Retirement visa renewal at immigration without using an agent

stargazer9999

Jomtien, Soi 5, used to make life as difficult as possible forcing many to use an agent, I have 2 bank accounts, one permanently has 800,000 baht in it, the other one has been used as my everyday account for normal living expenses, I also use an agent for all immigration issues. I havn't set foot in an immigration office for a fair few years now.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

43 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Yes, it has all caused a lot of bitterness which still seems to rankle many people.

My solution was to just leave 800k in the bank but that required me to transfer an additional 800k to Thailand. I am nevertheless disgusted by what was done.

We didn't hear about any witch hunt to sniff out the other side of the agent business which is the corrupt IO's/the system. Business carried on as usual, they just punished us.

Likewise TM30 - I didn't hear about them going after property owners who may be harbouring the undocumented, they just punished us, refusing to process extensions if a TM30 was not done and making us dependent on a third parties cooperation. We should not be penalised if a property owner has not filed a TM30*. Meanwhile masses of people come here taking advantage of the easy entry with the intention of going underground.

*yes, I know there is the "possessor" category, but you still need documentation from the owner.

• Like 1

On 5/30/2023 at 9:55 AM, JWNZ said:

I recently did mine with an appointment and have never seen so many people there, yet everything ran smoothly, the staff I spoke with were all helpful, I was in and out in 50 minutes, which is no big deal for something once a year.

The appointment system introduced about three or four years ago has been a game-changer. Retirement extensions are pretty smooth, everything can be completed within an hour's time. Not a biggie to do it yourself, manage your own extension particulars. Keeps you clued up, too, on immigration matters, which is not a bad thing.

If you would not be able to do it yourself, because of not being able to meet the requirements, then, of course, an agent's services would be the obvious way to go.

Edited by rwilem

On 5/29/2023 at 11:04 PM, scottiejohn said:

use an agent and enjoy all the hassle free time elsewhere!

It is once a year, you are retired, you have time.  Never had a hassle in 5 years doing it.

Paperwork and going to immigration by yourself takes about 2 hours for Non-Imm O

Lets see, pay agent 12K - 20K ? I can think of a lot of things I would rather spend my money on personally

• Thumbs Up 2

52 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

Lets see, pay agent 12K - 20K ? I can think of a lot of things I would rather spend my money on personally

Try reading my posts regarding the costs and my reasoning before making stupid figures up regarding costs!

On 5/29/2023 at 11:04 PM, scottiejohn said:

Sorry but I think you have that wrong!

Those with a full brain use an agent and enjoy all the hassle free time elsewhere!

And how many people use agents because they cannot speak Thai or are to laze to learn.

I did my retirement extension last month went on my own in and out in 35 minuets and that was plus 90 day, never used an agent and hopeful I never will.

One of the many advantages of speaking Thai, the IO is more combatable have seen them they trying to speak a bad pidgin English with some farang just hard work on both sides. 

And if all your paper in order, should be no problems. ps. I like to think I have a full brain. 

• Confused 3

30 minutes ago, kickstart said:

And how many people use agents because they cannot speak Thai

How many people on their first interaction with their Immigration Office/Officers can speak Thai?  An absolutely irrelevant point!

If the system works so great as you say and all your paperwork is already in perfect order then what need is there for any conversation in any language?  It should as you say take only 35 Minutes in the IO in Utopia!

You will of course need to talk to the IO if it is to try and discuss the latest illogical/non-sensical/made up new requirement/block the IO has decided to put in your way that day!

It would also help if your post were to say which;

Office

Finance method

Distance from bank

Distance from office

Pre booked appointment

etc!

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, kickstart said:

And how many people use agents because they cannot speak Thai or are to laze to learn.

Probably none!

I've been here 10 years and speak no Thai at all. And it's not because I'm lazy, I've always been linguistically challenged in every country I've lived in.

But for me It's never been an issue when it comes to dealing with immigration as I've never encountered an IO who does not speak, at least passable English and some, mainly the younger ones, very good English.

But no matter, just like you, I have never used an agent and do foresee that I shall ever have any need to do so.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

I havn't set foot in an immigration office for a fair few years now.

I spend about 2 hours per year in our local immigration office. I don't feel as if I'm loosing out on a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

I went and did the retirement visa myself and there were no problems.  It took about 70 minutes.

I got there a little early but they immediately took my paperwork and started checking it.  They also had two additional forms for me to sign.  

Things started quickly but then it became a 'hurry up and wait' process.  I was called to take a photo and then sat down and had to wait for quite a while.

Could be worse.  I used the monthly deposit method but had the paperwork ready for the 800k deposit method as a backup plan in case they found a 'problem'.

Thanks for your comments.  Good luck!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/4/2023 at 9:04 AM, Moonlover said:

I spend about 2 hours per year in our local immigration office. I don't feel as if I'm loosing out on a lot.

Last extension I did at CW (2021) I had 2 problems... 1) I rarely update my Bank Book (though it never goes below 800K) so had amalgamated entries not acceptable to Immigration & 2) I wanted to do my extension 45 days before it was due as I had travel

plans. 

Went to see my Agent who immediately spotted the problem with my bank account & took me to a Bangkok Branch to get the required letter/statement & the next day they took me to CW where my extension was processed there & then, 44 days before it was due despite CW only doing extensions 3 days before they were due at that (Covid) time. 

Without an agent I believe I would have been sent back because of the amalgamated Bank book entries 1st & then again because of the 3 day rule at that time & so would have wasted 3 days of my time & approx 2,400 in transport fees. 

End of the day it's 8K that I have as a budget line item so doesn't bother me... As I've said before, if it was 80b everybody would be doing it, if it was 800,000b none of us would be doing it. 

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Thumbs Up 1

35 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:
On 6/4/2023 at 9:04 AM, Moonlover said:

36 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Last extension I did at CW (2021) I had 2 problems... 1) I rarely update my Bank Book (though it never goes below 800K) so had amalgamated entries not acceptable to Immigration & 2) I wanted to do my extension 45 days before it was due as I had travel

plans. 

Went to see my Agent who immediately spotted the problem with my bank account & took me to a Bangkok Branch to get the required letter/statement & the next day they took me to CW where my extension was processed there & then, 44 days before it was due despite CW only doing extensions 3 days before they were due at that (Covid) time. 

Without an agent I believe I would have been sent back because of the amalgamated Bank book entries 1st & then again because of the 3 day rule at that time & so would have wasted 3 days of my time & approx 2,400 in transport fees. 

End of the day it's 8K that I have as a budget line item so doesn't bother me... As I've said before, if it was 80b everybody would be doing it, if it was 800,000b none of us would be doing it. 

I never keep my passbook up to date, which is why I always present the IO with bank statements. And I didn't need an agent to work that out for me either.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

I never keep my passbook up to date, which is why I always present the IO with bank statements. And I didn't need an agent to work that out for me either.

I believe you're on a "Marriage" extension & am guessing you don't use CW as your IO. 

As somebody who's on a "Retirement" extension who used to use CW (Jomtien nowadays) amalgamated bank book entries were not (normally) accepted by them & I would (most probably) have been sent away to get a statement from my Bank had I turned up with just photo copies of my Bank Book... 

As always, the caveat is that you might get a friendly IO officer who will use their common sense to see the balance didn't go anywhere near below twice what was required, but with my luck I'd have got one that would quote the rules & send me away.

As it was my agent sorted it all out & I had a very nice holiday around Phuket, Krabi & Phi Phi  when I would (at that time) have had to have been at CW doing my extension... 

• Thanks 1