Up days down days

bignok

Physically or cognitively, or emotionally?

I think it's normal.

Doesn't mean we can't do anything about it.

I had a friend who would always say "Tomorrow will be better" when having a bad day.

I have adopted this simple practice and it helps me.

If you are thinking negatively you might look up "common cognitive distortions" on the web.

I went to a seminar on the "common cognitive distortions" for my work once and I learned a lot about

negative thinking leading to depressive moods.  Has helped me.

My belief is that as far as solutions to this kind of problem, everything works for somebody and

nothing works for everybody. 

So I would take the suggestions that seem helpful (by which I mean my suggestions LOL) and

don't worry about the ones that don't seem helpful.

Good luck to you.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cdemundo said:

Physically or cognitively, or emotionally?

I think it's normal.

Doesn't mean we can't do anything about it.

I had a friend who would always say "Tomorrow will be better" when having a bad day.

I have adopted this simple practice and it helps me.

If you are thinking negatively you might look up "common cognitive distortions" on the web.

I went to a seminar on the "common cognitive distortions" for my work once and I learned a lot about

negative thinking leading to depressive moods.  Has helped me.

My belief is that as far as solutions to this kind of problem, everything works for somebody and

nothing works for everybody. 

So I would take the suggestions that seem helpful (by which I mean my suggestions LOL) and

don't worry about the ones that don't seem helpful.

Good luck to you.

Emotionally. Happy one day, disinterested the next. Physically Im fit.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Is it normal to feel great one day and lousy the next? Or could this be a sign of bi polar or depression? 

I'm not a fan of assigning labels.

We all have bad days, but have to deal with them.

First stop is to identify what makes you unhappy. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bignok said:

Finding meaning and purpose is the issue. Many things don't bother me, more so many things lack purpose. I'm bothered by lack of action, meaning and fulfillment. 

What's the point of living in a crazy world? So much nonsense in the world.

no kids ? 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, bignok said:

Finding meaning and purpose is the issue. Many things don't bother me, more so many things lack purpose. I'm bothered by lack of action, meaning and fulfillment. 

I tend to agree ....   I would much rather be back on the farm building fences and mustering cattle ....  I felt good then and I was doing something useful.      just saying ...    i miss those days

• Like 1

AFAIK there aren't precise & measurable criteria by which you can determine whether feeling perfectly fine - even happy - one day and inexplicably feeling pretty sh***y the next, points to a particular problem up in the noggin or elsewhere, like hormonal imbalances, etc..

(All this assumes there are no external life-circumstances going on that might naturally trigger such feelings......such as  getting a pay rise one day and having to get a visa extension in Thailand the next. ????)

Bignok, I'm not making a joke of it. I genuinely sympathize. I've had 'the black dog' swings my whole life, so I offer my thoughts sincerely & with good intent & understanding.

Tbh, I wonder whether or not it might be something you could learn to live with, or accept, that it ain't far off being pretty normal tbh....... and unless it's unbearably extreme in its manifestation, I suggest you don't worry too much that there might be something terribly wrong with you . ????

• Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, bignok said:

Not really but I notice it more in the morning. At night I enjoy life. Mornings I don't have much interest in anything. Perhaps I'm just a night person.

It is fairly common for symptoms of depression to be worse in the morning and gradually subside during the day. 

If low mood is keeping you from doing what you enjoy, you might want to consider getting screened for depression.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, bignok said:

Not really but I notice it more in the morning. At night I enjoy life. Mornings I don't have much interest in anything. Perhaps I'm just a night person.

If you don't mind me asking, what's your alcohol and/or cigarette/weed consumption, if any?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Try some physical exercise daily, walking or swimming or some weights maybe. 

i too have had periods of ‘down’ moments which tend to occur more at night rather than the day time.

finding a hobby, musical instrument, sport, business, cooking, craft, learn a new skill from YouTube or something to do of interest might be difficult but keep trying things hopefully you’ll find something’s that you can put your mind to. 

hope this helps somewhat?

Edited by NightSky
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, NightSky said:

Try some physical exercise daily, walking or swimming or some weights maybe. 

if it’s any conciliation my ‘down’ moments are more at night rather than the day time.

finding a hobby, musical instrument, sport, business, cooking, craft, learn a new skill from YouTube or something to do of interest might be difficult but keep trying things hopefully you’ll find something’s that you can put your mind to. 

hope this helps somewhat?

I exercise daily.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Woof999 said:

Do something small each day to make your corner of the world slightly less crazy.

Find a new hobby. Try at least 1 thing new each week until you discover something that gives you new goals, new meaning, new invigoration.

Surround yourself with positive people (I can't even begin to explain how much of a difference this can make). Cut out the negatives in your life. You're not here to save the world, you're here to live your 1 life to the fullest extent possible.

Get off of the internet. It's not real. Got out in the the physical real world and meet real people. The ones that you can punch when they get in your face, or hug when they make your day.

If it all gets too much, give me a shout. I'm here today, tomorrow, next week, whenever you need me.

Take care bud.

I try to avoid negative types but my best friend has turned negative due to bad woman. After listening to him whinge non stop for 2 hrs i feel lousy. He told me he has been miserable for 15 years. I had no idea. Hates his wife. Only stayed due to kid. He cant leave without a settlement. Im trying to help him but cant stand listening to it. My other best friend lives far away.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, bignok said:

I have the same issue, for quite some time too. I've slowed down, mainly due to laziness, which I think is a big part of the problem. I used to jog/run a lot. I'd train for weeks and months to enter a 10km or half marathon. It really took me out of my comfort zone, which in hindsight was a great thing.

I see joggers on the side of the road, I want to yell at them to stop rolling their shoulders.

I've tried other sports, but they aren't as fulfilling as running 4 or 5 times a week, trying to improve time, find better running shoes, trying a different route, setting up a travel schedule for the next event. A lot of it is a big pain in the <deleted>, I get grumpy, dirty, sweaty, smelly, angry about all the costs involved and I still can't break the 2 hour point.

But I have no choice, I have to start running again. Probably until the day I die. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, bignok said:

I try to avoid negative types but my best friend has turned negative due to bad woman. After listening to him whinge non stop for 2 hrs i feel lousy. He told me he has been miserable for 15 years. I had no idea. Hates his wife. Only stayed due to kid. He cant leave without a settlement. Im trying to help him but cant stand listening to it. My other best friend lives far away.

Perfect. You already know who to punch. Now find those that are worthy of a hug.

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, bignok said:

Is there another choice? We all live in our own world to a great extent... maybe increase your percent. 

"Mr. Burns, you must come back to reality,"

"I'll go, but only as a tourist." - -

1000 Clowns

Many many years ago, a lady friend and I used to discuss meaning and purpose... then she bumped into an old friend who used to have. similar conversations w/her... the friend told her that once she had kids, she stopped thinking about meaning and purpose. And I have felt the same in my life - as I get on, and lose interest, 'been there done that' style... I still need to take care of my wife and kid. 

Just now, bignok said:

How do you find meaning in a world where most people are morons?

There are others who are extremely bright and interesting... and even then some just on certain subjects... sounds like maybe you are expecting too much from too many.