Exclusive: Britain has delivered long-range ‘Storm Shadow’ cruise missiles to Ukraine ahead of expected counteroffensive, sources say

55 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

MiG-29 Fulcrum and Sukhoi Su-27

Poland's President Andrzej Duda said last week that his country had already delivered eight MiG-29 fighter jets to Ukraine and added that it was able to send the whole remaining fleet, which would include those of German origin. Apart from Poland, Slovakia has also committed to send MiG-29 fighter jets to Ukraine

https://www.politico.eu/article/germany-ukraine-poland-mig29-fighter-jet-russia-war/

But how long will it take to integrate the weapon with the platform.

It will probably be easier to integrate into older aircraft depending on their computer interface specs given that the original Storm Shadow design is now nearly 30 years old.  It depends which version they are getting!

• Confused 2

31 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

No idea, do you not think they've already thought about that and put in place the necessary measures to ensure it all integrates?

You asked about what planes, I gave you the info, any more info I suggest you do what I do and search.......

You have just mentioned two aircraft which we all know the Ukrainians have!

It does not answer my question which I assumed most people would have understood (wrongly) as to which ones they have integrated them into and (unstated) how.   It is not a piece of Lego that you just stick on the aircraft, the word is "integration" of a weapon system into and onto an aircraft,

Where was the integration done, which version(s), who did it and to what aircraft etc?  You do not integrate new weapon systems overnight!

Is it just a publicity stunt/fog of war deception statement!

• Confused 2
  • Haha 2

Does this weapon have to be launched from an aircraft?also the Ukrainian nation has a long vibrant history with aircraft designs and manufacturing im absolutely sure they would be able to build something capable in short order slava Ukraine ???????? evict the criminal invaders from your country!

• Thumbs Up 1

UPDATE: Russia threatens 'military response' after UK gives long-range missiles to Ukraine

image.png.90ed79a1de91cb7aa9f63d3edfbe4e05.png

The UK has been threated with a "military response" by Russia after pledging to send long-range missiles to Ukraine.

The UK's defence secretary said Storm Shadow missiles will be provided to Ukraine's military - and Sky News understands that some of the missiles are already with Ukrainian troops.

In response to reports the deal had been done, Moscow said the move would require an "adequate response from our military".

https://news.sky.com/story/russia-threatens-military-response-after-uk-gives-long-range-missiles-to-ukraine-12878786

image.png.a62d180f9740d6e1f09eeb52d4f8d5cc.png

• Haha 2

On 5/11/2023 at 9:05 PM, scottiejohn said:

It does not answer my question which I assumed most people would have understood (wrongly) as to which ones they have integrated them into and (unstated) how.   It is not a piece of Lego that you just stick on the aircraft, the word is "integration" of a weapon system into and onto an aircraft,

Where was the integration done, which version(s), who did it and to what aircraft etc?  You do not integrate new weapon systems overnight!

Your asking the wrong question. The only important question is what will they shoot.

The chance of them telling you that is as small as answering your technical questions about systems integration during war time. The Russians would also love to know.

Now if you will excuse me, I have a bridge to find on a map.

https://news.yahoo.com/military-expert-storm-shadow-capabilities-170700132.html

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/11/2023 at 7:17 PM, scottiejohn said:

But how long will it take to integrate the weapon with the platform.

It will probably be easier to integrate into older aircraft depending on their computer interface specs given that the original Storm Shadow design is now nearly 30 years old.  It depends which version they are getting!

Ukraine's Storm Shadow Missiles Are A Big Problem For Russia

"As to how the Storm Shadow will be employed, that’s unclear, although Wallace seemed to indicate that it would be air-launched, and not adapted for a ground launcher. He said that part of the reason for the time it has taken to get the missile to Ukraine was due to “working out if it was technically feasible” to integrate them on unfamiliar aircraft."

https://news.yahoo.com/ukraines-storm-shadow-missiles-big-171346915.html

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/11/2023 at 9:05 PM, scottiejohn said:

How are Storm Shadow missiles launched?

Another point to note on the Storm Shadow is that it can only be air launched at the moment, from a Eurofighter Typhoon jet.4 days ago

https://www.telegraph.co.uk › news

Storm Shadow missiles to Ukraine 

Very confused news as usual.

Edited by Kwasaki

Su-24 and Su-27 can carry a Storm Shadow missile, but not program it (bulgarianmilitary.com)

According to the link the missile is too heavy for some Ukrainian warplanes but the Su-24/27 can carry them.  It also states that if the aircraft cannot be modified to integrate the missile into their weapon control system the missile can still be pre-programmed on the ground pre take off and launched at predetermined targets.

Edited by scottiejohn
spelling
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

How are Storm Shadow missiles launched?

Another point to note on the Storm Shadow is that it can only be air launched at the moment, from a Eurofighter Typhoon jet.4 days ago

https://www.telegraph.co.uk › news

Storm Shadow missiles to Ukraine 

Very confused news as usual.

I'm sure the Russians would love to know all the details and which planes they can look out for to target.

In the meantime it looks like France is following suit with long range missiles, they also develop the Storm Shadow but call it SCALP-EG.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

I'm sure the Russians would love to know all the details and which planes they can look out for to target.

In the meantime it looks like France is following suit with long range missiles, they also develop the Storm Shadow but call it SCALP-EG.

Yeah I sort of get the feeling UK is good at supporting Ukraine with  getting a lead in trying to get Europe and USA to give better more sophisticated weapons to which they seem reluctant to do. 

Looks like UK got Germany to up it's game and others starting with challenger tanks and now the long range missiles.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

According to a report I saw the French are giving them Mirage 2000 fighters - no longer in use with the French but still a potent bit of kit. Pilots are already training in France. 40 aircraft I heard.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1