Up 1

i started using this letter in Brisbane about 17years ago used to take about 20 mins ,then pick up in afternoon ,then come back next day was not long after that it closed and the new office no way,, so i live not far (3hrs) from Savann so i gave it a try and this is my 5th  Kwaibill send them an email or go over and give it a try like i did

10 hours ago, Kwaibill said:

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Kwaibill said:

Is it because your wife does not like travelling to Savannakhet, that you are considering applying there for the 1-year MultipleEntry Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement (for which she does not need to accompany you)? 

Dear Ba Ba,

It was indeed a pleasure to see the visa in your passport upon your return to Isaan and yet again get a 12 month visa to enable you to come and go as you please and provide suitable entertainment at our afternoon beer meetings ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Congratulations 

If I get a 12 months multiple entry non O in savanakhet as indicated by the OP can I still do my 90 days reporting and future extensions at my local immigration office or do I need to leave the country every 90 days.thanks.

Edited by supermac

1 hour ago, supermac said:

If I get a 12 months multiple entry non O in savanakhet as indicated by the OP can I still do my 90 days reporting and future extensions at my local immigration office or do I need to leave the country every 90 days.thanks.

you have to leave every 90 days ,, also if you come back into thailand on the last day of the visa you will get an extra 90 days that gives you a 15 months ,you don't have to go near imm in thailand

1 hour ago, supermac said:

When you have a 1-year MultipleEntry Non Imm O Visa, this provides you with a 90-day permit to stay each time you enter Thailand during the Visa's 1-year validity.  That 90-day permit can be extended for 30-days at your local Imm Office (and if you are married to a Thai national, you can on top of that also apply for an additional 60-day extension of stay for reason of visiting your wife). 

When you are on such a 1-year ME Non Imm O Visa there is no need to do 90-day reports. 

When you travel fairly regularly abroad (e.g. 2-3 trips every year) that Visa is ideal. 

And when you get tired of having to leave Thailand every 90 days (or after 120 or 180 days, when having applied for extensions), there is also the option to apply for a 1-year extension of that Non Imm O Visa, but obviously that requires that you then meet the financial and other requirements for such application.

Edited by Red Phoenix
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Red Phoenix said:

When you have a 1-year MultipleEntry Non Imm O Visa, this provides you with a 90-day permit to stay each time you enter

Thanks I do not wish to leave thailand every 90 days I want to do my reporting at local IO and all subsequent extensions also, so is it best to get a 90 day non O single entry based on retirement and  then extend it locally within the 90 days, or can I get a 12 months non O based on retirement in savanakhet saving me having to go through the whole process again in 2 months but this option must allow me to do my repor,ting and future extensions internally many thanks.

11 minutes ago, supermac said:

Thanks I do not wish to leave thailand every 90 days I want to do my reporting at local IO and all subsequent extensions also, so is it best to get a 90 day non O single entry based on retirement and  then extend it locally within the 90 days, or can I get a 12 months non O based on retirement in savanakhet saving me having to go through the whole process again in 2 months but this option must allow me to do my repor,ting and future extensions internally many thanks.

In that case you would need to apply for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa at the Imm Office of the province where you plan to reside.  Note that this can only be done when you have entered Thailand VisaExempt or on a Tourist Visa, and there are at least 15 days left on the Permit to Stay of that Visa (both can be extended with 30-days in case you don't have sufficient time to prepare your application for that Visa). 

When you received the 90-day Non Imm O Visa as mentioned higher or entered Thailand on a 90-day Non Imm O Visa that you acquired abroad at a Thai Embassy/Consulate, you can apply for the 1-year extension of stay based on that Non Imm O Visa at the local Imm Office of the province where you plan to reside, and this can be done during the last month of the Permit to stay of that 90-day Non Imm O Visa.  

Edited by Red Phoenix
  • Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

When you have a 1-year MultipleEntry Non Imm O Visa, this provides you with a 90-day permit to stay each time you enter Thailand during the Visa's 1-year validity.  That 90-day permit can be extended for 30-days at your local Imm Office (and if you are married to a Thai national, you can on top of that also apply for an additional 60-day extension of stay for reason of visiting your wife). 

When you are on such a 1-year ME Non Imm O Visa there is no need to do 90-day reports. 

When you travel fairly regularly abroad (e.g. 2-3 trips every year) that Visa is ideal. 

And when you get tired of having to leave Thailand every 90 days (or after 120 or 180 days, when having applied for extensions), there is also the option to apply for a 1-year extension of that Non Imm O Visa, but obviously that requires that you then meet the financial and other requirements for such application.

This is mostly correct, with one exception. The 90-day entries on a Non Immigrant visa are not eligible for a 30-day extension. The 30-day extension is only for people who enter with a tourist visa or visa exempt.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BritTim said:

This is mostly correct, with one exception. The 90-day entries on a Non Immigrant visa are not eligible for a 30-day extension. The 30-day extension is only for people who enter with a tourist visa or visa exempt.

Thanks @BritTim for correcting me!  And you are of course fully correct. 

• Thumbs Up 1

36 minutes ago, Nong Khai Man said:

What are the Requirements at Savanakhet Changing a Retirement Visa Extension, Back to a Marriage Visa Multi " O "....Do YOU Still need to Show Money in a Thai Bank ??

Assuming your permission to stay based on retirement has been cancelled, a multiple entry Non O visa based on marriage to a Thai is available in Savannakhet with minimal financial requirements. They may ask to see proof of 20,000 baht (or equivalent) in any bank account. That is not specific to the ME Non O, but can be asked for when applying for any visa there.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/11/2023 at 4:08 PM, BritTim said:

Also some offices will only allow one 60 day extension per visa not entry.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, bigt3116 said:

Also some offices will only allow one 60 day extension per visa not entry.

This is where it is very important to be accurate in the terminology used. When you have entered Thailand using a visa, this entitles you to a 60-day extension. It does not matter if you previously had entered using the same (multiple entry) visa and received a 60-day extension then. However, if your permission to stay from the entry with a visa is extended, and you leave and return with a re-entry permit, this does not entitle you to an extra 60-day extension. You only get one 60-day extension per entry into Thailand with a brand new permission to stay.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

This is where it is very important to be accurate in the terminology used. When you have entered Thailand using a visa, this entitles you to a 60-day extension. It does not matter if you previously had entered using the same (multiple entry) visa and received a 60-day extension then. However, if your permission to stay from the entry with a visa is extended, and you leave and return with a re-entry permit, this does not entitle you to an extra 60-day extension. You only get one 60-day extension per entry into Thailand with a brand new permission to stay.

I know my terminology and I reiterate, SOME offices will only give you one 60 day extension per VISA, and some will give you the 60 days for each entry.

I am planning to go to Savannakhet for a 1 year Non O ME based on Marriage to my Thai wife. I tried to book a room for a few nights using Expedia. Everything is booked. I usually stay at Pilgrims Inn. Any daily room recommendations close to Thai Consulate? Please let me know.

Thanks

3 hours ago, bigt3116 said:

I know my terminology and I reiterate, SOME offices will only give you one 60 day extension per VISA, and some will give you the 60 days for each entry.

That sounds like an official trying to get out of doing his job. Which office did you experience this at?

• Like 1

I also like the Savannakhet office as have used in the past for multi O with the marriage certificate & thai id card as main documents to get the yearly visas.
However now divorced but 50 years + I'm wondering if I can use the 800,000 thb savings in a bank statement option as I don't have any pension income document although I'm not from US/UK/AU...
Or is there another consulate/embassy I should rather visit for my case as I prefer to avoid the in country extension but may at least initially need a single non O option anyway?
Thanks guys for all your assistance :)   

48 minutes ago, henry13 said:

I also like the Savannakhet office as have used in the past for multi O with the marriage certificate & thai id card as main documents to get the yearly visas.
However now divorced but 50 years + I'm wondering if I can use the 800,000 thb savings in a bank statement option as I don't have any pension income document although I'm not from US/UK/AU...
Or is there another consulate/embassy I should rather visit for my case as I prefer to avoid the in country extension but may at least initially need a single non O option anyway?
Thanks guys for all your assistance ????   

You can apply for a multi entry non O based on retirement at Savannakhet.