Cannabis shop near top school suspended amid licence scrutiny

webfact

image.jpeg

Photo Courtesy of Flickr

by Mitch Connor

A cannabis shop near the prestigious St Joseph Convent School on Silom Road has had its licence suspended for one month by the Department of Thai Traditional and Alternative Medicine (DTAM). The dispensary had been operating for six months before receiving criticism due to its proximity to the all-girls school.

DTAM’s director-general, Thongchai Lertwilairattanapong, revealed that the suspension was a result of the shop owner’s failure to submit monthly reports on cannabis usage and storage to the DTAM’s registrar. Thongchai also stated that there is no specific regulation regarding the location of cannabis shops, but the issue will be addressed if the Cannabis and Hemp Act is passed by parliament.

In the future, the department plans to inspect cannabis shops more thoroughly before granting licences. In related news, Thailand’s Cannabis Future Network announced on its Facebook page that it plans to organise a pro-cannabis event after the new government is established.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/cannabis-shop-near-top-school-suspended-amid-licence-scrutiny

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-05-24

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, JoePai said:

Umm how did they get their license in the first place ?

DTAM is responsible for issuing licenses.

They should not be issuing licenses for shops within some acceptable minimum distance from a school. For now use the alcohol distance limit (if any, I think it was 300 m but that may have been changed to something more vague), or ask the school administrator/MoE for a recommended minimum distance.

Simple. Easy. No MS in Rocket Science needed.

25 minutes ago, webfact said:

In the future, the department plans to inspect cannabis shops more thoroughly before granting licences.

D'Oh.

BTW a lot of the products on display in the photo appear to be illegal, assuming they are a THC content of greater than 0.2%. "Cannabis Lollys" for example. And not sure about the wine coolers/beers, unless those are smoking accessories?

I mean I might have a problem with EVERYTHING in that photo, pending a close up review. But then it could all be sub 0.2% product.

Does this shop actually sell legal Cannabis Flower?

Edited by bamnutsak

4 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

BTW a lot of the products on display in the photo appear to be illegal, assuming they are a THC content of greater than 0.2%. "Cannabis Lollys" for example. And not sure about the wine coolers/beers, unless those are smoking accessories?

I mean I might have a problem with EVERYTHING in that photo, pending a close up review. But then it could all be sub 0.2% product.

Does this shop actually sell legal Cannabis Flower?

It s a stock photo, not from Thailand...