Looking to buy Jaguar

1 hour ago, ezzra said:

I know that this is not want you want to hear but from my own experience owning a Jag you'll need a bottomless pit of money to maintain it in this hot climate unless it has a Toyota engine.

I concur, as my brother (major motorhead), put his Jag down to the worst car he ever owned.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

My company bought me an X300 eleven years ago, as the jag had always been my dream car.

They were also paying for the maintenance of it.

After using it for about a year, I had to ask them to change it for a Toyota, as the cost to maintain it was ridiculous.

I really do miss having the jag, in fact I have a picture of it as my computer wallpaper but given the age of the vehicle, you really are paying out all the time to keep it running.

When buying the Jag, the majority of the vehicles we saw were great lookers but under the skin they all had problems due to their age and that was eleven years ago.

Sad to say but if you bought one now, you will need pockets far deeper than the ticket price.

CIMG4298.jpg

Edited by Bert got kinky

1 minute ago, transam said:

No, it was an MGB.....He couldn't fix that either....????

Different brother, and we were all motor heads, OK, just the one was, but all 4 of us were mechanically inclined and could fix anything back then.  Just preferred to buy better to avoid the need.  But sooner or late, sh!t wears out, emphasis on wears out.  Unless MG or Jag ... then wore out prematurely, as they found out.

Everyone should know how to swap out, alternator, water pump, starter.  Well, back then anyway, as easy.  I've swapped motors, trans, rears, and really not much I couldn't do.  If needed, as too poor to pay someone else to do, and did a better job.

Necessary talents when buying from 2nd market.  Too lazy now, so just buy new.  I can't remember the last time I changed the oil in a car ???? 30 or 40 yrs ago maybe ????

Brother with Jag, he was a true motor head, building '55' & '56' Chevys, worthy of street racing, and his teen hobby.  426 Hemi, 411 rear, thrush shifter ... you know, the basics.

5 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Different brother, and we were all motor heads, OK, just the one was, but all 4 of us were mechanically inclined and could fix anything back then.  Just preferred to buy better to avoid the need.  But sooner or late, sh!t wears out, emphasis on wears out.  Unless MG or Jag ... then wore out prematurely, as they found out.

Everyone should know how to swap out, alternator, water pump, starter.  Well, back then anyway, as easy.  I've swapped motors, trans, rears, and really not much I couldn't do.  If needed, as too poor to pay someone else to do, and did a better job.

Necessary talents when buying from 2nd market.  Too lazy now, so just buy new.  I can't remember the last time I changed the oil in a car ???? 30 or 40 yrs ago maybe ????

Brother with Jag, he was a true motor head, building '55' & '56' Chevys, worthy of street racing, and his teen hobby.  426 Hemi, 411 rear, thrush shifter ... you know, the basics.

American engines are weeeeeell different to Jag's of the era...I have messed with both, U.S. muscle engines are easy-peasy.....

Let's face it, your crew took on more than they could deal with...????

6 minutes ago, transam said:

American engines are weeeeeell different to Jag's of the era...I have messed with both, U.S. muscle engines are easy-peasy.....

Let's face it, your crew took on more than they could deal with...????

Far from it.  How many times in a year should you have to replace the same part ...  rhetorical.

Have a nice day.

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Far from it.  How many times in a year should you have to replace the same part ...  rhetorical.

Have a nice day.

Rubbish........................Do you honestly think none of us here had MG or Jag's of the era....................????

31 minutes ago, transam said:

Rubbish........................Do you honestly think none of us here had MG or Jag's of the era....................????

I did!

I had the same MGBGT for 32 years before selling it for more than I paid for it to retire here.  It was used during it's last 10 years as my sole commuting (1hr) car!

• Thanks 1

Looking at the comments.... what did I start here?!

Roadrunner is ex uk car trade and so not worried about Jags being high maintenance. Yes a Toyota may be reliable, but who wants one? Driving a Japanese car is a bit like running my nails down a blackboard. Arrrggghhhh!

Nothing has the feel, soul and character of a Jag. Let me enjoy before we are all forced to buy an electric car.

Edited by DaRoadrunner
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Roadrunner is ex uk car trade and so not worried about Jags being high maintenance. Yes a Toyota may be reliable, but who wants one? Driving a Japanese car is a bit like running my nails down a blackboard. Arrrggghhhh!

Nothing has the feel, soul and character of a Jag.

Apparently a dick waving contest. :cheesy:

21 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Nothing has the feel, soul and character of a Jag. Let me enjoy before we are all forced to buy an electric car.

Oh, you're talking about an E-Type........:clap2:

33 minutes ago, DavisH said:

Crikey, 1.5 million USD for a car that sells at European auctions for around 400,000 USD. :shock1:

56 minutes ago, DavisH said:

Saw it parked outside Villa Thonglor (assuming this has to be the same one).

Also a couple of days later I saw a beautiful Ferrari F40 drive down Thonglor, my favourite car of all time.

MicrosoftTeams-image (19).png

1 hour ago, josephbloggs said:

Also a couple of days later I saw a beautiful Ferrari F40 drive down Thonglor, my favourite car of all time.

Classic, yes. Rare, for sure. Beautiful, maybe, I like the later models better. A question of taste which is always different for us all. But driveable in Thailand ? No way unless you would want to exchange your front spoiler every week (try to park it and drive up or down a ramp) or exchange the clutch (while staying in a traffic jam). If you only drive between your home and the nearest 7/11 on a flat road without holes it might just be OK provided you do not buy too much.

I have no idea why anybody here would drive such a bella carozza or a Lambo etc. These cars just do not fit into the environment - as much Mojo they would have.

The Morris Marina was a total bitsa car. Not only was the front suspension from a Morris Minor but the remaining running gear was from the Triumph Dolomite. Some interior trim parts were from the MGB.  Originally it was to use a small capacity 6 cylinder engine. Early cars suffered from chronic power-on understeer resulting in many nose in the hedge accidents. As the 6 cylinder engine was to be lighter this would have cured the problem When the coupe was designed, to save money they decided to use the original saloon front doors making entry to the rear available only to circus contortionists.

Back on topic. I have never heard or seen an XJC in Thailand. They are becoming rare in the UK especially the V12. There are a few XJS in Thailand. In fact one is for sale. Unfortunately it has been converted into a boy racer with a hideous interior. Just been to see a Jaguar Mark 2. it is roughish, but a re-trim, paint job and re-chrome would see it all right. Unfortunately it is the least desirable as a 2.4 litre. If you twist the owners arm he is prepared to let it go for 3,000,000 baht.

• Sad 1

On 6/23/2023 at 11:32 AM, DavisH said:

That XJ220 belongs in my hands. The bank robbery takes place soon.

On 6/20/2023 at 3:16 PM, DaRoadrunner said:

I looks like you are serious ...So ...I happen to know one of the two guys who started the JDC club in Thailand. If you send me your contact details I'll mention what you are looking for to him. Maybe also PM them to Crossy, as I hardly ever read AN now and certainly don't log on...he will pass them on.

MrsJ has a tiny interest in a newley opened Mercedes repair shop ... at present they have a W211 S600 in for repairs ... that is 'kin quick.  Seems you are set on a Jag ... the W211 is a great car and not that expensive to maintain ... anyway that is no problem to you ......enjoy