Retirement visa renewal at immigration without using an agent

stargazer9999

I've been disenchanted with my experience using an agent for the annual retirement visa renewal the last few years.  Too many "surprises" when I thought all my paperwork was in perfect order for both the monthly deposit and/or 800k deposit requirements.

I've decided to fly solo this year and see how it goes.  I'm curious about anyone else's experiences going to immigration for retirement renewals recently.  Booking the appointment was easy.  It says it's a 20 minutes appointment and to arrive 10 minutes early.  Are things running on time or can I expect delays?   Any other surprises that I should expect and perhaps be prepared for?

Any thoughts on any of this are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

35 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Most on retirement extensions, don't have the money to put into the bank, that is why they use an agent, most are honest and admit they depend on their pensions, and don't have a dime, others boast, that's life.

If I had to live here on the pension and have no funds in the bank, that would be a sad existence, but it is what it is, we make our beds and we lay in them.

Regardless, 7,500, 12,000, or 20/25,000 baht, I would never use an agent because I am capable of organising and doing it all myself, after all, I am retired and have plenty of TIME on my hands as opposed to being lazy, but then again, each to their own.

I do the marriage extension, lots more work involved and hassle in that for some compared to the retirement extension.

Money Gif - GIFcen

And I am sure that you carry your own bags into the hotel and up to your room because you can do it... some of us do not!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

On 5/30/2023 at 8:59 AM, Celsius said:

Broke people drink themselves to death and can't afford a CT scan.

Fortunately for me, I am not broke and can afford a CT scan, enjoy your, whatever it is you do.

Edited by metisdead
Trolling image removed.
  • Like 2

I've done it solo several times already and the online booking system for appointment makes it now so easy and fast.

Be prepared in advance and all will go well. This is what you should prepare:

-TM7 application for extension of stay

-STM.2 acknowledgement of terms and conditions

-one pass photo (didn't really matter anymore if blue or white background)

-passport: copy of front (photo) page. Copy of last entry stamp (with TM6 if you got one when you last entered Thailand). Copy of first non O visa. Copy of last extension. 

-copy of last 90 days report (if applicable)

-copy of TM30

-copy of updated bank passbook showing one year of transactions (updated on the day you apply for the extension) and copy of the front page.

-original bank statement, done on the day you apply for the extension

-1900 baht

All copies must be signed.

I went to my bank in the morning of my 2pm appointment to get the bank statement and update my passbook. I received it immediately (100 baht, Bangkok Bank).

I was at immigration at 1:45pm and gave all the documents at the information window, by the entrance of the main building. They were checked and the immigration officer kept everything by his side until...2pm, time of my appointment. I saw him go to the "retirement" counter at exactly 2pm, with my passport and documents.  5 minutes later I was called for the photo.  Another 20 minutes wait and the extension was ready. 

Smooth like a breeze...

Edited by kiaora1968
Typo
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

What flow at CM IO.

It is not a flow just a stagnant cesspit of people wasting hours of their lives in endless queues being sent round in circles by dumb "Officials"!

As it appears from your posts, you never go there, how do you know?

I'll go with the majority here that say, very much otherwise. They do go there so they're the ones best qualified to speak out.

Edited by Moonlover
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Just did my retirement extension at Chiang Mai Immigration  3 weeks ago , had a

appointment for 4.00 , I was worried maybe not enough time , so arrived a 3.00 ,

papers checked (they handed back copies of bank book , and statements  and only

kept the Bank letter )  I would still take them as in the past they seemed to be the only

thing they were interested in going through copies and bank book  over and over

looking for something... anything

So everything done and out of building just after 4.00 , so about a hour ,I have

never ever used an Agent , taking an hour ,once a year why would i need one.

regards worgeordie

Do you have a link for the online booking appointment please? I'm on marriage extension at the moment but changing to retirement. I'd like to get an early appointment so that if I have missed something out I have time to sort it on the day, rather than have to return next day

Should be straight forward and the advantage you have is an appointment slot.

Before your appointment, take your paperwork including appointment confirmation straight to the booking counter inside, to the right of the information counter. No need to get any queue number from outside.
From there they will take your paperwork and ask you to be seated somewhere near counters 7 and 8.

You will then be called for a photo and anything else they may require.
Whilst you may not be in and out according to your 20-minute time slot, even if busy, you should be finished inside an hour.

As you are extending, a reminder your bank letter will need to be of a 12-month statement type.
I recently did mine with an appointment and have never seen so many people there, yet everything ran smoothly, the staff I spoke with were all helpful, I was in and out in 50 minutes, which is no big deal for something once a year.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

I've done my own here in Samui for many years now.

As long as your paperwork is in order it a doddle.

If you haven't got the necessary money in the bank, use an agent and keep your fingers crossed the new government doesn't clamp down on this practice.

• Like 1