Non-imm To Tourist Visa

I'm a bit burned out with my job and so I'm thinking about calling it quits. I have a non-imm B right now. If I cancel my contract I'll loose the non-imm B. If I cancel in Oct then go to an embassy in a neighboring country would I be able to get a tourist visa so that I could spend the following months in country with my family here or would I have used up my time in country for the year already. Would I have to wait until 2008 to get a tourist visa for a couple months? I guess what I am asking is whether the maximum number of days in country per year applies only to people on tourist visas or any visa if that visa is cancelled or expires.

Edited by Aujuba

It only applies to those here without a visa - those on 30 day visa exempt entry. In other words you have not used any of the 90 day allowed and if you use a visa for entry you will not use any. You would have no problem obtaining a tourist visa and if you are married to a Thai would be able to obtain a non immigrant O visa.

The rule is 90 days in any six month period using visa exempt entry stamps. You can still use a visa to enter even after you use 90 days.