Fatal disregard: Kazakhstani tourist ignores red flag warnings, drowns at Phuket’s Kata Beach

snoop1130

Kazhak-drowns.jpg

A Kazakhstani tourist reportedly ignored red flags warning against swimming and as a consequence tragically drowned at Kata Beach in Phuket. Karon Police were alerted by a lifeguard at Kata Beach yesterday afternoon and discovered the body of the tourist, identified as 24 year old Artur Iskakov from Kazakhstan.

Lifeguards informed the police that they had been notified of the Kazakhstan tourist’s unconscious state approximately five minutes before their arrival. They used a jet-ski to pull Iskakov from the water and back onto the beach, where emergency responders were called. Unfortunately, Iskakov was pronounced dead at the scene.

At the time of the incident, there was a red flag on the beach, which serves as a warning to tourists not to swim due to strong waves and currents.

In Thailand, drowning incidents are not uncommon.

By Top

Caption: Photo via The Pattaya News

Full Story: https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/kazakhstani-tourist-drowns-at-kata-beach-ignoring-red-flag-warning

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-06-02

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Sad 1

RIP to the Kazakhstani guy.

The problem is that, at least judging from my frequent visits at nearby Nai Harn, the red flags are often up for seemingly no reason. Another problem is that the lifeguards do not stand by the water edge like in many other countries, but sit in huts way back and are often oblivious to what happens in the water and seem more interested in their phones. I have been swimming often with red flags (I am a quite decent swimmer) without raising an eyebrow from them. This said, it is also true that the west coast beaches sometimes have sudden "holes" in the sand floor, and currents that can drag a weak swimmer out.

• Like 1

You can't fix stupid.   Maybe they should put up shark or box jellies signs  ... may help.  Unless an excellent swimmer, heed the red flags.

If not too rough, I'll go in when red flagged, but I'm a good swimmer, or better, can float almost indefinitely if not too rough.  Have even stepped into a rip once, and took more energy than I'd like to admit to get back to sand.

At 68, I'll be heeding the signs next week, as surely they'll be out.  Pool time ????

• Confused 1

"Lifeguards informed the police that they had been notified of the Kazakhstan tourist’s unconscious state approximately five minutes before their arrival. 

I'm having trouble imagining how that transpired.  They? notified?  approximately five minutes?  before their arrival?

• Sad 1

I have the deepest gratitude for the lifeguard who literally saved my life.  But I can't stop comparing my fate to that of 24 year-old Artur.  I expect to be 82 in a few days.  He will never be 25.  I have a GF who watched me from the hotel balcony, witnessed me being pulled out to sea before I knew it, ran down to the beach and emphatically told the life guard he had to pull me out, that I wasn't able to get out myself.  Artur had to rely on the system.

7 hours ago, habuspasha said:

I have the deepest gratitude for the lifeguard who literally saved my life.  But I can't stop comparing my fate to that of 24 year-old Artur.  I expect to be 82 in a few days.  He will never be 25.  I have a GF who watched me from the hotel balcony, witnessed me being pulled out to sea before I knew it, ran down to the beach and emphatically told the life guard he had to pull me out, that I wasn't able to get out myself.  Artur had to rely on the system.

Holy Buddha ... you're 80+, and in the surf, against the red flag warning ????

Lesson learned I hope.  Red flags are out for a reason.   If you haven't, you really need to research rip currents.  At your age, you may want to stick an inflatable in your pocket, small and east to blow up if you find yourself in that situation again.  

Rips can occur at anytime of the year, just more so now.  And don't let calm surf fool you.   If there's waves, and one small section is calm, it's because that's a rip.

I was walking in knee deep water, as it was rough, do didn't go in.  Not paying attention, and damn if a wave didn't knock me on my butt.   Too funny, except I lost a good pair of scripted sunglasses.

You think Kata is bad, I had a hard time walking out of the surf at Karon, and it wasn't even rough.  It just pulled on me.   

Now I try to swim at ebb tide or incoming tide, never out going tide unless all is calm.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

7 kilometers from shore, is this a repeat post or a new one about someone swimming 7kilometers from shore ?

That was mentioned as examples of people drowning in Thailand. 

I don't believe the 7 km from shore part.

On 6/2/2023 at 5:20 PM, bignok said:

Happens multi times a year.

unfortunately its more like multiple times per week,  if not per day. I invite  you to  sit on  NaiHarn Beach for 1h and you will at least witness one or two of this dumbos waving for help.
Even as a good swimmer i would not suggest going in deeper  as  breasthigh,  the Rip  Currents we are having here  are terrible. IF you are ever catched in a current, never try to fight against it, you will  lose.  Wait for  the current  to  stop and swim out to the side of the  beach  OR BETTER, hope the LIFEGUARD seeing you in time. Actually this guys  doing a great job there atm.
stay safe guys  and girls and transgender women, transmen and  cucumbers ????

On 6/3/2023 at 8:23 AM, habuspasha said:

"Lifeguards informed the police that they had been notified of the Kazakhstan tourist’s unconscious state approximately five minutes before their arrival. 

I'm having trouble imagining how that transpired.  They? notified?  approximately five minutes?  before their arrival?

Yes, before the arrival of the police.  Obviously.

Edited by Liverpool Lou