More Wise transfer to Bangkok Bank static....showing as local and not international

So, my transfers last month were direct to my Bangkok Bank account and showed as international. This month, they have gone through Kasikorn and now appear as local transfers. <deleted>! I just got off the phone with Wise and the nice guy on the other end of the line really had no input except to say get the FET from Kasikorn. And he had no idea why sometimes the transfers go to Bangkok Bank directly and sometimes via Kasikorn. He also said there is no notation that he knows of that he can put on my account to have the transfers go direct to Bangkok Bank.

Has anyone had luck getting the FET forms/credit advise to prove their money came from abroad? A couple years ago, I had all my transfers go to my SCB account and they all showed as local. Thus, I went around to 3 different banks (Kasikorn, Bangkok, and Deemoney) to get the credit advise and tried to show it to immigration. It was all for naught. They wouldn't accept it, wouldn't even look at it. I had to scramble to find another visa route.

I recently opened a Bangkok Bank account (after being rejected by Kasikorn) just to avoid this and now I find Wise is sending it to Kasikorn (whilst my friend is still getting direct international transfers to his Bangkok Bank account). It makes no difference if I choose "long term stay" or "buying property". They are going to Kasikorn first and showing as local transfers. The Wise guy on the help line said that Wise does indeed have a Bangkok Bank account so no reason that they must go to Kasikorn first.

Anyone have anything to add here? This is very frustrating and I would say heads up to everyone using Wise for monthly transfers/visas. I would say do your transfer early in the month and if it shows as a local transfer you might want to pay the extra money and do a SWIFT transfer to be on the safe side.

Cheers...Bam

• Like 1

Re: More Wise transfer to Bangkok Bank static....showing as local and not international

I had the same happen to me, I then contacted them via their online help forms and it was put right again. (This was 2-3 months again)

But this weeks and previous week have transfers have both arrived as local (Mobile it says in the BBL SMS). They were both well over 50k THB and send as Long Term Stay funds (or whatever it's called)

Have send them an email (replying to their OLD email they send me) AGAIN

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

Would it not be simpler to open an account with Kbank, assuming they'll have you?

You might still encounter the same problem if Wise has no more swaps with Kasikorn, then Wise might use one of its other partner banks, Bangkok Bank or Dee Money, to fulfil the transfer. It's a problem with peer to peer money moves, no money actually crosses the border, rather transactions are paired between partners.

I like Wise but I'm not using it for my visa, if I were then I might consider using SWIFT to ensure the coding on the transfer is correct.

• Like 1

Recently had same issue (Bkk Bank), where they routed through Kasikorn. Emailed and asked that they tag my account so it sticks to that routing and it came through as international (FTT).

They did, however, say this:

" unfortunately Wise can not guarantee that your next transfers will be paid out via this specific partner. This is because there are unforeseen scenarios where our partner might be facing a technical or liquidity issue and then Wise will route the payment via another available partner to ensure same day delivery "

One thing I noticed when I got international transfer was it'd say 'monies will be in your account tomorrow after 13:00... ', or words to that effect, where other, 'local' transfers didn't have this prompt and were hitting my account in seconds.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

also happened to @KannikaP seemed to occur around a bank holiday

If you mean Thai bank holidays that shouldn't be surprising. As mentioned above in the post by @daveAustin, partners may be facing a 'liquidity issue'. (in plain speak, not enough money in the kitty) That would be because less money is coming in during the holiday period.

As I recall Wise have never guaranteed 100% that customers would get an international annotation on their account. They can only offer their best endeavors.

I still fail to understand why I/Os will not accept the downloaded transaction doc from Wise. I've been using it for the last 4 or 5 extensions at the Sakon Nakhon office without any problems.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Lemsta69 said:

Would it not be simpler to open an account with Kbank, assuming they'll have you?

They wouldn't have me, I tried in two different branches. And I'm married and been here 20 years. They wanted wife's signature but she's in Bkk. However, it's MY account and she has nothing to do with it. ...Just to point out the insanity. I'm putting my money IN the account not getting a loan. Insanity.

Plus, as someone pointed out, no saying when they will then go via Bangkok Bank first and then transfer to Kasikorn. Wise should not pretend with the "funds for long term stay" choice.

Moonlover, what exactly have you been showing the I/Os? They would not accept my stack of papers showing the paper trail of transfers. Wasted A LOT of time and money getting that stuff together, all for nothing.

Bank holidays may exasperate the situation but today isn't a bank holiday and my test transfers all went to Kasikorn bank first.

Not sure what I'll do. A SWIFT transfer is very expensive compared to Wise.

1 hour ago, mfd101 said:

Is this happening with UK-based Wise? or US? or somewhere in Europe?

Coming from Australia I've had no problems since the system for noting 'Long Stay in Thailand' was instituted several years ago.

Transfer was from US bank.

2 hours ago, MJCM said:

Re: More Wise transfer to Bangkok Bank static....showing as local and not international

I had the same happen to me, I then contacted them via their online help forms and it was put right again. (This was 2-3 months again)

But this weeks and previous week have transfers have both arrived as local (Mobile it says in the BBL SMS). They were both well over 50k THB and send as Long Term Stay funds (or whatever it's called)

Have send them an email (replying to their OLD email they send me) AGAIN

I make 37 transfers a year and I looked at my BBK account for May. and those 3 are all international transfers from Wise UK.

Edited by billd766
added extra text
  • Like 1

Just now, billd766 said:

I make 37 transfers a year and I looked at my BBK account for May. and those 3 are all international transfers.

Yes, my friend has the same luck, his transfers for the last 3 months all international. Does it matter the amount, by chance, do you think?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

Yes, my friend has the same luck, his transfers for the last 3 months all international. Does it matter the amount, by chance, do you think?

Presumably you select reason for transfer "long term stay", next step is get the account tagged to go to Bangkok Bank, maybe it will make a difference 

• Like 2

Take your BBL passbook and your Wise pdfs to a Trade branch of Kasikorn bank request a credit advice for your international transaction.

Immigration at CW accept these as proof of international deposits 

I have been providing these for my last 5 extensions

If your local deposit shows Deemoney call them they will provide similar receipts

Edited by norbra
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

TBH I have no idea.

Generally the most I transfer at one time is 35,000 baht.

I have read that sometimes if the amount is over 50k from Wise UK there may be a problem.

A way around that would be split it into less than 50k amounts and do more transfers. It may cost more but it could be an easier way to send the money.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

I make 37 transfers a year and I looked at my BBK account for May. and those 3 are all international transfers from Wise UK.

Good for you but mine recently again showed up (in the BBL SMS) as deposit via Mobile and not AUTO. the transfer reason was set as “long term funds”.

I already send them an email to flag my account again, it succeeded last time but for whatever reason it failed again. 

edit: I don’t have a Uk account the money is funded via a European bank account

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

I sent Wise an email about the issue and received the reply below. It is more promising than what I got on the phone call with Wise yesterday. I replied to the email that, yes, I do want them to tag my account so they appear as international transfers. We'll see what comes of it. I only have one day left to secure an international transfer for this month, not even a day. Wish me luck.

Laura's looking forward to hearing from me!

"Thank you for getting in touch.

When you send a transfer with the local currency (THB) the transfer is a local transfer.

This is because of how Wise works: with us when you send a cross-currency transfer (USD to THB), you pay to our USD account in the US and we send out the equivalent from our THB account located in Thailand.

Like this money never actually cross the borders so the transfer arrives earlier than traditional bank transfers.

International transfers are the ones when you receive a global currency (like USD, GBP or EUR) to your account, when the currency you receive is not the local currency.

If you want to send international transfers, these need to go through the SWIFT international payment network.

Here you can read more about sending USD to countries outside the US.

However Bangkok Bank (BBL) & Kasikorn Bank (Kbank) are capable of showing transfers as international transfers if we are sending through these banking partners.

We can help you to route your payments via your desired payout partners, however we can't promise that the payments are definitely going to be paid out with the partner you chose.

It can happen that there is an unforeseen scenario where a certain partner might be facing a technical issue. In this case the system will route the payment via another available partner to ensure same day delivery. 

Please, confirm if you'd like us to set this up for you and which partner you want to choose.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes,

Laura

1 hour ago, bamboozled said:

"We can help you to route your payments via your desired payout partners, however we can't promise that the payments are definitely going to be paid out with the partner you chose."

Note that they can't promise.

• Like 1

Right, no promises. It's too bad they can't delay the transfer until there is the possibility to have it as an international transfer. That is, one opts in to agreeing to wait longer for the money to arrive in order that it is guaranteed to show as FTT. Perhaps it's not that easy.

1 minute ago, bamboozled said:

It's too bad they can't delay the transfer until there is the possibility to have it as an international transfer.

Why don't you suggest it to them.

3 hours ago, norbra said:
16 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What is a "Trade" branch?

Ring their call centre they will help with locations,

You can google Business and International trade branches 

I didn't ask you for locations, I asked you what a "trade" branch is (as opposed to a "branch").

16 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I didn't ask you for locations, I asked you what a "trade" branch is (as opposed to a "branch").

A branch that conducts international trade financials

Edited by norbra
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, norbra said:

A branch that conducts international trade financials

And if the branch is not an International Trade Branch, your local branch can get a form to fill in, and they send it to Bangkok. It took a week to get my stamped copy, even though they emailed a copy first...oh and Bht 200