sanded or non-sanded grout?

gejohesch

Hello! I have a largish (ca 50 sq m) floor surface to tile. I already have bought the tiles 45 x 45 cm. A small section has already been tiled years ago with similar tiles, the spacing between tiles is 4-5mm i.e. 1/6 - 1/5 inch. It's not perfectly regular as it was done by a local worker (typical "village-type" work!). , I don't want the new tiling to clash too much with the old one, so I'm opting for a spacing of 5 mm for my own work.

Now, the question is : which grout mortar am I going to use? Reading on the net, I hear loud and clear that for anything larger than 1/8 inch = 3 mm I should definitely use sanded grout. I have tiled a wall in the past with 2mm spacing with grout bought in a Dinasty Tiles shop, I'm 100% certain that was unsanded grout, it worked perfect. However, I'm not sure the shop has sanded grout. I cannot check because I'm outside Thailand just now.

Can anyone reassure me that Dinasty (or another shop) also has sanded grout?

My question may sound stupid, but I just read that "I was in India a few years back and they ONLY sell unsanded grout there". One never knows...

Grout without sand in larger gaps will often crack. The sand makes the grout stronger and less likely to shrink - hence the lack of cracks.

Never heard of Dinasty, but the usual suspects such as Thai Watsadu, Home Pro or Boonthavorn (an often overlooked supplier) will have what you need.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Woof999 said:

Grout without sand in larger gaps will often crack. The sand makes the grout stronger and less likely to shrink - hence the lack of cracks.

Yes, I understand that, thanks! Hence my question : do I find sanded grout easily in Thailand? I will check with Home Pro, Pairat also in Khon Kaen.... Just that I would like to be reassured before getting back to Thailand!

Edited by gejohesch
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CharlieKo said:

I think you might find that sanded grout is cement with more sand in it than used for mortar cement. probably very easy for make yourself. 

I did a bit of reading and lots of people who seem to know what they're talking about strongly recommend not to make a mix myself, as that would throw off the aggregate - cement proportion of the initial product. Seems manufacturers have good reasons to make the mixes they market out with very specific proportions.