Nightlife

bignok

4 hours ago, heybruce said:

Seriously?  You can't even narrow it down to gay or straight?  Tourist or local?  Old or young clientele?  Thai only or some English spoken?

Im straight. Are you gay? Local or tourist attraction is fine if interesting. Im middle aged, gf is 30s. We both speak Thai.

Been to CM 6 or 7 times but not done much nightlife hence the question. Really only know day options.

Went to 3 night mkts last night. Ok for a walk. Looking for other options.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Troy Tempest said:

Might also help if a location was inserted! ????

The forum section is Chiang Mai. Not specific enough for you?

Really don't respond if you cannot read basic stuff.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Just now, Troy Tempest said:

He/She does not mention that they are looking for "Nightlife" in Chiang Mai!

Just because they are located in Chiang Mai is irrelavent!

The topic is about Chiang Mai. It's in the Chiang Mai section. I'm the OP. Really why respond if you miss such basics?

If I wanted to know Bangkok nightlife I would have posted in Bangkok section.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Troy Tempest said:

He/She does not mention that they are looking for "Nightlife" in Chiang Mai!

Just because they are located in Chiang Mai is irrelavent!

It is posted in the Chiang Mai forum.  That is sufficient to confirm that they want information about Chiang Mai.

• Thanks 1

Rajdarbar Indian restaurant in Loi Kro is pretty decent, about 220bht for a curry and Naan.

Auf Der Au German buffet breakfast is worthwhile 230bht for all you can eat (inc tea and coffee).

Day trip, Sticky Waterfall (50km up the 1001) is the must see destination (one of only 2 in the world).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Rajdarbar Indian restaurant in Loi Kro is pretty decent, about 220bht for a curry and Naan.

Auf Der Au German buffet breakfast is worthwhile 230bht for all you can eat (inc tea and coffee).

Day trip, Sticky Waterfall (50km up the 1001) is the must see destination (one of only 2 in the world).

Thanks. At least 1 person got the idea.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, bignok said:

Thanks. At least 1 person got the idea.

Huay Keow waterfall and park is worth a look for an hour or two, park at the Buddha (Kruba Srivichai monument) just after the Zoo, walk through the flower shops and into the park.

Wang Bua Ban (3km further up the road) is a nice spot for a swim in a waterfall. After the parking spaces, walk down, turn left before the sala and carefully walk down the steep narrow trail for the best swimming hole.

Wat Umong underground shrine and fish feeding island another place worth exploring, just off Suthep road.

Edited by BritManToo

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Huay Keow waterfall and park is worth a look or an hour or two, park at the Buddha (Kruba Srivichai monument) just after the Zoo, walk through the flower shops and into the park.

Wang Bua Ban (3km further up the road) is a nice spot for a swim in a waterfall. After the parking spaces, walk down, turn left before the sala and carefully walk down the steep narrow trail for the best swimming hole.

Wat Umong underground shrine and fish feeding island another place worth exploring, just off Suthep road.

might be dangerous at night ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dante99 said:

It is posted in the Chiang Mai forum.  That is sufficient to confirm that they want information about Chiang Mai.

At one extreme are people who think Chiang Mai means the old city, at the other extreme are those who think it means all of Chiang Mai province.  Chiang Mai is not a big city, but big enough so that walking from the CMU area to the river takes more time than most people want to invest.  Also big enough so that traffic is slow and tedious.  Specifying a specific part of Chiang Mai is helpful.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, heybruce said:

At one extreme are people who think Chiang Mai means the old city, at the other extreme are those who think it means all of Chiang Mai province.  Chiang Mai is not a big city, but big enough so that walking from the CMU area to the river takes more time than most people want to invest.  Also big enough so that traffic is slow and tedious.  Specifying a specific part of Chiang Mai is helpful.

What are your fav bars and restaurants?

Location in city almost irrelevant as Bolt is so cheap.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, bignok said:

Im straight. Are you gay? Local or tourist attraction is fine if interesting. Im middle aged, gf is 30s. We both speak Thai.

Been to CM 6 or 7 times but not done much nightlife hence the question. Really only know day options.

Went to 3 night mkts last night. Ok for a walk. Looking for other options.

You're still not being specific, but I'll assume you are not interested in gay bars, hooker bars, student bars and the Zoe in Yellow backpacker bar area.  If these assumptions are correct they will narrow down the candidate night spots significantly.

That still leaves expat bars, tourist bars, live music bars, pretty bars...

More information on what you consider interesting nightlife will help others help you.

Just now, heybruce said:

You're still not being specific, but I'll assume you are not interested in gay bars, hooker bars, student bars and the Zoe in Yellow backpacker bar area.  If these assumptions are correct they will narrow down the candidate night spots significantly.

That still leaves expat bars, tourist bars, live music bars, pretty bars...

More information on what you consider interesting nightlife will help others help you.

3 posts all unhelpful. No idea why you are responding.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

angel falls number one......victoria falls number 2......niagara falls number three????!!!

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, bignok said:

What are your fav bars and restaurants?

Location in city almost irrelevant as Bolt is so cheap.

I haven't been there for seven months.  At the time, excluding a small bar owned by a friend of mine, by favorite was Yawk Bar in Santitham on Santitham road just a little south of the elephants.  It is a casual open-air restaurant bar with a mix of Thai and foreign customers. 

I also recommend Khua Lek restaurant on the east side of the river near the Iron Bridge--good Thai food, mostly Thai customers but some foreigners.

If you want a place that is more hi-so, touristy and expensive there is a big place on the west side of the river just across from Khua Lek.  I don't remember its name but it's easy to spot from the bridge.

Edited by heybruce

4 minutes ago, heybruce said:

I haven't been there for seven months.  At the time, excluding a small bar owned by a friend of mine, by favorite was Yawk Bar in Santitham on Santitham road just a little south of the elephants.  It is a casual open-air restaurant bar with a mix of Thai and foreign customers.  I also recommend Khua Lek restaurant on the east side of the river near the Iron Bridge--good Thai food, mostly Thai customers but some foreigners.

Thanks.

3 minutes ago, heybruce said:

I agree.  Until you give people a better idea of what you want you are not helping your cause.

When you listed the Hawk Bar it was helpful. A 20yo or a 70yo could go there. So could a single person or a couple. Straight or gay. Strange to think otherwise.

1 hour ago, bignok said:

When you listed the Hawk Bar it was helpful. A 20yo or a 70yo could go there. So could a single person or a couple. Straight or gay. Strange to think otherwise.

Yawk Bar.  Mostly 20 and 30 something customers.  Older people welcome.  The owner is Thai-American and cool.  Turns into a sports bar during big events.  A friendly hang-out.  I liked it.

• Thumbs Up 1