Australian Couple Arrested for Scamming Chinese Nationals in Digital Currency Scheme

webfact

It takes two to tango. Aren't a great many scams successful because of the greed of the victim? Combined with a certain ignorance? 

Though even in the US it's possible to have cases of fraud and corruption in otherwise reliable institutions (like a title insurance company, but rare).

But these continuing scam cases here in LOS seem to be by far largely the former.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Australian Couple Arrested in Phuket For Allegedly Stealing 2.5 Million Baht from Chinese Man in Bangkok
By Goongnang Suksawat

image.jpeg

Phuket – A wanted Australian couple has been arrested in Phuket after they allegedly stole 2.5 million baht from a Chinese man in Bangkok.

On May 29th, Mr. GAO JIANJIA, 35, Chinese national, filed a report to the Phaholyothin Police. He told police he posted online that he wanted to buy digital money via BINANCE. A suspect contacted him via a Telegram application and agreed to buy for 2.5 million baht. They made an appointment to meet at a bank in Ladprao on May 29th. Mr. JIANJIA then took out 2.5 million baht in cash from his bank account.

The victim he met with a male foreigner who said he was a representative to get money from Mr. JIANJIA. which had been confirmed in the online chat. The male foreigner got the bag of money from Mr. JIANJIA before putting it on a chair near to him. While Mr. JIANJIA was waiting for the digital money to be transferred into his account the bag of money disappeared. The male foreigner said he had no idea where it went before he fled.

Full story: https://thephuketexpress.com/2023/06/03/australian-couple-arrested-in-phuket-for-allegedly-stealing-2-5-million-baht-from-chinese-man-in-bangkok/

image.jpeg
-- © Copyright The Phuket Express 2023-06-05

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

4 hours ago, Artisi said:

No no no, it's a above board, I'm his cousin and ready to leave very soon with the money, so please don't miss tomorrow's meeting. 

I'll give you 2m just tell me where to meet cobber.

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, save the frogs said:

what is wrong with people?

never hand over briefcases with large stacks of money to anyone EVER!

I may be wrong but am willing to bet that a lot of business is done this way in china

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

So a Chinaman has 2 1/2 million bhat in Thailand to buy the digital stuff?

He gets conned by the old bag drop in Bangkok on 29 May and 3 days later on 2 June the raskells get busted in Phuket 850km distant by the RTP and Australian Federal Police.

Does this make sense to anybody?

• Thumbs Up 2

8 hours ago, Chicksaw said:

Lordie, this gives me pause. I am supposed to meet a Nigerian prince tomorrow who wants to give me $10 mil for safekeeping but first he needs cash 1mil baht for his upkeep here while his cousin brings the dollars over. Shoot, now I am thinking this could be a scam.

..as soon as i read 'prince' i went onto red alert

8 hours ago, Chicksaw said:

Lordie, this gives me pause. I am supposed to meet a Nigerian prince tomorrow who wants to give me $10 mil for safekeeping but first he needs cash 1mil baht for his upkeep here while his cousin brings the dollars over. Shoot, now I am thinking this could be a scam.

..fancy a Chinaman getting skun by an Aussie..must be a first

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1