Thai School Principal Unveils Salary Details, Sparks Massive Public Interest

webfact

4 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Oh, the crazy defamation law where the truth is no defence? Well yes but you would have to actually name someone or make it unmistakably clear who you were talking about.

Yes, *that* crazy law.  :-). Ah, I didn't realize there was that loophole.  So if you only strongly imply a thing that you cannot directly say, it holds up in Thai court?  I wouldn't be surprised if this is selectively enforced. 

Edited by wealthychef

1 hour ago, wealthychef said:

Yes, *that* crazy law.  :-). Ah, I didn't realize there was that loophole.  So if you only strongly imply a thing that you cannot directly say, it holds up in Thai court?  I wouldn't be surprised if this is selectively enforced. 

Social media is one way to bring it out into public view. It's the main way to get action from the various dept of the G on any issue that brings light to a problem, police included. A school in a northern province was outed for pocketing school funds for children's lunch about 2 years ago if memory serves me. That defamation law is thrown around all too often yet seldom have you seen it enforced, just threatened. Im not suggesting to give full names and details but enough info can be put out to start the ball rolling but there in lies the problem, what enforcement and punishment will occur, probably like most of these stories they will disappear into the vapor as their is no real investigative journalism and the few stories that follow up are so edited they are worthless.

17 minutes ago, Dan O said:

Social media is one way to bring it out into public view. It's the main way to get action from the various dept of the G on any issue that brings light to a problem, police included. A school in a northern province was outed for pocketing school funds for children's lunch about 2 years ago if memory serves me. That defamation law is thrown around all too often yet seldom have you seen it enforced, just threatened. Im not suggesting to give full names and details but enough info can be put out to start the ball rolling but there in lies the problem, what enforcement and punishment will occur, probably like most of these stories they will disappear into the vapor as their is no real investigative journalism and the few stories that follow up are so edited they are worthless.

Fair enough!  Up to each individual to weigh the risk/benefits for themselves, but ultimately what will make the difference is when workers decide to work collectively together to change their conditions.  

• Love It 1

8 minutes ago, wealthychef said:

Fair enough!  Up to each individual to weigh the risk/benefits for themselves, but ultimately what will make the difference is when workers decide to work collectively together to change their conditions.  

That is absolutely correct. Until the masses say enough is enough it will not stop. 

Unfortunately thai's I know don't seem to feel the corruption really affects them in their daily life that much. They know it happens, they don't like it, know it's wrong, but it's almost like well that's only at the top in Bkk, or it's in that other g dept or in that other industry so my daily life doesn't change as a result. And when a little tea money does trickle down to them it's like well I can't afford to give it up cos I'm so poor I need it too.

They don't seem to realize that money is coming from them or due them for proper care and services, better roads, cheaper utilities, better salaries, etc.. And if most if the corruption was gone everyone's life would improve as a result.  Catch 22 almost

• Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, asf6 said:

She will have started her job at the same salary as she had before getting the job. Her salary is not really related to being a director (there is no 'Director's Salary' as such) but her working in the government educational system (teachers and educational personnel). She will not have been offered a higher salary to tempt her to take the job. Also, the school is located in NakonSawan 'city', the main town in the province, and it has a population of about 82,000. I'm sure there were plenty of candidates for the position. 

She would get a base salary, and a "position payment" for being Director. Probably similar to what my wife used to get in her government position. Her salary will increase, but it would hit a ceiling, and then would require more traning/masters/PhD to get to higher levels. My wife was C9 for many years but it took her close to 20 years to get to that level. 

5 minutes ago, DavisH said:

She would get a base salary, and a "position payment" for being Director. Probably similar to what my wife used to get in her government position. Her salary will increase, but it would hit a ceiling, and then would require more traning/masters/PhD to get to higher levels. My wife was C9 for many years but it took her close to 20 years to get to that level. 

I don't think there is a "position payment" for being a director of a government school in Thailand. As you saw in the OP and the Tiktok video if you have watched it, the woman gave 3 figures: 33,230, 5,600 and 5,600. None of those are a position payment.  

18 hours ago, Dan O said:

That is absolutely correct. Until the masses say enough is enough it will not stop. 

Which is exactly what I was getting at earlier.  They all moan about corruption but many of them take part in it in one way or another.  Either taking or giving, it needs to stop but will only do so when the Thai people stop their participation and reject corruption completely - not going to happen.

• Thumbs Up 1