Covid-19 cases surge 39% in a week, public urged to take precautions

webfact

8 minutes ago, AndyFoxy said:

7th jab? Sweet Jesus.

Over a 2-1/2 year period that COVID vaccines have been available, which would be two initial shots and then boosters every 6 months or so thereafter.  Which is pretty much what the public health authorities have been advising.

Do you also exclaim "Sweet Jesus" when people go to get their annual flu vaccine shot each year?

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

That's now six straight weeks of increased COVID hospitalizations

For the record, I mis-spoke in my comment above, so I want to correct it... (I'm away from home and traveling right now...)

The tally of new COVID hospitalizations for the period two weeks ago declined slightly, before resuming its upward trend in the latest report for last week.

So the corrected version is, new weekly COVID hospitalizations in Thailand have increased in 5 of the past 6 weekly reports, and as noted, are now about 12 fold higher than they were at the start of April.

10 hours ago, webfact said:

He recommended that people who had their last dose of vaccine or who were last infected more than six months ago receive an additional vaccine dose and get vaccinated against influenza simultaneously, to reduce the risk of severe symptoms from infection by either of the viruses.

Why would anyone make a blanket recommendation for people to get the flu vaccine if they hadn't previously needed it?  What is the rationale?

Most people who get the flu are fine with a little rest.

Definitely something fishy here.

25 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Definitely something fishy here.

Back on the conspiracy theory trail again....

Who Should & Who Should NOT Get Vaccinated

"Everyone 6 months of age and older should get an influenza (flu) vaccine every season, with rare exceptions. Different influenza vaccines are approved for different age groups. Some people (for example, pregnant people and people with some chronic health conditions) should not get some types of influenza vaccines, and some people should not receive flu vaccines at all (though this is uncommon)."

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/prevent/whoshouldvax.htm

When it comes to the flu, the following groups are those that the CDC considers to be at the most risk of complications:

--Children aged 6 months through 4 years (59 months);

--People aged 50 years and older;*

--People with chronic pulmonary or cardiovascular, renal, hepatic, neurologic, hematologic, or metabolic disorders

--People who are immunosuppressed due to any cause;

--People who are or will be pregnant during the influenza season and people up to two weeks after delivery;

etc etc

8 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Back on the conspiracy theory trail again....

It's not a conspiracy theory at all.  It's the sudden addition of protection from flu to justification to anti-covid measures.

We didn't have this "you should follow masking and social distancing because of the flu as well", "everyone should be vaccinated against the flu" rhetoric before.  It's literally just popped up as people are asking the public to maintain covid restrictions.

It's fairly obvious that where normal flu wasn't mentioned before, then when covid starts getting better people start adding flu to reasons for following covid restrictions, the thing they want is the covid restrictions and they're looking for reasons to maintain those restrictions, not to protect people from flu.

It's extremely sensible to question this.

Edited by BangkokReady

Routine annual flu vaccinations have been a public health recommendation for a long time, including predating COVID.

Your original posted conspiracy theory comment was only about the ongoing push for people to get flu vaccines.

And I responded with clear info that the CDC pretty much recommends that almost everyone get an annual flu vaccine.

In that post, you didn't originally comment at all about masking or any other COVID measures, only to try to drag those into the issue later.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Routine annual flu vaccinations have been a public health recommendation for a long time, including predating COVID.

Only for old or vulnerable people.  Saying that everyone should get them is something new.

5 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Your original posted comment that I addressed was only about the ongoing push for people to get flu vaccines.

In that post, you didn't originally comment at all about masking or any other COVID measures.

Right, but then I added some more in my response to you so you know a little more of the context.  That was from another article posted within the last couple of days.

4 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

My wife (45) and daughter (6) currently have it now - maybe showing for 3 days - probably from an obese Bolt driver coughing and spluttering his guts up after being shoe horned into the car.

Daughter pretty much over it in 48 hours - but will keep her off school for a bit.

Wife is getting hit worse, high temp, sore throat, cough, and oddly lots of poo !!

Me totally fine - guess my 3 UK vaccines were better than the 6 Thai ones they took

Are you isolating from your wife? Be careful if you are not. My wife had it for the second time last week. She ust had a dry and a bit of a sore throat and fatigue. Nothing else and tested negative after a few days. Her first bout was more intense but still manageable. I've not had it and haven't worn masks for 6 months - only occasionally at work but not often. Diarrhea is a common side effect of omicron infection and can be dangerous if it causes dehydration and one does not take adequate fluids (the sore throat may make it painful even to drink). 

• Like 1