Are there therapists for depression here?

sotonfarang

Hi all. My friends Thai wife is struggling with depression and we are trying to find out if therapists/someone professional to talk to are something that's available here. Not sure where to start looking. Any advice /suggestions would be greatly appreciated...and while I am here RIP Ubon Joe, helped me with so many things for the last 17 years, sleep tight mate, legend.

Edited by sotonfarang

There needs to be more places for people who are depressed and it should be paid for by the government. Depression can take a turn for the worst if left untreated and can come with severe consequences for those around them. Most people don’t want to admit it and they have a hard time accepting help. Nobody should be ashamed of feeling depressed and ostracized. Hopefully people will step up and offer help in a positive manner. 

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Here's what I posted tuther day 

I suffer bouts of depression and I had a bad spell about 2 weeks ago, still ongoing. My wife phoned around for an appointment at a couple of hospitals. Best that she could come up with was an appointment in 3 months. I have no choice but to self medicate. I live Buriram/Korat area.

Edited by IvorBiggun2
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, zeekgarcia said:

Several public hospitals have mental health departments, which the health care cost is at least partially, if not fully covered under the Thai social insurance program.

Okay thank you 

3 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

Sheryl as a first stop, and BNH call to check out availability for an initial consult.

I'm in Phuket but not practicing now otherwise I could perhaps help. I would advise not to procrastinate at all and seek a consult as soon as can be arranged ...

... Even if your wife changes to another therapist after only 1 consult at least she'll be sitting with a therapist and getting initial care and some relief.

If you are at all concerned for her safety then take her to BNH as soon as possible.  I also recommend BNH they are a great institution.

The fee is irrelevant where your wife's wellbeing is concerned, what is imperative is that you take caring and nurturing action without delay.

I would advise watching carefully, monitor her state of mind, take her to places she likes and are calming, happy, and safe, maybe don't let her drive AND NOT ride a bike, if there are dangerous medications about put them in a safe place.

If you have friends of family that aggravate or upset her ask them to stay away for a time.

If you have any weapons in the home remove them, if your wife drinks then talk to her and explain that booze makes sadness much worse, and contract with her that the two of you will make sure she doesn't drink much.

Let her know you don't judge her or think she is wrong in any way, and that she can talk to you at any time and doesn't need to lock her feelings away to herself.

Its really important to let her know you see her as ok, that she is ok, and that her feelings matter and are all valid. 

Tell her 'directly' that you care, that you love her, and together we will move through this sadness.

All the best mate.

Very helpful advice thanks. What's BNH ?

BNH is a private hospital in Bangkok but there are better and less costly alternatives in Bangkok for talk therapy.

In the Pattaya area all you will find for a Thai are psychiatrists, who will prescribe drugs after a (usually very brief) consultation. (There are some Western  therapists as well but geared entirely to farangs)

Psychiatrists can be  found  in all large private hospitals (BPH, Memorial, Phyathai Sri Racha etc) and also at Chonburi regional hospital (government).  I am not sure re Bang Lamung. Psychiatrists in government hospitals will be young, often still in training, and overworked....and definitely will not proivde talk therapy.

In Bangkok, if she is willing to travel, the following have Thai therapists who can provide counselling:

https://ncsbkk.com/ncs/index.php/counseling/about/

https://www.psiadmin.com/psis-professionals

2 minutes ago, sotonfarang said:

Where is that please?

In Thonburi area of Bangkok

https://somdet.go.th/

It is the nearest government psych facility (though as above, the regional hospital will also have at least one or two psyhciatrists). It too will be more apt to prescribe medicine than to provide talk therapy.

15 minutes ago, sotonfarang said:

Where is that please?

It's in BKK across the river (Thonburi area?) but I just read you are in Pattaya. However my wife was under treatment there for schizophrenia and as a Thai she preferred it over the private hospitals such as Bangkok Hospital. Can find on google maps

My mother suffered from depression, they say it’s hereditary, I often wake up in the morning feeling very depressed.

What I do find is alcohol is one of the causes, I never drink more than 2 beers because anymore I know I will wake up feeling very depressed. My remedy is to focus on the day ahead and plan what I am going to do, I went through counselling but it didn’t help.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

In my experience mental health in Thailand is virtually unheard of.

All you get us a brief consultation and a bucket of pills to take.

There are no therapy sessions to attend and it's left to the family to try and help as best they can.

At least this is my experience here in Isaan with a close family member.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Andycoops said:

There are no therapy sessions to attend and it's left to the family to try and help as best they can.

It's not that its unheard, its in my opinion more or less a mass processing. There are maybe 20 to 50 patients assigned to one doctor (mostly young) who has a time window of maybe 15 minutes for the "counseling" hence no talk therapy either. Totally agree more or less you just get pills and the rest is left to the family without having the knowledge and capacity. This is indeed a huge lack in Thailand and patients / families could be helped much better if more time and counseling could be given.

• Like 1

On 5/12/2023 at 6:25 AM, Andycoops said:

I wonder why. Don’t they have psychology majors in college and grad school? Seems like people would start private practices with group therapy or psychoanalysis.

• Like 1