"The First Year of AI College Ends in Ruin", Says the Atlantic. So then...What about using Bard on Popular Forums? Will this be Permissible and also Entertaining now that it is possible?

17 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

That is a completely different animal, compared to Bard.

The icon you refer to seems intended for use as just some sort of chatbot toy, to while away dreary hours in the countrysides of Thailand. 

I am talking about a fully fledged Bard capable of entirely automating the comment-posting process.

Would you like something like this?

Would you lose interest knowing that most content is written by a machine?

I don't believe you understand the current level of this technology. The only thing that the typical poster here would be able to accomplish with theses LLMs is to rewrite what they had written to clean up their grammar. That can only be a good thing.

Most topics on the board are so unique that chatbots in most cases could not create a convincing post. Not only that but CGPT model was trained until late 2021.

The other models Bard and Bing chat are fairly worthless. I've never been able to get them to do even simple complex tasks. Bing just takes enormous amounts of time then hilariously spits out a Wikipedia page link.

Bing will always be flawed and so will Bard if it mirrors this model (above) because it is search + chat. Search = advertising revenue. So, this (money) will always corrupt the results. The business is search (60% of Google revenue).

You do understand the technology isn't actually thinking correct? It's quite clever but not smart.

All models are also fairly or very politically correct/ biased. Might be perfect for today's Aseannnnow board nannies 55555. I tried a chatbot trained recently by UC Berkeley it was atrociously woke. Bard is woke as well. Let's hope for the best with Musk's Truth GPT.

I'm certain in your knowledge quest about Chomsky it spat out only accolades. ????

As an aside, some posters have perhaps even unwittingly used some of this technology already. Google has long incorporated into GBoard and it's search algorithms. There's Alexa, Siri. A number of Education sites such as Grammarly also use this tech.

Expatriates come here for special, narrow, niche and current information that often comes from the other posters direct experience. This would in all likelihood not be trustworthy or actionable information from even the latest model of CGPT. What if someone scraped the whole of Thai Visa and offered that as a chatbot? That would be much closer to the mark but what you often see is that in posts is that: posters are often incorrect say on immigration, banking issues or the random hit miss nature of foreigners dealing with Thai bureaucracy you couldn't trust much of anything. What might work and would be quite expensive would be for a chatbot to be built on facts about say immigration, banking much like many corporation are doing to interact with customers or internal knowledge base.

In short, there is too much misinformation in general and the woke nature of post Thai Visa aka Asseannnnow board loads of disinformation as well. Membership has plummeted. Especially with Joe having passed it will be extremely challenging for this board to stay relevant to expats. CGPT doubtfully will not help. Certainly, the poorly written news articles on non newsworthy topics seemingly gets stupider by the week especially in US News section. That's poor judgement. Stupid ideas are always stupid even if it's written well. Learn to discern the difference.

Chomsky, anachronism. Dinosaur lol.

TLDR: No, not worried

Edited by Plern

39 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Are you able to further clarify your thinking about the differences between Richter and Hewitt, concerning the interpretations of the WTC?

"Sure. Here are some of the key differences between Angela Hewitt and Sviatoslav Richter's interpretations of Bach's Well-Tempered Clavier:

• Hewitt's playing is more transparent and lyrical, while Richter's is more dramatic and powerful. Hewitt's playing allows the individual voices of the music to shine through, while Richter's playing creates a more immersive and visceral experience.
  • Hewitt's tempo choices are generally more moderate, while Richter's are often faster and more impulsive. Hewitt's playing is more measured and deliberate, while Richter's playing is more spontaneous and exciting.
  • Hewitt's interpretation is more historically informed, while Richter's is more personal and subjective. Hewitt's playing is based on her understanding of Bach's original intentions, while Richter's playing is more influenced by his own personal feelings and emotions.

Ultimately, the choice of which pianist you prefer is a matter of personal taste. There is no right or wrong answer. However, I hope that this explanation has helped you to understand the differences between Hewitt and Richter's interpretations of Bach's Well-Tempered Clavier."

Maybe Bard has already run out of steam.....on this topic.

But board members do not come here to discuss such high minded things. These are generally speaking simple folk, looking for in general terms specific and current information about Thailand. That would belong on a classical music board. Again, this is just general information in somewhat compare contrast formula. Nothing especially novel.

Another issue is AI hallucinations. If you ask it to write 500 words on the keyboard wizardry of Plern it will do that. Look great, read even better. Only trouble is I don't play piano.

18 minutes ago, Plern said:

I don't believe you understand the current level of this technology. The only thing that the typical poster here would be able to accomplish with theses LLMs is to rewrite what they had written to clean up their grammar. That can only be a good thing.

Most topics on the board are so unique that chatbots in most cases could not create a convincing post. Not only that but CGPT model was trained until late 2021.

The other models Bard and Bing chat are fairly worthless. I've never been able to get them to do even simple complex tasks. Bing just takes enormous amounts of time then hilariously spits out a Wikipedia page link.

Bing will always be flawed and so will Bard if it mirrors this model (above) because it is search + chat. Search = advertising revenue. So, this (money) will always corrupt the results. The business is search (60% of Google revenue).

You do understand the technology isn't actually thinking correct? It's quite clever but not smart.

All models are also fairly or very politically correct/ biased. Might be perfect for today's Aseannnnow board nannies 55555. I tried a chatbot trained recently by UC Berkeley it was atrociously woke. Bard is woke as well. Let's hope for the best with Musk's Truth GPT.

I'm certain in your knowledge quest about Chomsky it spat out only accolades. ????

As an aside, some posters have perhaps even unwittingly used some of this technology already. Google has long incorporated into GBoard and it's search algorithms. There's Alexa, Siri. A number of Education sites such as Grammarly also use this tech.

Expatriates come here for special, narrow, niche and current information that often comes from the other posters direct experience. This would in all likelihood not be trustworthy or actionable information from even the latest model of CGPT. What if someone scraped the whole of Thai Visa and offered that as a chatbot? That would be much closer to the mark but what you often see is that in posts is that: posters are often incorrect say on immigration, banking issues or the random hit miss nature of foreigners dealing with Thai bureaucracy you couldn't trust much of anything. What might work and would be quite expensive would be for a chatbot to be built on facts about say immigration, banking much like many corporation are doing to interact with customers or internal knowledge base.

In short, there is too much misinformation in general and the woke nature of post Thai Visa aka Asseannnnow board loads of disinformation as well. Membership has plummeted. Especially with Joe having passed it will be extremely challenging for this board to stay relevant to expats. CGPT doubtfully will not help. Certainly, the poorly written news articles on non newsworthy topics seemingly gets stupider by the week especially in US News section. That's poor judgement. Stupid ideas are always stupid even if it's written well. Learn to discern the difference.

Chomsky, anachronism. Dinosaur lol.

TLDR: No, not worried

Stupid is as stupid does. 

Monkey see., monkey do. 

Someday, GIANTS will walk this Earth, just not yet. 

Please be patient. 

• Love It 1

1 minute ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Stupid is as stupid does. 

Monkey see., monkey do. 

Someday, GIANTS will walk this Earth, just not yet. 

Please be patient. 

What does this even mean?

11 minutes ago, Plern said:

What does this even mean?

It means that biological evolution is slow. Machine evolution is fast. 

Read more Searle, maybe. 

The Chinese box. 

The cat in the hat. 

I know that you know these allusions. 

• Love It 1

2 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

It means that biological evolution is slow. Machine evolution is fast. 

Read more Searle, maybe. 

The Chinese box. 

The cat in the hat. 

I know that you know these allusions. 

I'm just going to assume that late night meth binge is lapsing into today.

Some biological things evolve quickly, some machines and or technologies evolve slowly.

Again, I'm at a loss...

23 minutes ago, Plern said:

I'm just going to assume that late night meth binge is lapsing into today.

Some biological things evolve quickly, some machines and or technologies evolve slowly.

Again, I'm at a loss...

As you say. 

Your loss. 

The Chinese room argument holds that a digital computer executing a program cannot have a "mind", "understanding", or "consciousness",[a] regardless of how intelligently or human-like the program may make the computer behave. The argument was presented by philosopher John Searle in his paper "Minds, Brains, and Programs", published in Behavioral and Brain Sciences in 1980. 

• Love It 1

4 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

As you say. 

Your loss. 

The Chinese room argument holds that a digital computer executing a program cannot have a "mind", "understanding", or "consciousness",[a] regardless of how intelligently or human-like the program may make the computer behave. The argument was presented by philosopher John Searle in his paper "Minds, Brains, and Programs", published in Behavioral and Brain Sciences in 1980. 

I stated precisely this as a response to your post so I am again lost on your post. Current AI models are not sentient, far from it. Merely, fancy parlor trick/s. Will AGI happen? Singularity? Yes. I believe so.

19 minutes ago, Plern said:

I stated precisely this as a response to your post so I am again lost on your post. Current AI models are not sentient, far from it. Merely, fancy parlor trick/s. Will AGI happen? Singularity? Yes. I believe so.

I never doubted you, for a moment. 

There is a huge difference between pure science and Hocus pocus. 

And, as you know, the fastest way to get to the SINGULARITY is to cross the event horizon, and enter a Black Hole. 

Speaking of Black Holes, think The Great Attractor. 

Or, in Pattaya,... Who knows? 

• Love It 1

2 hours ago, Plern said:

I fear you are correct. Most of the more colorful posters have departed, some from their own volition. Others have to tread a very fine line when informing another poster they are as dumb as a can of soup. While others may try to fill the void Ubon Joe has left, I doubt anyone can.

If Crossy and Sheryl were no longer on this forum, ASEAN would have very little of use to me. I would then be like a cat, scratching the wooden furniture of the heads of some posters. Mild mental exercise.

Edited by Lacessit

20 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Certainly, this would save much time. And, we might certainly end up with better quality comments, too.

But would there be a downside to having BARD comment for us, while we do other things such as baking bread, or crocheting socks? 

People comment because they have something to say.  Having an AI comment on your behalf would be pointless.  People don't comment because they want a comment to exist, they comment because they want to create a comment themselves.

Online comments are about sharing opinion or information then getting some sort of feedback, whether that's a like, upvote, reaction or reply.  If there was zero reaction, as in your comments just hung there with no reaction or reply, people would get bored very quickly.

If an AI generated a comment, then there is no value in any "reward", so people would not bother.

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I fear you are correct. Most of the more colorful posters have departed, some from their own volition. Others have to tread a very fine line when informing another poster they are as dumb as a can of soup. While others may try to fill the void Ubon Joe has left, I doubt anyone can.

If Crossy and Sheryl were no longer on this forum, ASEAN would have very little of use to me. I would then be like a cat, scratching the wooden furniture of the heads of some posters. Mild mental exercise.

image.thumb.jpeg.9e15bc8ba28a2b2ae115177c5495e973.jpeg

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1