President Biden spoke at Arlington National Cemetery to honor fallen soldiers on Memorial Day.

Social Media

51 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Who made it political? Trump or Biden? Shall we ignore comments made by Biden's main rival on this day that we all wish was sacred. It's just really regrettable that Trump has to make everything political.

Actually, yes. Ignore the comments. At least for the day. Rise above the swamp. 

Perhaps to focus on veterans and heroes, we can at least contribute an interesting story from our own families.

My case, my grandfather was a fisherman in a small townon the shores of Lake Huron in Ontario. In 1939 he joined the Merchant Marine, shipping supplies from Canada (Halifax) to the UK.  At the height of the German u-boat scourge, he wrote a letter to my grandmother, explaining how life on the merchant ships changed, depending on the cargo they were carrying.  For example if the ship was carrying general goods (clothes, food), you slept in your clothes but took off your boots. Door closed but unlocked. If your ship was carrying tanks, trucks, iron ore etc.  you slept fully dressed, wearing a life jacket and propped your door open.  If your ship were carrying munitions, you put on pyjamas and locked the door because if you were torpedoed there was no hope anyway, so you may as well be comfortable. 

His ship was torpedoed in May of 1941, while carrying a cargo of bombs and artillery shells.  At least he went quickly. And comfortable in his pjs. 

• Thanks 2

57 minutes ago, fusion58 said:

No, considering tRump wants to be reelected as POTUS and is currently his party's front runner for 2024, I don't believe we should ignore anything he has to say - particularly anything that provides insight into his views on Americans who serve in the armed forces.

There is a time and place for everything .

Using a memorial thread to promote your Political opinion is rather unsavoury .

Show some respect and exert some self control 

5 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

There is a time and place for everything .

Using a memorial thread to promote your Political opinion is rather unsavoury .

Show some respect and exert some self control 

Tell that to Trump.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, ozimoron said:

It's your boy who made it political, and in a particularly nasty way. You guys need to own that. Claiming that we should ignore these unsavory comments is a dodge. It isn't about respect for the fallen, it;s about lack of respect for the fallen.

He is not "my boy" and I do not need to "own" anything .

I was referring to this thread, and Trump doesn't post in this thread .

Please show some respect and stop using a memorial thread to attack your Political opponents , it doesnt matter what anyone else does, I meant YOU and the other posters in this thread

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, fusion58 said:

In normal times, I would agree.

However, these are far from normal times inasmuch as a former president who led a multi-pronged effort to overthrow a lawful democratic election and who, failing said effort, incited an insurrection at the U.S. Capitol in a last ditch effort to prevent his successor from taking office is trying to return to power now as we speak.

As an American and a veteran, I would submit that the best way to observe the Memorial Day holiday would be to remember the oath I swore to defend the Constitution of the United States and to remember those who laid down their lives in doing the same, viz., those who made the ultimate sacrifice in defense of the democratic ideals which tRump and his supporters so clearly disdain.

Exactly!

Normalizing the trump situation insults the honor of all the war dead throughout our history.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, fusion58 said:

those who made the ultimate sacrifice in defense of the democratic ideals which tRump and his supporters so clearly disdain.

There wouldn't be a war right now if Trump was in office. 

10 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yeah if the maga fascist Dear leader had broadcast a normal and dignified Memorial day message you wouldn't hear one peep of an objection to that being shared.

Such transparent hypocrisy.

Yep.

Trump's fan bois are simply miffed because tRump is being taken to task for his contemptible, inappropriate and disrespectful Memorial Day "message."

Their "how dare you engage in partisan mud slinging on Memorial Day?" pearl clutching is just a smoke screen.

Transparent indeed.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Neeranam said:

There wouldn't be a war right now if Trump was in office. 

Yes, because tRump was already giving his handler in the Kremlin everything Vlad wanted. No need to go to war when you have an American president who is doing your bidding in your pocket.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Equally dangerous, huh? Utterly tone deaf. I wonder about the mentality of anyone who can support this slime bag coward who used his wealth to get a fake medical report to avoid the draft.

What is it with you guys? Why not be adults and have a fair race, and respect all runners. Disgraceful behaviour. 

10 minutes ago, fusion58 said:

Yes, because tRump was already giving his handler in the Kremlin everything Vlad wanted. No need to go to war when you have an American president who is doing your bidding in your pocket.

Which is better, that or the war-machine in power? 

Where were you when Tony Blair invaded Iraq? Oh, wait a minute, that was the war machine also. 

Do you think you have the right to illegally invade a country and Russia doesn't? Rather arrogant. 

2 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

What is it with you guys? Why not be adults and have a fair race, and respect all runners. Disgraceful behaviour. 

Translation: "How dare you presume to hold Dear Leader accountable for his words and deeds?"

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, fusion58 said:

Not when my "political opinion" is that people who commit insurrection against the United States and who engage in seditious conspiracy ought not to be running for the highest office in the land.

Not when I took an oath to defend the United States against such domestic enemies (sort of the whole point behind the holiday, in case you weren't aware.)

Sorry if this is politically inconvenient for you.

Have at him if you like, and to be honest I would probably agree with you.  But IMHO it takes away from the occasion to let it devolve into just another partisan mud slinging contest. 

4 minutes ago, fusion58 said:

Not when my "political opinion" is that people who commit insurrection against the United States and who engage in seditious conspiracy ought not to be running for the highest office in the land.

Do you have any proof of this?

Just now, Neeranam said:

Which is better, that or the war-machine in power? 

Where were you when Tony Blair invaded Iraq? Oh, wait a minute, that was the war machine also. 

Do you think you have the right to illegally invade a country and Russia doesn't? Rather arrogant. 

Funny you should mention Iraq...

The Trump disciples who are now posturing as an "anti-war" movement are the same people who called me a traitor and a rotten patriot when I opposed Dubya's illegal invasion and occupation of Iraq.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, fusion58 said:

Funny you should mention Iraq...

The Trump disciples who are now posturing as an "anti-war" movement are the same people who called me a traitor and a rotten patriot when I opposed Dubya's illegal invasion and occupation of Iraq.

Glad to hear you opposed that. Do you agree with what Biden did in stirring up the war in Europe? You do know they profit from it.

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

He takes power again and our fragile democracy will be murdered.

If he takes power again it will be because most Americans vote for him, this is Democracy. Why are you so scared of the voters who are inferior to you? No doubt you will continue to use your influence to get everything you disagree with erased. This is NOT Democracy.

Edited by Neeranam

6 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Have at him if you like, and to be honest I would probably agree with you.  But IMHO it takes away from the occasion to let it devolve into just another partisan mud slinging contest. 

It's more than mere partisan politics when one of the major political parties is trying to return a man who incited an insurrection against the United States to power.

A man who has indicated that, if elected, he would pardon his co-conspirators and those supporters of his who have been tried and convicted for seditious conspiracy.

Sorry, but to ignore this reality is to fail to recognize everything the men and women we honor on Memorial Day fought and died for.

• Thumbs Up 1