How To Renounce Australian Citizenship for Thai.....

No I don't have a PR visa. Married to Thai, family business etc and eligable to apply. From investigating online the Thai governement require a letter of intent to renounce Australian citizenship from the Australian governement in order to apply for a Thai citizenship but one does not have to follow through. This has actually been confirmed to us by the Thai Police special branch that handle citizenship applications.

If an Australian who has been through the experiece of getting a Thai Citizenship granted could give me information needed that would be fantastic as each country has a different process.

13 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

My ex-wife has Thai and Australian citizenship so why can't you. Why would you want to renounce your Australian citizenship?

Apparently A Thai can have duel citizenship but for a foreigner they need to renounce or at least show intent.

16 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Before you do anything silly like renouncing your Aussi citizenship that you will regrate later, check to be a 100% that you must do that, to me it looks incorrect, why don't you ask the Australian embassy for their opinion. 

I have no intention of renouncing it unless push came to shove but apparently you don't need to renounce. As Thai society is built on a charade showing intent to renounce is obviously one of those sharades that I must go through. 

I contacted the Thai Consulate in bbk who said contact the department of home affairs in Australia, so it's obviously going to lead down a rabbit hole unless someone who has done it reads this post and replies. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kunjay said:

As Thai society is built on a charade showing intent to renounce is obviously one of those sharades that I must go through. 

And this is what you are seeking? Damn dude. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1