Immigration officer complaining about my visa exemption

I will concede that coming here 6 times a year is a stretch to classify myself as a tourist but my current passport is 8 years old and is totally peppered with visa exemption stamps so it's odd that none of the previous immigration officers have ever mentioned it.

On the last point by Regyai I did wonder if just ignoring it was an option or do they "mark" your passport in the system with a "visa required on the next visit" comment?

Can I obtain a tourist visa while inside Thailand or do I have to get one while I'm out of country? 

1 hour ago, Yewbzee said:

Has anybody experienced this previously?

Not personally but this has come up even prior to covid.

Oil gas etc workers for many years just obtained 30 day exempt.

That is becoming not an option.

In your case the io many have noticed the previous non O retirement.

Knew you had visa option.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Not personally but this has come up even prior to covid.

Oil gas etc workers for many years just obtained 30 day exempt.

That is becoming not an option.

In your case the io many have noticed the previous non O retirement.

Knew you had visa option.

exactly this
i know a few people that have been told the same before 2020
some oil workers
others just frequent travellers/on the move

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, patman30 said:

exactly this
i know a few people that have been told the same before 2020
some oil workers
others just frequent travellers/on the move

Back in the time when there was triple entry tourist visas I was using them as I flew to Vietnam every month.

At Saigon Thai consulate I was applying for this triple tourist visa the IO made this comment....

"You are over 50 next time need apply retirement visa" 

Obviously noting ongoing time spent in Thailand. 

• Thumbs Up 1

She actually tried to make it sound like she was doing me a favour by saying the visa exemption "is not good for you". 

I tried to point out in a  friendly manner that it was actually ideal for me.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think I'll just apply for another multi entry retirement visa to save any future grief. I'm assuming I can still do that at Jomtien and change my visa exemption to the Non 'O' ?

Am I correct in saying that medical insurance is required now for the retirement visa? It wasn't the last time I had one a couple of years ago.

3 hours ago, Yewbzee said:

On the last point by Regyai I did wonder if just ignoring it was an option or do they "mark" your passport in the system with a "visa required on the next visit" comment?

Very likely. I had to go through 3 interviews on 3 trips to Thailand in a row back in late 2019/early 2020. I presume that such a "mark", as you call it, from the first airport immigration triggered a second interview (almost denied entry) at the second airport, and after that even at a land border. My solution was to spend more than half a year elsewhere. No problems when arriving after that.

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, JoseThailand said:

I've been in Thailand 3+ years as a "tourist" and they tried to intimidate and give me sh*t countless times. I know all their tricks.

The problem is that they can always deny you at will, if they want to, claiming that you "don't have enough funds for your stay", even if you waved bundles of 100-dollar notes in front of their face.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

as others have said it seems to me its a luck of the draw as i scope out the IOs when i always land as BKK and see who appears to be "nice" to folks ahead of me..

I landed in BKK may 1 and gotta say it was the quickest EVER in 15 yrs...10 mins!   and the guy was even scrolling his tablet with FB as he was stamping folks in..LOL

he DID ask me if i had a visa and i just said im backpacking and leaving after the 30 days as I too have been doing this for yearly since 2008  ONE way tix and NO VISA ever.... ps i always come with a carry on so this may help my excuse of only coming for "30 days" and tourism

YES--yes  yes gents I understand the risks.....but this was the first time he said i should get a visa next time...i just see it as another money grab and the love of useless paperwork the thais seem to love and keep the job market alive hence the guy at tesco that takes your parking pass! ????

I smiled and nodded as other have and moved along.....could just be protocol memo for the IOs

3 minutes ago, JoseThailand said:

Yes, it's called falsifying the evidence and is a crime. They can do that, but what if you file a complaint and they get caught? Big Joke would be happy to bust a couple more unscrupulous immigration officers.

43 minutes ago, JoseThailand said:

Stand your ground and don't be easily intimidated by the boys (and girls) in brown. They have no legal grounds to deny you entry if you meet the 3 requirements (cash, hotel, tickets). You never overstayed, you are not blacklisted. Everything they say about "staying in Thailand too much" is pure intimidation. 

I've been in Thailand 3+ years as a "tourist" and they tried to intimidate and give me sh*t countless times. I know all their tricks.

THIS....its like going to jail and coming out a better criminal..the thais taught me the playbook!

and ive always come one way and never had a visa or a hotel....been working for 15 yrs now

• Haha 2