Thai Baht to Malaysian Ringgits

I have read on this forum over the last few years that "Super Rich" exchange outlets offer the best deals. Is that still the "GO TO" place? And I guess if it is, one changes back the unused Ringgits in the same outlet on return to Thailand. The amount I exchange will only be for two days and nights in KL in about three weeks time so not a large amount! The current rate is around B7.5 for 1 Ringgit.

Thank you for this and other suggestions that may help!

10 minutes ago, farang9392 said:

Use your bank card at CIMB bank, there was either no charge or it was so little that it wasn't a concern - not the 220baht thai thieving banks charge. If you do have any cash left over sell in Malaysia, it will be a better rate than doing the conversion back here.

Thank you

I have checked - there is a CIMB ATM at the airport, Will it take my Kasikorn visa card and/or my SCB card? In any event, I will make sure with relative banks at this end in Thailand before I leave!

• Like 1

Just now, ChrisKC said:

Thank you

I have checked - there is a CIMB ATM at the airport, Will it take my Kasikorn visa card and/or my SCB card? In any event, I will make sure with relative banks at this end in Thailand before I leave!

At both KL and Penang there is a row of ATMs in arrivals. They have always taken Kasikorn and Bangkok bank so I presume SCB no difference. It's been a while but last visit something something islam bank did reject Thai cards but the blue machine next to it took it, I think there was someone at the CIMB machine. They dont have a monopoly encouraging regulator like Thailand so different machines have different prices or free nothing like Thailand though even in worst case scenario except .... The only one that was near Thai robbing price was HSBC

• Like 1

There are seemingly three different companies operating in Thailand in the money exchange business called "super rich". And all of them have highly competitive exchange rates.

The largest two are the green ones ("Super Rich Thailand") and the orange ones ("Super Rich 1965") but you might find a gold one somewhere, although I cannot confirm this is separate to the orange ones.

• Like 1

On another topic but connected with Malaysia.

I will be taking my tablet and my phone to Malaysia. What do I need to do to get Internet connection? Is it a matter of getting another SIM card of Malaysian flavour? Or is there some alternative to that as I remember as something like "International roaming"?

Thank you

On 6/6/2023 at 6:15 PM, ChrisKC said:

Is it a matter of getting another SIM card of Malaysian flavour? Or is there some alternative to that as I remember as something like "International roaming"?

It's easy enough to buy an addon package with your Thai provider, AIS have a 7 day "Ready to Fly" 2GB data package for Malaysia for just Bht93.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stocky said:

It's easy enough to buy an addon package with your Thai provider, AIS have a 7 day "Ready to Fly" 2GB data package for Malaysia for just Bht93.

Thank you. I am already with AIS so shouldn't be a problem

On 6/6/2023 at 6:15 AM, ChrisKC said:

I will be taking my tablet and my phone to Malaysia. What do I need to do to get Internet connection? Is it a matter of getting another SIM card of Malaysian flavour? Or is there some alternative to that as I remember as something like "International roaming"?

I do international roaming and the dTac sim card I have that allows me to use 300MB data per day. I get SMS from Thailand to US on the same number. In Thailand the sim card gives me 20GB of domestic data. The sim card I use is an add-on to 3BB fiber for 100 baht. 

Edited by CartagenaWarlock

14 hours ago, ChrisKC said:

Thank you. I am already with AIS so shouldn't be a problem

Just use the myAIS app, pick packages from the bottom menu, then select Roaming/Ready2Fly. Enter the country, pick data, then the 7 day package, you can select the start date.