Google Pixel 7 Pro - Safe To Buy?

Batty

Hoping to buy the Pixel 7 Pro. None of the big brand stores sell it, as far as I can muster - only small dealers. Lazada has half a dozen or so stores selling them, none of which are rated by Lazada. The price swing is huge also: the exact same phone is selling from 15K to 40K and I cant grasp why that is. Im assuming the cheaper handsets might be refurbished or something (although they dont say that) I dont know if thats me being a little paranoid or not. I noticed one seller promoting the phone for 38K, saying "Guaranteed genuine product NO FAKE INTERNALS" (or words to that affect). Sorta put me off now, it makes me wonder if other dealers are selling the same phone with BS internals in some way?

It is a briliant phone, but I am guessing it is not the type of phone you should buy here? Best to avoid?

I also fancied a Motorola but its the same issue. Only small dealers stock them and you just have no idea what you are actually buying.

I have been a Samsung punter since the first Note. I just fancied a change, thats all, and I am quite heavily in the Google ecosystem.

Could anyone suggest a trusted dealer in Bangkok who might sell the 7 Pro? Someone with a good reputation who isnt likely to stitch me up? I live in Isarn, but could always order remotley and have it posted, I guess.

I also buy from thainexusman, and have for quite a few years.

Looks like he has nine (9) units (7 Pro) left. https://www.thainexusman.com/en/product/1246/google-pixel-7-pro-smartphone

Maybe consider the 7A? https://www.thainexusman.com/en/product/1322/google-pixel-7a-smartphone

These are U.S. variants, and may not support 5G on your current service provider here. Not a deal-breaker IMO. I use a Pixel 6 on DTAC, and LTE is more than fine for me.

For Samsung, the A54 5G looks quite nice.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, malathione said:

https://www.thainexusman.com/en is the dealer I buy my Pixel stuff from. I'm skipping the 7 and will replace my 6 Pro with an 8 once it is out. Hate limited Pixel battery life, though.

Thanks for that - I think I might have seen his website the other day but didnt hang about, figuring it was just another small random dealer. Im swayed now, having seen your recomendation. As the pixel is essentialy out of warrenty in Thailand, is this chap good for repairs or fixing issues, if need be?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

I also buy from thainexusman, and have for quite a few years.

Looks like he has nine (9) units (7 Pro) left. https://www.thainexusman.com/en/product/1246/google-pixel-7-pro-smartphone

Maybe consider the 7A? https://www.thainexusman.com/en/product/1322/google-pixel-7a-smartphone

These are U.S. variants, and may not support 5G on your current service provider here. Not a deal-breaker IMO. I use a Pixel 6 on DTAC, and LTE is more than fine for me.

For Samsung, the A54 5G looks quite nice.

Thats great - another thumbs up for this guy. Thanks. As mentioned int he reply above, the Pixel is out of warrenty in Thailand, does this guy offer a warrenty do you know? And outside of warrenty if there is an issue, will he fix? 

1 minute ago, Batty said:

Thanks for that - I think I might have seen his website the other day but didnt hang about, figuring it was just another small random dealer. Im swayed now, having seen your recomendation. As the pixel is essentialy out of warrenty in Thailand, is this chap good for repairs or fixing issues, if need be?

My pleasure. He's been around for a while now and I first used him to get a Pixel 4. I haven't needed any repair work so no idea but I'd seriously doubt that he or anyone else offers that service simply because spare parts would not be readily available. Once you order, you do need to follow up, though, as he can be quite slow.

8 minutes ago, malathione said:

My pleasure. He's been around for a while now and I first used him to get a Pixel 4. I haven't needed any repair work so no idea but I'd seriously doubt that he or anyone else offers that service simply because spare parts would not be readily available. Once you order, you do need to follow up, though, as he can be quite slow.

Yah I mean, thats the thing, isnt it - the chances of needing a repair are quite slim. I guess its just the notion of spending 31K and winding up with a glitchy problem, a few months down the line. Its never happened to me with any phone, ever. Sods law would dictate it happening in this instance though, lol.

Hmm. I am in two minds now. I did drop my last samsung and had to replace the screen, cant remember how much it cost, about 3K I think. But if that happend with the Pixel it would probaby mean importing a screen from Europe, then finding a guy to fit it, then sending it to Back from Isarn.

Sod it. I appreciate the heads up but I might swerve it, now i think about it. Ill just go for a Samsung again, safer bet I guess.

Hell of a phone though. Personaly I think it edges the S23 Ultra, its that good.

Cheers!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Batty said:

Yah I mean, thats the thing, isnt it - the chances of needing a repair are quite slim. I guess its just the notion of spending 31K and winding up with a glitchy problem, a few months down the line. Its never happened to me with any phone, ever. Sods law would dictate it happening in this instance though, lol.

Hmm. I am in two minds now. I did drop my last samsung and had to replace the screen, cant remember how much it cost, about 3K I think. But if that happend with the Pixel it would probaby mean importing a screen from Europe, then finding a guy to fit it, then sending it to Back from Isarn.

Sod it. I appreciate the heads up but I might swerve it, now i think about it. Ill just go for a Samsung again, safer bet I guess.

Hell of a phone though. Personaly I think it edges the S23 Ultra, its that good.

Cheers!

Absolutely. That is the risk. I wanted to have the battery on my old 2XL replaced but gave up due to the hassle.

No doubt, superior to pretty much everything out there for my use. My current travel phone is a Samsung S23, the basic one, and it is just fine but I miss the relative purity of Pixel OS and the Assistant  whenever I'm forced to use it.

Edited by malathione
  • Love It 1

Buying a Pixel device here is "as is" with no warranty repair/service.

thainexusman might replace a DOA (if stocks permit), or offer a full refund, within some prescribed period, normally seven days. Ask for confirmation on DOAs.

I never, ever recommend (to others) buying a grey-market device here. In fact I strongly discourage it as the risks far outweigh the advantages.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/12/2023 at 8:00 AM, bamnutsak said:

Buying a Pixel device here is "as is" with no warranty repair/service.

thainexusman might replace a DOA (if stocks permit), or offer a full refund, within some prescribed period, normally seven days. Ask for confirmation on DOAs.

I never, ever recommend (to others) buying a grey-market device here. In fact I strongly discourage it as the risks far outweigh the advantages.

Good advice, thanks. What exactly do you class as grey market though? Would that be anything bought outside of an actual branded shop? 

So in other words, buy all of your phones from the manufacturer store (online or physical) but never from a dealer?

It sounds like I disagree with you, just reading that back lol. I don't - just looking for clarification.

I never used to give a <deleted> about stuff like this before, but I have become a bit more cautious lately, for some reason.

4 hours ago, Batty said:

Good advice, thanks. What exactly do you class as grey market though? Would that be anything bought outside of an actual branded shop? 

The definition of grey market goods are goods imported into a country or area the manufacturer has not sold the for. 
Grey market goods often/usually have no manufacture warrantee the reasons a often due to parts being different, so not available.

Some Grey market goods are no different but most have subtle differences.

• Love It 1

5 hours ago, Batty said:

What exactly do you class as grey market though?

It's not me doing the "classification". You can Google "grey market".

Most/many/nearly all phones sold here, regardless of store-front characteristics, are legally imported, certified, OEM, real, original, with warranty. Generally though, I do recommend you buy from a manufacturer's certified on-line shop or brick/mortar shop. 

Perhaps the biggest issue, besides the warranty/service ones, with say a Pixel phone is that these are illegal to import, and probably to possess and use. They have not been certified by Thai authorities (NTC/NBTC).

If you want the phone, and there is nothing comparable (and there isn't re: Google Android UI, monthly updates (well no June update yet), years of updates, and understand the risks then go for it. But, chances are, there is a comparable model from a number of manufacturers, probably better bang for the buck too (given the mark-up for local availability).

4 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

It's not me doing the "classification". You can Google "grey market".

Most/many/nearly all phones sold here, regardless of store-front characteristics, are legally imported, certified, OEM, real, original, with warranty. Generally though, I do recommend you buy from a manufacturer's certified on-line shop or brick/mortar shop. 

Perhaps the biggest issue, besides the warranty/service ones, with say a Pixel phone is that these are illegal to import, and probably to possess and use. They have not been certified by Thai authorities (NTC/NBTC).

If you want the phone, and there is nothing comparable (and there isn't re: Google Android UI, monthly updates (well no June update yet), years of updates, and understand the risks then go for it. But, chances are, there is a comparable model from a number of manufacturers, probably better bang for the buck too (given the mark-up for local availability).

Gotcha, thanks. That's what I thought, pretty much. I didn't go for the Pixel anyway - as soon as I realized there was no service centre here in Thailand I swerved it. Ended up going for a mid range Samsung in the end.

Like I said, stuff like this wouldn't worry me before but just lately I have been more conscious and aware of the fact that you can get stitched up quite easily. At the end of the day, how could you really know for sure if the phone you bought from a small dealer isn't tampered with? You don't really, do you. Slim chance and I doubt it happens a lot, but it can. It could easily be a refurb, or something.

I was close to buying a Samsung S22 from a dealer in Bangkok topseller on Lazada. He was telling me there is no warranty on the phone despite it being brand new, boxed, never opened. Only a 1 month seller warranty. I told him that as a new phone the 2 year warrenty should start from date of purchase but he was like "no not with this phone, this phone came from vietnam, so not have manufacturer warranty with Samsung." WTF? Should it matter where the phone came from? It's still a Samsung? A built in warrenty is a built in warrenty isn't it?

Does my head in a bit, the levels of sketchyness with stuff like this. Easier and safer just to buy from a big national branded store or manufacturer direct isn't it.

Really wanted that pixel though, what a cracking phone ????

3 hours ago, Batty said:

At the end of the day, how could you really know for sure if the phone you bought from a small dealer isn't tampered with? You don't really, do you. Slim chance and I doubt it happens a lot, but it can. It could easily be a refurb, or something.

I have full confidence in thainexusman. He/they have been in business for at least 10 years, with a bevy of satisfied customers and no issues whatsoever. I almost pulled the trigger on a 7A. Will continue to buy from them going forward.

3 hours ago, Batty said:

Easier and safer just to buy from a big national branded store or manufacturer direct isn't it.

Yes, this is why I recommend OEM products for folks like you. 

5 hours ago, Batty said:

I was close to buying a Samsung S22 from a dealer in Bangkok topseller on Lazada. He was telling me there is no warranty on the phone despite it being brand new, boxed, never opened. Only a 1 month seller warranty. I told him that as a new phone the 2 year warrenty should start from date of purchase but he was like "no not with this phone, this phone came from vietnam, so not have manufacturer warranty with Samsung." WTF? Should it matter where the phone came from? It's still a Samsung? A built in warrenty is a built in warrenty isn't it?

This is nothing unusual, new, strange or unique to the Samsung phone, every manufacturer including Apple restricts the warrantee to the market that the item is sold into. 
You may well have missed the point that many phones are actually unique to the area or country that they are sold into, so while it may seem that there is 1 model with 1 model number there are actually many different versions of that model so the maker only stocks the parts for the country where the model is sold.