Questions about Savannaket vs. Vientiane and SETV vs. NON-O (marriage)

Well, I have been here since April 2020 on a mix of COVID-19 extensions, a Non-O based on marriage and the extensions at immigration, Then a couple 45 day visa exempt entries (both by air).  I am considering my options to get a SETV or a non o based on marriage in Savannakhet or Vientiane.  I understand that Vientiane requires an appointment and checked the website and there are appointments available.  I have read some mixed stories about Savannakhet.  An important note- I do not have the 400,000 in the bank and won't have it for an extension.  Fell on hard times coupled with a surgery.  With that said, is it possible to still get a non-o based on marriage and just exit and enter on it every 90 days instead of going to immigration with the funds to get the 1 year extension?  Any suggestions for the best plan?  TIA

Edited by keysersoze276
typo

44 minutes ago, keysersoze276 said:

I do not have the 400,000 in the bank and won't have it for an extension

In that case you could consider return to home country and return when you can support a non O with annual extensions based on marriage.

The money only needs to be in bank for couple of months and then can be used as required.

A ME non O marriage is available from Savannakhet however the cost of visa runs comes into play.

Not available in Vientiane.

If 50yr+ an agent assisted non O retirement with ongoing extensions is also an option.

Edited by DrJack54

37 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

A ME non O marriage is available from Savannakhet however the cost of visa runs comes into play.

Thanks!  So to clarify, I can get that in Savannakhet without bank statements, correct?  
And you said “visa runs”.  Does that mean I would have to obtain a new ME non O every 90 days, or is it possible to do border bounces every 90 days for a year (just exiting and entering on the ME non-O)?
Not 50+ for a retirement visa. 

You could get a multiple entry Non O visa in Savannakhet to visit your Thai spouse. They might ask to see evidence of 20,000 baht in a Thai bank account. This is a requirement for all visas there, and not specific to the Non O.

If looking for a tourist visa, your chances would be better in Vientiane. Savannakhet recently became strict in handing out tourist visas.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BritTim said:

They might ask to see evidence of 20,000 baht in a Thai bank account.

Thanks.  I was under the impression they would want to see cash in hand.  A same day bank statement (from the bank) would be impossible due to the timing.  I could have 20k in the bank and 20k in hand, but not a same day bank statement, stamped from the bank.  

If I get the non O, can I just cross a border every 90 days until I get back on my feet?

3 hours ago, keysersoze276 said:

If I get the non O, can I just cross a border every 90 days until I get back on my feet?

Yes. If you prefer, you could also get 60-day extensions of each entry and only do a border bounce about every 150 days.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, BritTim said:

Yes. If you prefer, you could also get 60-day extensions of each entry and only do a border bounce about every 150 days.

That's such good news!  Thanks so much!  My wife and I were stuck out of Thailand on vacation when COVID struck.  1.5 years paying for 2 condos in different countries, one which was unoccupied, but full of our belongings (Thailand 1.5 years).  Crazy COVID times and a surgery, two more to go.  She lost her job and mine went on the decline until the company closed without warning a bit over a month ago..  So a big thanks to you because I have never run this gauntlet and I was super worried.  Just trying to do things the best and proper way.  Appreciate your info!  When it rains it pours!  Severe anxiety and insomnia for me.  Life goes on and look forward to better days!  I think I will sleep like a baby tonight.  xoxo from my lovely wife and a bear hug from me!!  I'll be back on my feet in no time.

• Thumbs Up 1