Nightlife

bignok

2 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

many times a post is posted in a particular forum location and it's not even remotely relevant to the location that the OP is wanting to know about?

simly put, in this cothext, no.

1 hour ago, blackshadow said:

angel falls number one......victoria falls number 2......niagara falls number three????!!!

yet another aseannow wit who cant actually seem to read. 

what do the three waterfalls you named have in common? they are not STICKY falls.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Night life means bars, women, dinner, or some kind of folklore or drag show all over Thailand.

I don't consider night markets to be nightlife. If someone eating a mango and sticky rice on the street constitutes nightlife, then going out to McDonalds is a mega-nightlife opportunity too.

The idea of some latent, hidden category of previously unknown night life options or undiscovered gems seems unrealistic.

But to play along, lots of raves by waterfalls, check pot bars for posters. I live 5 minutes from the Nimman1 one mall which offers lots of little fairs and salsa dancing etc. Look 'em up. Nearby is a roof top sushi bar with a good view. Across from Nimman1 is a little maze of Japanese restaurants worth a look.

If you want to meet me for sushi (at night, even), shoot me a pm. I live mere steps from Sushi Umi, which I call the best sushi deal for the money in CM. 

13 minutes ago, n00dle said:

what do the three waterfalls you named have in common? they are not STICKY falls.

Limestone coated waterfalls are very rare, in the world there's 1 in Turkey, and the other in Chiang Mai. You walk down the steps to the bottom, then tie your flipflops around your neck and walk up the non-slip waterfall.

Entry is free but you're only supposed to buy food from the onsite vendors (which are fairly cheap), although many visitors take picnics and the no outside food rule doesn't appear to be enforced. Busy at weekends, deserted weekdays.

IMG_20150414_110909.jpg

Edited by BritManToo

10 minutes ago, n00dle said:

Don't be GRUMPY....image.jpeg.ad57c656a4ac7947106846b27a52b71a.jpeg

We live in The Land of Smiles! ....image.jpeg.02fd4026abdab00613c897d7361c2651.jpeg

No doubt I will be Suspended by the mods now for being "Heightist"???

It could be worse!...Back in the UK I got "Picked up by The Fuzz"!

They had No sense of Humour as well!

1 hour ago, heybruce said:

Yawk Bar.  Mostly 20 and 30 something customers.  Older people welcome.  The owner is Thai-American and cool.  Turns into a sports bar during big events.  A friendly hang-out.  I liked it.

Looks good.

54 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Limestone coated waterfalls are very rare, in the world there's 1 in Turkey, and the other in Chiang Mai. You walk down the steps to the bottom, then tie your flipflops around your neck and walk up the non-slip waterfall.

Entry is free but you're only supposed to buy food from the onsite vendors (which are fairly cheap), although many visitors take picnics and the no outside food rule doesn't appear to be enforced. Busy at weekends, deserted weekdays.

IMG_20150414_110909.jpg

Not been there. Might go. 

49 minutes ago, Troy Tempest said:

We live in The Land of Smiles! ....image.jpeg.02fd4026abdab00613c897d7361c2651.jpeg

Maybe start your own random topic then.

54 minutes ago, bignok said:

Maybe start your own random topic then.

I do from time to time!...I look forward to hearing from you in future! :thumbsup:

But, like I said I recommend O'Malleys Irish Pub for food, drink and a game of pool if you fancy!

Edited by Troy Tempest

10 minutes ago, heybruce said:

I just exchanged messages with the owner.  It's the low season, things might be pretty quiet there and other places.  I consider that a good thing, but not everyone agrees.

Seems fairly quiet in town but it is low season. Less farangs the better. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Troy Tempest said:

I thought being Grumpy was a requirement to be a member here! ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A post for an establishment with alcohol advertising has been removed.

42. You will not advertise, display, promote, review or endorse, directly or indirectly, the name or trademark of any alcoholic beverage. Such actions are potentially in contravention of Section 32 of the Alcoholic Beverage Control Act (2008).

Cm pretty much shuts down at night. I usually ended up at Zoe in yellow if it’s still going. That was years ago. The karaokes are not really expat friendly. There’s riverside bar with live music or the niminhimmknhimmknnim area. Low crow is just not that interesting but I guess you could go have a drink there ????????‍♂️

The city is dead relative to what was on offer back in the day. 

There was even a massive warehouse club, that went all night in the Soi Moonmuang area, it was run by the police, so it stayed open all night, I think it was called Tropicana... Then there were hole in the wall blues, one was down  a delightful walking Soi opposite Sheryl's Bar. 

Then there was Red Hat out past Airport Plaza on the road to Promenada Mall, itself a live music party zone, now history. 

There's countless local bars for all pockets and live music tastes, that line all the ring highways in suburbia if you have transport. 

They are not places to find tourists or hook-ups but they're great with a local date.

The waitresses in these places will sit and drink with you, if you can communicate with each other a little, and may step out with you at closing, if there's a spark, they are single, and you're generous all evening!

It's sort of like a gogo, they wear skimpy kit, but it's hands off! They're much more nuanced, than tourist bars and don't upset the local guys, if they get lippy, just leave!

So much has shut, maybe never to return. Also, I'm elderly now. So don't ask me for any more recommendations! 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Just want to point out that this is often misquoted as fact. In reality there are thousands of "sticky" limestone falls in the world. Heck, I have visited several such waterfalls in Thailand alone, although the one in Chiang Mai was probably the largest. The one in Turkey, Pamukkale, has long since dried up, I've been there. There is a beautiful and massive one in Jamaica. Anyway, this one is still worth a visit if you're in Chiang Mai, but, it's nothing unique.

I will preface this with I haven’t been there since covid broke out, but if I were in Chiang Mai and in the mood for music and a drink, I would be searching online for current info on:

Boy Blues Bar - I am guessing Boy would want this to continue after his passing

North Gate Jazz 

Mai & Chiang Mai Blues - If I am not mistaken I think Mai used to play with Tuk

Sudsanan - used to be a place to eat, drink and watch local Thai musicians that was on Huey Kaew Rd. They moved to Canal Rd. And I think they are still opened.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2023 at 9:24 AM, heybruce said:

At one extreme are people who think Chiang Mai means the old city, at the other extreme are those who think it means all of Chiang Mai province.  Chiang Mai is not a big city, but big enough so that walking from the CMU area to the river takes more time than most people want to invest.  Also big enough so that traffic is slow and tedious.  Specifying a specific part of Chiang Mai is helpful.

Chiang Mai is not a big city? I live in Chiang Rai.