Mae Sai Border Bounce Report

I don’t think Burma immigration is really junta or military. At least I never got that feeling.

So you saving the $5 or so is just you being greedy or being a dick? Or am I wrong here?

Edited by JimTripper
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JimTripper said:

I don’t think Burma immigration is really junta or military. At least I never got that feeling.

So you saving the $5 or so is just you being greedy or being a dick? Or am I wrong here?

Ask Finlaco the backpacker expert.  Just following his advice.

• Haha 2

The price of a Myanmar border pass is US$10. Yes, some officials might try to insist that you pay 500 baht instead but, depending on the boss, this might be high risk. They do not want you complaining, and the boss deciding to reassign you somewhere where you cannot siphon off over 150 baht from every ignorant arrival. It is better just to smile and back down gracefully when confronted by knowledgeable travellers.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, JimTripper said:

I am always surprised when there is a correct fixed price for a product or service, and someone accuses you of being a "cheap Charlie" or similar for wanting to pay it. I will often tip for good service, but object when someone adds the tip to my restaurant bill unasked. It is the same here.

• Thumbs Up 2

47 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

No you are not.

This is my vote for most ridiculous thread .

A report of the process at that border crossing rather than $4.50 savings and underwear purchase would have been helpful. 

Please! 

Why a mod has not closed thread is surprising. 

With due respect I thought I did do a report of the process at the border. Perhaps you didn't read what you wanted to hear.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

18 minutes ago, sabaiguy said:

Sorry Dr. Jack here is a more accurate report of the process at this border.  I arrived at the border.  Went through Thai exit immigration, got stamped out.  Crossed to Myanmar Immigration entry. Ushered into a room with Myanmar IO and some other guy (not in uniform) who basically served as an interpreter.  Asked if was going shopping or just turning around. I replied just turning around.  They said 500bt.  I said $10.  They said OK.  Stamped into Myanmar.  Turned around went through Thai entry immigration with my METV.  Then went to buy my new underwear.

Is this what you wanted in terms of the process at the border?

Everything you originally posted was mostly fine. Both there and in this post you should arguably have left out what you bought with your savings from paying in US$. Most people considering using Mae Sai probably do not need that information.

Member @Red Phoenixhas requested (and I agreed) to add this warning, specifically for those in Chiang Rai:

Be aware that when doing a border bounce at Mae Sai with the intent to apply at the Chiang-Rai Imm Office for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa, that there is a recent report from somebody trying to do that.  Him being told by the Chiang-Rai Imm officer that they do NOT issue 90-day Non Imm O Visa there and that applicants for such Visa should do so at the Thai Embassy in Vientiane, Laos.  

So it would be a wasted border-bounce trip if you plan to apply for the Visa at the Chiang-Rai Imm Office and in that case better head straight to the Thai Embassy in Vientiane, Laos (note that applications there do require an appointment, and would involve an over-night stay to pick up your Passport with the Visa next morning).

• Thumbs Up 1