Sending Money From Uk To Thailand

Hello All.

I am seeking some advice and was hoping that you could help.

My Thai wife and I have recently purchased some land in Thailand and have placed a small deposit as a retainer.

We now have to pay the remainder and was wondering on the best method to send money overseas from the UK to Thailand.

We will be sending approximately £4000.00 GBP and as I bank with Nationwide buliding society have looked into them sending money via swift bank transfer but they give a very poor rate and would loose too much money.

Is there an alternative secure method that gives you a better exchange rate????

I look forward to your replies.

Many thanks.

......Slippery......

It depends on the currency you are asking The Nationwide to send it in

If you said to send Thai Baht, then you WILL get a piss-poor rate ( Offshore Rate)

If you ask them to send Sterling, then you get the onshore rate of exchange, which is MUCH better

What were the actual figures they (Nationwide) quoted?

Penkoprod

Did you try to send Baht or Sterling? What rate were you offered?

As I understand it, there are now "offshore" and "onshore" rates, and the former is far less favourable than if you are buying Baht in Thailand.

Others will be better qualified than me to answer your question, but I guess you would be better transferring the Sterling equivalent with an allowance for any charges at the other end. It won't be exactly right, but the vendor won't complain if he's a couple of quid up at the end of it. 4k isn't a huge amount, presumably you're making a one-off payment, and the bank this end takes £20-25.

Thank you for your replies....

I have previously transferred from Sterling to Thai Baht using Nationwide and basically got va very poor rate. I need to check the exact rate out tomorrow but am seeking alternatives just in case nationwide's rate is poor as previously experienced.

Some of my friends have sent money (not to thailand) using Western Union. Just wondering if this is an alternative????

Thanks slippery

Hello All.

I am seeking some advice and was hoping that you could help.

My Thai wife and I have recently purchased some land in Thailand and have placed a small deposit as a retainer.

We now have to pay the remainder and was wondering on the best method to send money overseas from the UK to Thailand.

We will be sending approximately £4000.00 GBP and as I bank with Nationwide buliding society have looked into them sending money via swift bank transfer but they give a very poor rate and would loose too much money.

Is there an alternative secure method that gives you a better exchange rate????

I look forward to your replies.

Many thanks.

......Slippery......

Take a holiday. Stuff it in your pocket. Thailand's a lovely place. Even for two weeks.

Thank you for your replies....

I have previously transferred from Sterling to Thai Baht using Nationwide and basically got va very poor rate. I need to check the exact rate out tomorrow but am seeking alternatives just in case nationwide's rate is poor as previously experienced.

Some of my friends have sent money (not to thailand) using Western Union. Just wondering if this is an alternative????

Thanks slippery

Western Union are very expensive with a less attractive rate than the Bank

Hi,

I am trying to find out simular information regarding sending funds from the UK to Thailand. My bank the " Haliafx " charge £16.00 GBP to send money out side of the UK. And when I have used the Halifax to send money before to the " Thai Farmers Bank " I was charged 1000 Thai Baht by them.

I have looked into useing Weston Union but like it has been said there fee's are very high unless sending very large amounts of money. However I have been looking into useing Paypal, I have a varified Uk Paypal account and my girlfriend has a Thai registered Paypal account. Money can be transfered from the UK account to the Thai account very quickly and easily.

I am waiting for a response from Paypal regarding Fee's etc for doing this type of transaction.

If any one knows about this method or has used Paypal to do this I would be very interested in hearing from them.

Thank's

dm2005