Go East, Young (wo)man!

canadiangirl

Hi everyone,

I hope my topic isn't too pretentious. :D

Through most of history, people have moved from poor countries to rich countries with hopes of a better life. But now we are seeing the opposite happen -- people from rich countries moving to poorer countries with hopes of a better life.

I am curious about your reasons for moving to Thailand; in particular, what about Thailand did you feel was better than your home country? I'll accept "cheap, easily available p*" if that's your honest answer, but I'm particularly interested in opinions that go a bit beyond that. :D

In my case, I think some things are better back home -- education, opportunities to make money, road safety, but also I find that Thailand has the upper hand on some quality of life issues. I like how life revolves more around people instead of things, how Thai women are not afraid to touch me (patting me on the arm, linking arms with me), how the bus will wait for you to go to the bathroom, how random people on my street will chat with me, how everyone likes to make jokes all the time, how there is a vibrant street life, eating together with other people, good food available at all hours and of course, the famous Thai smile. :o

What about you? What do you think is better in Thailand than in your home country? I'd also love to hear the opinions of Thais who have been abroad!

Hi everyone,

Through most of history, people have moved from poor countries to rich countries with hopes of a better life. But now we are seeing the opposite happen -- people from rich countries moving to poorer countries with hopes of a better life.

I am curious about your reasons for moving to Thailand; in particular, what about Thailand did you feel was better than your home country? I'll accept "cheap, easily available p*" if that's your honest answer, but I'm particularly interested in opinions that go a bit beyond that. :D

In my case, I think some things are better back home -- education, opportunities to make money, road safety, but also I find that Thailand has the upper hand on some quality of life issues. I like how life revolves more around people instead of things, how Thai women are not afraid to touch me (patting me on the arm, linking arms with me), how the bus will wait for you to go to the bathroom, how random people on my street will chat with me, how everyone likes to make jokes all the time, how there is a vibrant street life, eating together with other people, good food available at all hours and of course, the famous Thai smile. :D

What about you? What do you think is better in Thailand than in your home country? I'd also love to hear the opinions of Thais who have been abroad!

i came to thailand and fell in love with the place in uk i need mortgages car payments and the like,here no mortgage no car payments no worries ,everyday is xmasday everynight is new years eve ,after 13 years it still feelsthe same ,a bit jaded round the edges but still in love with the place .you'd have to drag me kicking and screaming back to the uk no thanks ,whatever they throw at me in thailand it can be overcome :o

Food cheaper and tends to stay fresher in the fridge but then I have no idea what chemicals I am ingesting with it. Is there an FDA?

Finally sidewalks so I can excercise and beable towalk where I want to go. But emissions control? Is there an EPA equivalent?

We moved here so that I would not work and we could start a family and me be home bound for the first 5 years of our kids life.

With regards to your female interactions, I was exposed to that back home. Linking arms was common, holding hands was not after the whole gay phobia hit the country. After a certain age, certain innocent forms of physical contact becomes "lesbian" and or "predatorish".

All in all I think what is better in thailand than my home country is the exposure to germs that has you not getting sick. No colds, no flus. In 2.5 yrs I have been to the GP. once. I think that is amazing.

Well, some of us men didn't come here for cheap p**sy. Cheaper prices, more laid back culture, more tolerance, less political correctness, less pedantry about law enforcement, more smiles, warm weather. While each of those advantages has another negative side, I'm glad I came here and intend to stay at least another 49 years.

I never imagined that I would be living in Thailand. I came here as a tourist on the last leg of my round the world trip before returning to oz. After a month, my travelling buddy returned home due to lack of funds but even though my finances were almost empty, I just couldn't leave that soon!! Then a week later the tsunami hit and I volunteered for 4 months...in that time I met and fell in love with my now husband (Thai) and never left :D

I love the sense of community here, the way people just drop in for a chat as they're passing the house, that sometimes we'll have 20 people at the front of our house having a spontanious gathering!! That people are so welcoming and friendly and easy to smile and have a laugh. The thing I can't stand about our (western) culture is that we're way too serious...I'm also guilty of it, but living here, I'm learning to let things slide and see the funny side of things. And food is soooooo cheap, not to mention so delicious :o !! Same goes for electricity and water. I think you can only live happily here if you're not too serious and can laugh at yourself and the many bizarre situations you'll likely get into!

(every time I respond to your posts CG I have a power black out, it's quite weird!! Should just write one liners :D )

I was working in Japan for the past five years and started taking vacations to Thailand. What attracted me initially was the friendliness of the people, which, even compaired to the politeness of the Japanese, was refreshing. In the States, I became sickened by the general lack of understanding of other's points of views and the perpetual use of violence as a means of solving problems. While living in the relatively 'nice' city of San Antonio, Texas, you could still expect to be 'flipped off' at least once per day in traffic, shouted at by various street scum selling everything from crack to their sisters favors while walking down the sidewalk (if you're that brave/foolhardy), or hussled in some 'money is God' scam sham. All of these 'freedoms' took place in a self-rightous, ignorant, chest-thumping, conservatively-created, religiously-supported atmosphere of intolerance and promotion of violence.

After about ten trips here on vacation it dawned on me that it made more sense to live here and visit Japan! In Japan I paid $1,790 per month for a two room apartment, plus $160/month for electricity, $40 each for gas and basic phone (plus 2 yen per minute extra charge for local calls and no internet options) and $5.50 per gallon for gasoline. Here I pay $490 for a mansion with housekeeper, driver and cook. When my wife bought a dog, which technically violated the lease rules, whereupon learning of the dog, my Thai landlord replied, 'Oh, no problem, Thai's love puppies!'...In another country I would have at least lost my deposit, if not been taken to court.

It's true that here in Thailand I do have to put up with an insane traffic system, my neighbor's bi-weekly flaming garbage pyre and never-ending legislative confusion regarding visa rules. True, I am called 'farang' as a rule by non-educated and educated Thais alike versus being called by my proper name, which is always a minor irritant, but, all-in-all, I don't have to fear being killed in my sleep by some drug-crazed adolescent trying to make gang rank. Also, I like the 'it is best left alone' attitude here regarding one's private life which, in the U.S. seems to be the favorite topic of most television talk shows. Regarding the traffic, I can use the prolific public transport without being subjected to someone's rap-pumping ghetto blaster screaming 'I wanna hump yo a** Bi***', or some other mind-dulling 'musical' crap. As bad as that gets here in Thailand is in some shopping malls and yearly endurances of Acadame Fantasia.

Ironically, while once voicing my disagreement with American 'virtues' of living in a Christian society (where freedom of religion is fine so long as you are a certain type of Georgia-spawned reborn-Bubba) I was told to 'love it or leave it', so, here I am!

Edited by sigmondfreed

Well, some of us men didn't come here for cheap p**sy. Cheaper prices, more laid back culture, more tolerance, less political correctness, less pedantry about law enforcement, more smiles, warm weather. While each of those advantages has another negative side, I'm glad I came here and intend to stay at least another 49 years.

Hi PeaceBlondie,

was it the cheap c*? :o (sorry, I couldn't resist -- hope it comes across the way I meant it, as gentle ribbing! :D )

But anyways, thanks for your reply! I've read a lot of your posts, especially in the teacher's forum, and I've found them quite insightful. I hope you don't think that I was implying that all men move to Thailand for sex! But you know, check out the various "where can I move that's not Thailand?" threads on the board lately, and you'll see there's a number of people asking "how hot are the women/men in Cambodia? Will they f* me?" -- it seems to be a motivation for some people, anyways.

I am curious, in what ways do you find Thai culture more tolerant?

Edited by canadiangirl

"Go East my Son" pops up more and more often. But in terms of repeating success that is possible and expected in the West.

It is possible now to go to Singapore or Hong Kong (I myself ended up in Japan) and make your fortune there, from nothing, pretty much as migrants have been doing for over 2 centuries of going West.

In that regard - Thailand, as most of Asian countries, is still a black hole. You can enjoy spending what you have saved from the West but to earn and make considerable advancement - almost impossible. Many more Jim Thompson type of success stories are needed to reverse that (and not end as tragically as his did).

Yes, I came here to be gay; that's one important way that Thailand is more tolerant. Not permissive or accepting, just tolerant, which sure beats living in Texas unless you live in a gay place like Montrose. They tolerate other religions, more or less. To a degree, they tolerate our foreignness, although their "xenophobia" - call it what you wish - sometimes gets in the way. I'm not saying that Thailand is the most tolerant place in the world, but I like it.

Wait, I forgot one thing: when you teach teenagers, you can be silly. Slapstick, stupid bilingual puns about my pen write and you have a fan, and cleverly adding key and yet when you know it's naughty.

After about ten trips here on vacation it dawned on me that it made more sense to live here and visit Japan! In Japan I paid $1,790 per month for a two room apartment, plus $160/month for electricity, $40 each for gas and basic phone (plus 2 yen per minute extra charge for local calls and no internet options) and $5.50 per gallon for gasoline.

You must have been living in a very expensive area. I am still in Tokyo (12 mins from Ikibukuro) with a 3 room + bath+Toilet at $550 a month $64 a month for electric about the same as you for gas

BUT $48 or THB 1,500 per month for 100Mb fiber optic symmetric allways on Internet access with a fixed IP Also free access at most of the places I work

The rent I won't miss when my Wife & I move to LOS but the internet access I will

Are you sure about this? What I usually get from the average Thai is: What? You live here? Why would you? We would like to live abroad and you come to Thailand? ---- big eys, big shaking of their heads, reassuring glance to see whether I am really sane---

After about ten trips here on vacation it dawned on me that it made more sense to live here and visit Japan! In Japan I paid $1,790 per month for a two room apartment, plus $160/month for electricity, $40 each for gas and basic phone (plus 2 yen per minute extra charge for local calls and no internet options) and $5.50 per gallon for gasoline.

You must have been living in a very expensive area. I am still in Tokyo (12 mins from Ikibukuro) with a 3 room + bath+Toilet at $550 a month $64 a month for electric about the same as you for gas

BUT $48 or THB 1,500 per month for 100Mb fiber optic symmetric allways on Internet access with a fixed IP Also free access at most of the places I work

The rent I won't miss when my Wife & I move to LOS but the internet access I will

I am at Shinjuku/Yoyogi 640m from my office and I pay same as sww but no car. Internet is 5500Y via Yahoo BB, have IP phone with them and after 4 years still have to see a cent paid for (mostly Thailand) phone calls.

Hi everyone,

In my case, I think some things are better back home -- education, opportunities to make money, road safety, but also I find that Thailand has the upper hand on some quality of life issues. I like how life revolves more around people instead of things, how Thai women are not afraid to touch me (patting me on the arm, linking arms with me), how the bus will wait for you to go to the bathroom, how random people on my street will chat with me, how everyone likes to make jokes all the time, how there is a vibrant street life, eating together with other people, good food available at all hours and of course, the famous Thai smile. :D

youve just about covered all the reasons why i love the los, but its the people , the street life, the food and the natural beauty of the country that top it of.

some people like to slag of the thai and say that there niceness is just a front, but if one spends alot of time here and mixes with many different thai they will find that the vast majority are a truly decent lot just trying to survive from day to day.

and thank you very much thailand as i love you warts and all. :D

its just getting harder and harder to go back home to work but a few more years im here full time and to all the naysayers may buddha strike you down. :o

Yes, I came here to be gay; that's one important way that Thailand is more tolerant. Not permissive or accepting, just tolerant, which sure beats living in Texas unless you live in a gay place like Montrose. They tolerate other religions, more or less. To a degree, they tolerate our foreignness, although their "xenophobia" - call it what you wish - sometimes gets in the way. I'm not saying that Thailand is the most tolerant place in the world, but I like it.

Wait, I forgot one thing: when you teach teenagers, you can be silly. Slapstick, stupid bilingual puns about my pen write and you have a fan, and cleverly adding key and yet when you know it's naughty.

Haha! How everyone is always willing to joke around is one of my favorite things about Thailand as well. All the teasing and flirting and joking around is awesome.

A lot of gay people, men and women, move to my city in Canada (Montreal) because they find it one of the more accepting places. But yeah, I can see how Texas is not the most open-minded place.

well i aint no gay blade peaceblond, but i truly respect thailand for there tolerance towards the gay community and the third gender of the katoey is an awesome thing to see, as nobody gives a toss when some fella has his best makeup on, high heels, nice dress and huge ear rings. :o

i mean thats how society should be and let all sorts of people just carry on with there lives.

unfortunatly if you got around like that in australia you would become a victim of some sickos bent mind, so viva la thailand i say and may the katoeys run free for ever. :D

thank you very much.

Hi everyone,

[/i]I am curious about your reasons for moving to Thailand; in particular, what about Thailand did you feel was better than your home country? What about you? What do you think is better in Thailand than in your home country? I'd also love to hear the opinions of Thais who have been abroad! [/i]

well, at least it is much warmer here ! :o it is a big relief, when there is no need to buy cloths for 4 seasons and have some arrangements for home heating during cold season.

and of course - a huge variety of exotic fruits, vegetables and other food stuffs.

that's simple things only, not to mention other advantages which I guess many others here would or already have mentioned.

Cheaper prices, more laid back culture, more tolerance, less political correctness, less pedantry about law enforcement, more smiles, warm weather.

Could not have put it better..... a 500 baht kickback for an illigal U-Turn, beats USD $300 anytime, and the heroic police chip-on-the-shoulder western police carry, give us a break... :o