Immigration officer complaining about my visa exemption

12 hours ago, Parker2100 said:

Telling people there is no 180 day rule does not help.  If people believe you, you are setting them up for trouble.

There shouldn't be such a rule.  But Immigration uses it, none-the-less?  I have actually seen it written on the Websites of some Consulates. They don't post that because it is a written rule (in that case it is written) but they are warning travelers.  They know what triggers Immigration.

The "180-day rule" is cited on some consulate websites because, long ago, for a short period it did exist. Unfortunately, alongside some complete rubbish, describing rules that have not existed for a decade or more is depressingly common.

You are correct that some officials use 180 days in the last year as a yardstick that strongly influences their attitude. Other officials may be more influenced by your age, how you are dressed, and your general behaviour. When it comes to visa exempt entry, the officials have wide discretion in deciding whether you appear to be a tourist.

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

The "180-day rule" is cited on some consulate websites because, long ago, for a short period it did exist. Unfortunately, alongside some complete rubbish, describing rules that have not existed for a decade or more is depressingly common.

You are correct that some officials use 160 days in the last year as a yardstick that strongly influences their attitude. Other officials may be more influenced by your age, how you are dressed, and your general behaviour. When it comes to visa exempt entry, the officials have wide discretion in deciding whether you appear to be a tourist.

You didn't say anything that disagrees with what I said.  But the "180-Rule" is the reason I am not in Thailand right at this moment, or rather, why I have not been back to Thailand since before COVID.  So, it is still taken very seriously.  They kept waving a paper in front of my face that said I was in Thailand 191 days in 2018 and 2019 (Which is 2 years, but I digress).  Then stamped me in for 30 more days but scribbled a note in my passport, that I was trying to live in Thailand.  An attempt to bias future attempts to enter legally.

The IO said she is only letting me in because I just came from 60 days in Malaysia & Indonesia.  Which totally blows their reasoning out of the water.

So, in 30 days, I went to Cambodia.  Then COVID happened and I have been spending my money here since.

So, Thai Immigration can and will, use there "discretion" to pull reasons out of there behind to boot you without a reason other than suspicion. Or saving face if you prove their assertions wrong.

That is what the scribbling in my passport was.  Saving face.

So I do know what I am talking about.

Edited by Parker2100
Spelling corrections
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, DrJack54 said:
18 hours ago, Parker2100 said:

What does that say about how the average Joe (who visits less than 180 days a year) is treated by immigration when coming in on a Visa or just a stamp?

You and other chap have polluted the thread. 

Agreed...  they're not worth responding to...   completely misunderstanding the points in their haste to argue....    to such a degree there's the Mark Twain quote to consider.... :whistling:

13 hours ago, sidneybear said:

Multiply all that O visa uncertainty and hassle twenty times over twenty years though. The carefree elite visa is still a good option for those who can afford it.

Strong point....  the Elite Visa is possibly the most convenient of them all.... 

However, its a fair old chunk of change. 1MB for lifetime seemed at good deal at the time (early 30's).

That said, the Non-Imm visa's as 'resident' visa's are more powerful (if that makes sense).

Example - under Thailands Emergency Degree (covid), I could not re-enter with the Thai Elite Visa and had to obtain a Non-Imm O Visa (based on Marriage) before entering... this was Aug 2020 as soon as the borders partially re-opened for non-Thai's (under certain conditions). 

20 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

The OP never mentioned PE visa.

Living in Thailand he would be well aware of that option.

That's an assumption, so it's always good to make sure that people are aware of all the available options. O visas plus re-entry permits (if extended) are more hassle than the elite visa, plus O visa rules can change each year. It all depends how much spare cash the OP has, and how much he values forgetting about visas for the next 20 years.

Edited by sidneybear
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

That said, the Non-Imm visa's as 'resident' visa's are more powerful (if that makes sense).

Example - under Thailands Emergency Degree (covid), I could not re-enter with the Thai Elite Visa and had to obtain a Non-Imm O Visa (based on Marriage) before entering... this was Aug 2020 as soon as the borders partially re-opened for non-Thai's (under certain conditions)

That's an interesting point. Hopefully.... there will not be another covid in our lifetime.