"Wok Hei" in Pattaya

tgw

2 minutes ago, tgw said:

if only there was some kind of way to research any word or group of words ...

You still wouldn't find the best hole inn the wall restaurants. My gym trainer insisted on showing me a home restaurant very close to my condo today. It's closer than any other restaurant and prices are 50 to 60 baht for most dishes. Everything is written in Thai, they deliver and the seafood fried rice I had today was great. I don't think they've seen too many foreigners there, it's in a dead end street off another dead end street. They do a lot of deliveries. This is the kind of restaurant I like.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

You still wouldn't find the best hole inn the wall restaurants. My gym trainer insisted on showing me a home restaurant very close to my condo today. It's closer than any other restaurant and prices are 50 to 60 baht for most dishes. Everything is written in Thai, they deliver and the seafood fried rice I had today was great. I don't think they've seen too many foreigners there, it's in a dead end street off another dead end street. They do a lot of deliveries. This is the kind of restaurant I like.

sure. but the seafood fried rice you like so much now would be like an addiction to crack if it was prepared using the wok hei technique.

16 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I'm not aware of even one.

I associate this with Chinese food.

The term I know is "chi of the wok" but I think it's the same thing. 

yes, it's the ultra high temperature causing the food to taste slightly smoked and charred, but only very slightly.

it's a taste I miss and I haven't found a restaurant here using that technique yet.

3 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Interesting. I wonder what oil they use. They never said. I worry about what the very intense heat does to that oil.

Peanut oil high smoking temperature.

Home chefs can simulate the effect with a torch.

But it's a whole thing to get this even in a restaurant. Not only about high temperature. Bunch of factors so it's intentional. 

I associate it with certain dishes too like beef chow fun.