Rejected ฿10k digital wallet plan ditched by Pheu Thai with moves towards a social welfare state

webfact

image.jpeg

Pheu Thai Party Economic Team Secretary-general Paophum Rojanasakul announced the party is scrapping its controversial ฿10,000 digital wallet giveaway for all as part of its shift towards the new Move Forward-led coalition government policy focused on the first steps towards a social welfare state in Thailand and tackling inequality.

Earlier proposals by the Pheu Thai Party for a ฿600 minimum wage by 2027 and a guaranteed salary of ฿25,000 for graduates at the same time, were better received with the free money scheme free for all smacking of vote buying even among its supporters, many of whom felt underestimated by the party and who turned to Move Forward who promised structural change.

Pheu Thai Party officials scrapped its controversial ฿10,000 digital wallets programme to boost economic growth on Thursday as it works with its coalition partners on fashioning a new economic agenda for the proposed eight-party Move Forward-led government which will see Thailand moving towards structural reform of the economy to address inequality and the first steps towards a social welfare state.

The Pheu Thai Party has formally axed its ฿10,000 digital wallet giveaway policy. The decision came just hours after the Election Commission dismissed a complaint filed with it over the policy and comes days after the party agreed to form a transition committee with Move Forward across a series of panels which will focus on finalising policy details and liaising with third parties as part of the process of creating the eight party coalition government. 

by Joseph O' Connor

Full story: https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news-foreigners/2023/06/01/10k-baht-digital-wallet-ditched-by-pheu-thai-social-welfare-state-move-forward/

Tex.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Examiner 2023-06-02

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Imagine a political party promises 10,000B per vote, and 2/3 of the voters still don't vote for them.

They must be really bad. I wonder how many voters they would have gotten without that promise. 

Plan B now.

So the plan is to encourage the Thai workforce to become lazy, work-shy, self-entitled benefit scroungers. Pita and his mates ought to check how that's working out in, say, the UK, before embarking on that particular course. 

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It's always astonishing how stupid some people are.

Tell them you don't like A and they assume you must like B.

Amazing.

not only on that topic, not only in Thailand.......

• Like 1

It is interesting that Biden's own party helped vote yesterday to throw out Biden's policy to pay student debts - only now Biden will veto the motion and try to push it through - going against the will of the public. (I know there is court cases pending on the legality of it)

I am sure the Thai people also would agree it is a daft policy paying out continually to certain people whilst others get nothing but continue to pay tax.

12 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

It is interesting that Biden's own party helped vote yesterday to throw out Biden's policy to pay student debts - only now Biden will veto the motion and try to push it through - going against the will of the public. (I know there is court cases pending on the legality of it)

I am sure the Thai people also would agree it is a daft policy paying out continually to certain people whilst others get nothing but continue to pay tax.

I think in situations like that the most important part is that the candidate can later say: "I tried."

On 6/2/2023 at 3:51 AM, webfact said:

Pheu Thai Party officials scrapped its controversial ฿10,000 digital wallets programme

Vote buying without honoring the payment. Time to give the votes back to the people by dissolving Pheu Thai Party!

• Sad 2