SETV in Vientiane after long stay in Thailand.

I have been in Thailand for 1 year and 5 months. Visa history: Came on tourist visa, then covid extensions X3, after that land border visa exempt to Cambodia, (2 times in 2022 and 2 times in 2023) with extensions.

So now i dont have so many options, i will try to get a SETV in Vientiane. I will use the land crossing, via the friendship brige.

Do you guys think this will work, as long as i meet the requirements?

I already have booked an appointment at the embassy.

Thanks.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You currently in Thailand or Laos.

I would go to Laos.

If still in Thailand, when does current permission expire

I am still in Thailand.

My visa expire 13 June, and i have an appointment 14 June.

3 minutes ago, ketilnm said:

I am still in Thailand.

My visa expire 13 June, and i have an appointment 14 June.

You have used your 2 visa exempt land entries via land this calendar year.

What if SETV rejected. Next step? 

Been in Thailand ongoing 17 months. 

Please update with what happens re Vientiane. 

I wouldn't do it. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, BritTim said:

You can try. If you have never previously had a tourist visa from Vientiane (visible in your current passport) and meet all the requirements, you might get lucky. Your chances are not good, and you should decide what you are going to do if the application for a tourist visa is denied. Since you have already burned your land based visa exempt entries, your options will be limited. Perhaps, spend a month in Laos and then fly from Luang Prabang to Chiang Mai. Trying to enter visa exempt through either Bangkok airport is very likely to result in a denied entry.

Yes, never had a tourist visa from Vientiane before.

Yes i was thinking, if rejected, to fly from Vientiane to Chiang mai. But just a few days after. But i understand the longer outside Thailand, the better chance of get a visa exempt..

Thanks.

3 minutes ago, ketilnm said:

Yes, it is a gamble...  I will update on what happens.

That would be good.

This next comment is just general advice. 

Possibly because there is a parallel thread. Same/similar situation.

For folk planning to stay as long as possible always apply rule #1.

Keep ONE visa exempt entry via land as you ace up your sleeve.

So in this thread the OP should have applied for tourist visa prior to using his second land border entry. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I've been in Thailand 3+ years on covid extensions and multiple visa exempt entries, and wanna try my luck getting a SETV at Vientiane too during my next border run. If denied, no problem, will come back the same day via the Friendship bridge.

Edited by JoseThailand
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, JoseThailand said:

If denied, no problem, will come back the same day via the Friendship bridge.

INO very smart aleck post.

Good for you.

If you read the OP he has used his visa exempt entries via land this calendar year, so if tourist visa is denied then what next step? 

As a guide to others ...how have you managed 3 year stay.

Granted covid amnesty and covid extensions would provide a swag of that.

So to assist others ...having been in Thailand for 3 years what is you current status and next step.

Currently two threads asking advice for extending their stay beyond approx 15 month

Edited by DrJack54

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

As a guide to others ...how have you managed 3 year stay.

Granted covid amnesty and covid extensions would provide a swag of that

Been on visa exempt entries since covid ended. The Russian passport allows unlimited land border entries due to the bilateral agreement with Thailand. On the flip side, we don't get a 30-day extension on a visa exempt entry, so I need to do border bounces every month.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, JoseThailand said:

Been on visa exempt entries since covid ended. The Russian passport allows unlimited land border entries due to the bilateral agreement with Thailand. On the flip side, we don't get a 30-day extension on a visa exempt entry, so I need to do border bounces every month.

Is that a joke.

From the OP when asked nationality...

"Norwegian"

News flash he is not a Russian

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoseThailand said:

I don't see any reasons why a SETV would be denied since he didn't have any from that consulate. Visa exempt entries are irrelevant.

Years ago, that was pretty much true (certainly at embassies like Vientiane). Embassies and consulates in the region have since become stricter over handing out tourist visas. He would almost certainly be denied in Savannakhet (even with no previous tourist visas from there). In Vientiane, he has a better chance, but I will be interested in learning whether he is successful.

32 minutes ago, JoseThailand said:

But to be honest, I'm thinking about "purchasing" an ED visa. It would cost not much more than border bounces over a year.

How remotely do your posts have to do with the OP.

As pointed out,  he does not have a Russian pp and such a sweet deal. 

Options are limited. 

No one in this thread interested in your plan for ED visa .

Certainly not the OP

18 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

That would be good.

This next comment is just general advice. 

Possibly because there is a parallel thread. Same/similar situation.

For folk planning to stay as long as possible always apply rule #1.

Keep ONE visa exempt entry via land as you ace up your sleeve.

So in this thread the OP should have applied for tourist visa prior to using his second land border entry. 

Thanks for all your help.

But for worst case scenario.. If my SETV gets rejected. Then i will try to fly from Vientiane to Chiang Mai. Visa Exempt. If that also get rejected at Chiang Mai airport, what will the do with me? Will i be able to fly to Suvarnabhumi, for get a plane back to my country, Norway?

• Sad 2

16 minutes ago, ketilnm said:

But for worst case scenario.. If my SETV gets rejected. Then i will try to fly from Vientiane to Chiang Mai. Visa Exempt. If that also get rejected at Chiang Mai airport, what will the do with me? Will i be able to fly to Suvarnabhumi, for get a plane back to my country, Norway?

If you're denied entry, they'd bounce you back from Chiang Mai Airport, you wouldn't be able to get on a domestic flight to Suvarnabhumi Airport.

Most likely, that would mean flying back to Laos, and making further arrangements from there.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Caldera said:

If you're denied entry, they'd bounce you back from Chiang Mai Airport, you wouldn't be able to get on a domestic flight to Suvarnabhumi Airport.

Most likely, that would mean flying back to Laos, and making further arrangements from there.

Thanks for reply.

So if they send me back to Laos, would i be able to fly into Suvarnabhumi, and just be in transit there? not enter Thailand, just stay at the airport for catch a plane back to Norway?

As there are not much international planes out of Laos.

1 minute ago, ketilnm said:

Thanks for reply.

So if they send me back to Laos, would i be able to fly into Suvarnabhumi, and just be in transit there? not enter Thailand, just stay at the airport for catch a plane back to Norway?

They are not Nazis and you are not a criminal. You didn't do anything wrong. I'm 99% sure they will let you in.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

7 minutes ago, ketilnm said:

Thanks for reply.

Yes, having been denied entry to Thailand previously wouldn't make you ineligible for using a Thai airport for airside transit later on.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, ketilnm said:

Most likely, you would be returned to your last departure point. If you try to fly from Vientiane to Chiang Mai, you might go via Luang Prabang, but more likely would go via Bangkok, and go through Immigration there. I do not believe there are direct flights from Vientiane to Chiang Mai.

If returned from Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang, it should be possible to arrange flights from there to Norway.

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Most likely, you would be returned to your last departure point. If you try to fly from Vientiane to Chiang Mai, you might go via Luang Prabang, but more likely would go via Bangkok, and go through Immigration there. I do not believe there are direct flights from Vientiane to Chiang Mai.

If returned from Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang, it should be possible to arrange flights from there to Norway.

Yes you are right, the flights from Vientiane to Chiang mai are not direct, they will stop at Don mueang, and maby i will have to go through immigration there, witch is not a good thing, compered to immigration at Chiang mai airport..

Luang Prabang does have direct flight to Chiang mai, so then maby a better choice.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, ketilnm said:

Yes you are right, the flights from Vientiane to Chiang mai are not direct, they will stop at Don mueang, and maby i will have to go through immigration there, witch is not a good thing, compered to immigration at Chiang mai airport..

Luang Prabang does have direct flight to Chiang mai, so then maby a better choice.

Not maybe. If you fly via Don Mueang, it's a certainty that you will need to clear immigration there.

As your plan is to enter Thailand at Chiang Mai Airport, you'll need to make sure that this will be the first Thai airport you land at.

33 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Not maybe. If you fly via Don Mueang, it's a certainty that you will need to clear immigration there.

As your plan is to enter Thailand at Chiang Mai Airport, you'll need to make sure that this will be the first Thai airport you land at.

Ok, thanks ????