MG EV Home Charger install - I am unsure what comes first

Hi All,

I have an MG EP PLUS on order, and they said once we have the car, they will arrange the installers to install the charger.

I have read and see that a dedicated 15/45 meter can be used, and that TOU Tariff can be beneficial if we charge at the right times.

I am a bit confused having just been to PEA to ask about a new dedicated TOU meter install at our house.  They wanted all sorts of info about the Charger, and asked if it is already installed.  When I said I wanted a dedicated meter installing first so that it's all set for when they come to install the charger - they looked at me like I had let off a bad smell.

So, I'm obviously missing something, about what comes first - and the right steps to take.

Can anyone advise what I should be doing in order to prepare for a smooth installation of the  MG Home Charger on its own dedicated 15/45 TOU Tariff meter?  Seems a bit of a chicken/egg situation.

Many Thanks

• Like 1

I can't answer from experience, yet, not got our EV.

Seems a bit odd, I suspect your local PEA have never done a dedicated EV meter.

Try this: -

Talk to MG and get their installer's details. Get him to organise with PEA.

Do let us know how you get on; this is all pretty new stuff. At least here.

If all else fails you can still charge at a couple of kW with the Granny-Lead.

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

I can't answer from experience, yet, not got our EV.

Seems a bit odd, I suspect your local PEA have never done a dedicated EV meter.

Try this: -

Talk to MG and get their installer's details. Get him to organise with PEA.

Do let us know how you get on; this is all pretty new stuff. At least here.

If all else fails you can still charge at a couple of kW with the Granny-Lead.

Ah that's a great idea about getting the installers details.  I'll do that next time I'm taking paperwork to the MG dealer.

I suspect it's because I want a dedicated meter - so presumably PEA want to know they have a consumer unit/fusebox thing to connect up to.  The MG installers probably want the same, but already set up with the dedicated meter.  So its possible that if I go this route - I may need to get a third installer, or a 2 trip install from the MG lot and pay them extra for the consumer unit etc.

Will update this post once I've got it figured out.

Thanks  ????

7 minutes ago, zoolander said:

You need to confirm pea will fit the tou meter first. Then you need to install the wiring from where the new meter will be to where you will be charging the car. The new wiring needs to be to spec.

Afterwards pea need to install the meter. Then MG contractor will come and install the charger.

They said that I can have a tou meter for sure, but there was some confusion because they wanted the charger already installed.  Or that were used to that being the case. Which seems weird. They will be calling me later hopefully with more info. 

I think you're right yes, it seems the snag is the additional wiring that both MG and PEA require. 

At this stage, I think I'll go with the idea to just let the MG installer and PEA hash it out and have them just tell me the bottom line of how much money I need to give to whom. 

So Neta will install the home charger but they do not run the cables to the PEA pole outside the property. We need to find someone else to do this. What size, spec. Cable is required? Anybody done this already? It will be a separate TOU meter.

Thanks 

On 5/16/2023 at 3:10 AM, surat04 said:

So Neta will install the home charger but they do not run the cables to the PEA pole outside the property. We need to find someone else to do this. What size, spec. Cable is required? Anybody done this already? It will be a separate TOU meter.

Thanks 

I'm still waiting for the car to come into stock (next week) before MG will send the crew around.

I'm hoping the install crew will have a side hustle to do whatever is missing (I expect that a new small consumer unit for the new meter/connection will need to be installed alongside the charger), then I think PEA will install the meter.  I have no clue whether PEA will run the wire from the meter to the consumer unit, or whether I'll have to have the crew back for that part.  

At least this thread may serve as a good repository of experiences with getting the chargers installed in various circumstances.

In my case - my circumstance is:-

PEA

I want a new meter (15/45 TOU) - Time of Use is worth having in my situation for the charger.
MG installers in Chiang Mai - Currently I know they are ok with a dedicated 15/45 meter, but details of what/who happens when and additional costs is still a little unclear.  I will update once I've navigated through it all.

• Like 1