What do you expect from your (big) bike dealer - service center?

13 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

There is a difference between knowing something, or maybe even a lot, about your bike, and being able to do anything on your bike.

A long time ago I had a garage with lots of tools. Now, not anymore.

And then there is the fact that some of us are busy, and we just want somebody competent taking care of our bike(s).

I'm sure you know I can understand that and finding a competent person in Thailand is difficult as I came to know.

I am fortunate thesedays to know who and where I can take my bike if I don't want to carry out the work myself.

Hope they sort your bike OK as least you will know yourself if they haven't.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, stubuzz said:

You should really replace the sprockets when fitting a new chain.

Why.?

Seems senseless if sprockets are not worn appreciably.

The rear sprocket on my dirt bike is original, 32 yrs old.

Still ok.

I change front sprocket and chain ever year or so.

2 hours ago, papa al said:

Why.?

Still ok.

Why !!!

Manufacturers recommendations. ????

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, papa al said:

Why.?

Still ok.

I think there are two possible problems with the chain (or maybe more).

A) It was lubricated and after a lot of usage the chain stretches and that will also make the sprockets bad, because the chain doesn't fit anymore into the groves (or whatever those things are called). Then the chain and sprockets have to be replaced. Because a new chain on the bad sprockets wouldn't be new for long.

B) The chain was not properly lubricated. The chain is not stretched, but the links are not "flexible" anymore. Then, I guess, only the chain has to be replaced and not the sprockets.

My issue is B. I didn't lubricate the chain as often as I should have. 

9 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think there are two possible problems with the chain (or maybe more).

A) It was lubricated and after a lot of usage the chain stretches and that will also make the sprockets bad, because the chain doesn't fit anymore into the groves (or whatever those things are called). Then the chain and sprockets have to be replaced. Because a new chain on the bad sprockets wouldn't be new for long.

B) The chain was not properly lubricated. The chain is not stretched, but the links are not "flexible" anymore. Then, I guess, only the chain has to be replaced and not the sprockets.

My issue is B. I didn't lubricate the chain as often as I should have. 

If you bought a Regina chain you wouldn't have to lube just give it a wash and wipe now again.????

11 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

If you bought a Regina chain you wouldn't have to lube just give it a wash and wipe now again.????

That's my experience after a bit over 8k km without lubrication.

Regina recommends to lube the chain after rain and steam cleaning. I did not and it's still very good.

I'll buy Reginas for my other bikes too.

Do you know if they are available in Thailand? If not, I'll take one from Germany for may Thai CBX500

1 minute ago, JustAnotherHun said:

That's my experience after a bit over 8k km without lubrication.

Regina recommends to lube the chain after rain and steam cleaning. I did not and it's still very good.

I'll buy Reginas for my other bikes too.

Do you know if they are available in Thailand? If not, I'll take one from Germany for may Thai CBX500

I have seen them for sale here 2,500 or so, I will get one when My X chain is at the not adjustable position on my test swing arm markers. 

It is only half way at mo so many kilos to do still.

I'm not entering the TT this year. 

As for sprockets even an amateur can see if the sprocket teeths have a flat top, obviously if they are looking pointed it's well beyond it's usefulness.

For some these are one of the many bike parts on bikes which just get OCD opinions.