Getting a new US passport before leaving Thailand - Visa transferal.

Hello, I will be getting a renewal passport here in Bangkok (working resident of Thailand, US citizen).  What are the steps I need to take to transfer my B Thai visa to my new passport?  Will I need to visit immigration personally, or can I have my company take care of this.  Many thanks.

I just went through the process last November with my Non-O retirement. The US Embassy will take about three weeks to receive the new passport, I filled out the application online and mailed in the application and all the supporting documents including receipt of payment that you make at the US Government web site. They have a nice checklist you need to follow so as to insure you won't miss something and cause a delay or have the package returned. You will also need to visit a Thai bank and get a check for 100 baht to cover return postage for your old and new passports. Overall the service was very easy and I never had to go to BKK and visit the embassy.

Upon receipt of the new passport you will need copies of all relevant stamps from the old passport and a copy of the new passport to take to immigration, there is a form titled "Transfer Stamp to new passport" that you will use (it doesn't have the typical TM form number) and a fee of 500 baht for IO. It was painless, I did it myself at the Prachuap Khiri Khan Immigration office at Hua Hin.

I have no idea about if your company can do it for you, I always handle all my immigration requirements myself.

• Like 1

Unless you qualify (see US Embassy website for info), you can only obtain a new US passport via the mail.  While in the recent past the process took less than 3 weeks (in December, 2021, I mailed mine from Chiangmai and the new and old passport was in my mailbox 11 days later!), I've heard it's now taking much longer.  

When you get your new passport, take new and old along with info mentioned above to Immigration and they'll transfer what's necessary.  I'm doubtful anyone but you can do it but don't know about your B visa.  Here in Chiangmai (obviously different elsewhere), they wanted the Transfer form, photocopies of every stamped page in the old passport (including non-Thai stamps), and a copy of the photo page in your new passport. There was no fee for this in Chiangmai.

• Like 1

Company can do it if they agree to absorb the cost - they will outsource the service to a Lawyer's firm e.g. Ernst and Young, Deloitte..

These firms will take care of the transfer and you will not have to go to the Immigration in person - I did it last year.

If your employer is not covering it watch out as these firms are not cheap might be between 12k to 20k so better you do it yourself 

• Like 1