Reapplying for insurance after being quoted 50% higher premium

omnipresent

I applied for health insurance recently and was quoted a 50% higher premium than the normal rate. I think it's because of high cholesterol in blood test results 1 or 2y ago.

After big lifestyle improvements I managed to get cholesterol reduced to just within normal range, and that's when I applied, but maybe they think I'm still higher risk.

I didn't go ahead with the insurance policy.

Would reapplying after some time (e.g. a year or 2), and showing that my cholesterol levels has remained normal since switching to a much healthier lifestyle, produce a better quote (i.e. no more 50% loading)?

Please share experiences if you've managed to get a more favourable quote after reapplying.

Edited by omnipresent
  • Like 1

Great question. Did you tell your insurer about the results or did they collect that automatically? Mine last time just sent out a survey with renewal, more like a disclaimer page to tick a few boxes

I wonder what you have to declare though if you for example you move insurer or didnt get an official diagnosis - I was unexpectedly a bit rough one morning when visiting a doctor at major hospital for non blood pressure issue, however due a Chang beer fest the night before, the temperature at the time of day, and lack of sleep, plus I had a touch of the cold, my blood pressure was high on three readings.  The doctor went on about it as the nurse had scribbled something down, pushing for further tests and even talking about statins to fix, I assured him it was usually normal, focus on the issue I came for and moved him along, but I'm pretty sure it's in the notes now as he made such a big deal of it. My BP been fine ever since but I wonder if an insurer could dig that up one day and refuse me based on some lame excuse of not ticking hypertension box etc. I don't think I was ever diagnosis officially but who knows what in the notes .

Edited by farang9392

My experience of a Thai insurer is that once there is a record of something at a hospital then that will be it you have a pre existing condition, i am amazed they took you on at all, but remember that if you make a claim do not be surprised if they turn it down down the pre existing condition will come into play there is no independent body to appeal to or ombudsman, get a foreign company i speak from personal experience

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, farang9392 said:

Did you tell your insurer about the results or did they collect that automatically?

I disclosed the past high cholesterol when applying. The risk of not disclosing would be that the policy could be voided if they only find out later when making a claim, right?

7 hours ago, farang9392 said:

I'm pretty sure it's in the notes now as he made such a big deal of it

Yes I'd wonder about that too as that high blood pressure reading was officially recorded, which by itself the insurer can access and then interpret as having had high blood pressure in the past, and the accompanying notes makes it worse. Have you applied for health insurance and did you disclose such past high blood pressure?

7 hours ago, howerde said:

i am amazed they took you on at all

I voluntarily underwent cholesterol tests just before applying to prove that my levels are now in normal range, so that would have helped. But I didn't like the 50% loading, which I think means they're still not 100% sure about me.

17 minutes ago, omnipresent said:

I disclosed the past high cholesterol when applying. The risk of not disclosing would be that the policy could be voided if they only find out later when making a claim, right?

Yes I'd wonder about that too as that high blood pressure reading was officially recorded, which by itself the insurer can access and then interpret as having had high blood pressure in the past, and the accompanying notes makes it worse. Have you applied for health insurance and did you disclose such past high blood pressure?

I guess the main point here is should you lie?  Honesty will be punished with little attention to grey areas.  A few years ago my BP was high and I went to hospital to have a check, but later the same day it was 120/90.  I have ceased medication prescribed on the day.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/20/2023 at 12:30 AM, omnipresent said:

I voluntarily underwent cholesterol tests just before applying to prove that my levels are now in normal range, so that would have helped. But I didn't like the 50% loading, which I think means they're still not 100% sure about me.

Interesting because high cholesterol is meaningless unless the LDL to HDL ratios are not good.  My cholesterol numbers are off the charts good.  I get blood work often because I train hard and like to look at my numbers.  Hmmm, wonder if my high total cholesterol that is a product of my HDL might be an issue.  What a mess this insurance game is and no solution that makes me feel comfortable.

• Like 1