Which type of Flu and Pneumonia Vaccines to Get?

srowndedbyh2o

Back in the U.S. my wife & I got Flu vaccines each year. As far as I know there was just one type offered. I assume it was for the most common strain of Flu going around in the U.S. for that year. I also got a pneumonia vaccine. Again, just one offered.

Here in Thailand I see different types of vaccines being offered;

“Current strain” Flu vaccine.

“4 Strains” Flu vaccine.

And pneumonia vaccines offered are ‘Previnar 13’ & ‘Pneumovax 23’ and a combination of the two of them (two shots).

I also see Previnar + Shingles and Pneumovax + Shingles offered.

My understanding is there is still only one type of Shingles vaccine available in Thailand, so that’s what I’ll get. But how do I determine which of the Flu and pneumococcal vaccines to get? Also, should we go ahead and get the Flu and pneumococcal vaccines now?

The pneumoccoccal vaccine is a one time thing not annually.

Prevnar 13 then at least 1 year after that, Penumovax 23. If you already received 13 then you need only 23 and then finished.

There is a newer pneumococcal vaccine out called PCV20  (Prevnar 20) but not yet available in Thailand.

For flu vaccine, it is every year and the preparations change according to the prevalent flu viruses.  You want (for Thailand) the "Southern Hemisphere"  newest strain, and should get it in May or early June as that is when the flu season starts in Thailand. If you plan on returning to North America or Europe farangland in what will be flu season there then may need a separate "Northern Hemiosphere" flu shot before departure.

And yes there is only 1 type of shingles vaccine here currently, brand names SKYZoster or Zostavax and just one dose. If at a later date you ever have the opportunity to get Shingrix, do so.

• Thanks 2

A post with inaccurate statement has been removed.

the efficacy of flu vaccines varies depending on how well suited the vaccine proves to be to the dominant viral strains that year (which of necessity has to be predicted in advance, an imprecise science).  In years where there is a good match between the strains used for the vaccines and the strains that are circulating, the vaccination er=reduces infection by about 50%. Not ideal,  but certainly still worthwhile.  Perhaps more important, the vaccination helpsreduce severity in those who do get the flu.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/vaccines-work/vaccineeffect.htm

• Thanks 1

Thailand has a climate near the equator, so it's not easy to categorize it as strictly belonging to either the northern or southern hemisphere for the influenza vaccine. However, this isn't a big concern because in Thailand, you can easily find both versions of the vaccine at different times of the year. So, my advice is to pick one version and stick with it every year if you want, without needing to get both.

On 6/22/2023 at 3:47 PM, Sheryl said:

The pneumoccoccal vaccine is a one time thing not annually.

On 6/22/2023 at 3:47 PM, Sheryl said:

For flu vaccine, it is every year and the preparations change according to the prevalent flu viruses. 

I’ve had just one pneumococcal vaccine and that was back in the U.S, a couple of years ago. I have no idea what kind of pneumococcal vaccine it was. But if it’s a one-time vaccine, I guess I’m good. I don’t know if it would be beneficial to do another here in Thailand.

And as far as the Flu vaccine, if I have no plans on going outside of Thailand any time soon, a “current strain” vaccine should be OK? Is the “4 Strains” vaccine just for those that plan on traveling outside Thailand?

Also; any issues with doing flu and Shingles (or pneumococcal) vaccines all at the same time?

8 hours ago, srowndedbyh2o said:

I’ve had just one pneumococcal vaccine and that was back in the U.S, a couple of years ago. I have no idea what kind of pneumococcal vaccine it was. But if it’s a one-time vaccine, I guess I’m good. I don’t know if it would be beneficial to do another here in Thailand.

And as far as the Flu vaccine, if I have no plans on going outside of Thailand any time soon, a “current strain” vaccine should be OK? Is the “4 Strains” vaccine just for those that plan on traveling outside Thailand?

Also; any issues with doing flu and Shingles (or pneumococcal) vaccines all at the same time?

If you had one pneumococcal vaccine in US a few years ago you do need another. But you must find our which you had. It was probably  Prevnar 13 but make sure. 

You can do flu and shingles at same time but (temporary) side effects may be worse than if done separately.

Current strain vaccine is fine.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

8 hours ago, srowndedbyh2o said:

Expand  

If you had one pneumococcal vaccine in US a few years ago you do need another. But you must find our which you had. It was probably  Prevnar 13 but make sure. 

Thank you Sheryl.

When I got my pneumococcal vaccine I just walked up to the pharmacy at the local Target store and asked for a flu vaccine and they asked if I also wanted a pneumonia vaccine and I said “Sure”. I’ll have to do some research to see if I can find out what type of ‘pneumonia vaccine it was.

1 hour ago, srowndedbyh2o said:

Thank you Sheryl.

When I got my pneumococcal vaccine I just walked up to the pharmacy at the local Target store and asked for a flu vaccine and they asked if I also wanted a pneumonia vaccine and I said “Sure”. I’ll have to do some research to see if I can find out what type of ‘pneumonia vaccine it was.

Target pharmacy should have the record.

• Thanks 1

On 6/24/2023 at 5:37 PM, Sheryl said:

Target pharmacy should have the record.

I checked with the pharmacy at Target and they don’t have records going back to 2020, but they did say it was “probably” Pneumovax 23, but not sure. However, when doing some searching into some of my medical records online I came across a “Pneumococcal 13-valent conjugate vaccine”, that I received Jan, 2020. I assume that was the Prevnar-13 vaccine.(?) Target pharmacy did say that I should now take the “Prevnar-20” vaccine, but as you have previously stated, it is not yet available in Thailand. So…looks like I need the Pneumovax 23, and then I’m good for now.

If Prevnar 20 becomes available in Thailand anytime soon, is it advised to also get that, or wait 5 years and see what’s available at that time?

Thanks again.