Bank Statements for Tourist Visa

Hello,

if applying for a tourist visa in Laos or Vietnam does it matter how much money I have in my account at the time or how much over the whole period of time they request? Example of 3 months in Vientaine, 6 months HCM on their websites

If i just showed I currently have plenty of funds available is that ok?

thank you 

The Thai Embassy in Phnom Penh wants to see at least 1000 USD for a single person or 2000 USD for a family. That is according to their website.

I gave them a copy of my up to date Thai bank book with more than that amount and that seemed to be good enough.

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

The Thai Embassy in Phnom Penh wants to see at least 1000 USD for a single person or 2000 USD for a family. That is according to their website.

I gave them a copy of my up to date Thai bank book with more than that amount and that seemed to be good enough.

If you have time to provide this, it would be very interesting to know your recent immigration history when you received a tourist visa in Phnom Penh. The requirements on the webpage are one thing, but (historically) Phnom Penh was very tough on those they identified as long stay tourists. Is that still the case, or is satisfying their documented requirements sufficient?

5 minutes ago, BritTim said:

If you have time to provide this, it would be very interesting to know your recent immigration history when you received a tourist visa in Phnom Penh. The requirements on the webpage are one thing, but (historically) Phnom Penh was very tough on those they identified as long stay tourists. Is that still the case, or is satisfying their documented requirements sufficient?

I had a business visa (extension) for many years. Now I applied for a tourist visa.

They told me already that I will only get one tourist visa now and I won't be allowed to apply for another tourist visa after this one expires.

That is no problem for me. But I am sure it is a problem for people who try to be tourists for a long time.

• Like 1

I've never been asked to furnish proof myself but it is a possibility as well as proof of transit and accommodation, which I've only ever been asked to supply when applying from my home country.  

On 6/24/2023 at 12:39 PM, TVtellme said:

Also is there any consulate in SEA that’s particularly easier if I have everything and a new passport? Thank you 

SORRY but the New passport trick will no longer work when you arrive into Thailand and the Thai Immigration Officers see all of your history of stamps for living in Thailand. Be prepared for questions and denied entry.

On 6/24/2023 at 12:39 PM, TVtellme said:

Also is there any consulate in SEA that’s particularly easier if I have everything and a new passport? Thank you 

The Thai Embassy or Consulate in SE Asia are strictly requiring you to meet All of the requirements for the Thai tourist visa as stated on their websites. NO leniency. Show the bank account statements as requested.. printed out and then you may get the visa.

5 hours ago, BritTim said:

If you have time to provide this, it would be very interesting to know your recent immigration history when you received a tourist vitisa in Phnom Penh. The requirements on the webpage are one thing, but (historically) Phnom Penh was very tough on those they identified as long stay tourists. Is that still the case, or is satisfying their documented requirements sufficient?

It's still the Case... IF you have stayed in Thailand with many stamps, be prepared for denied visa. And if you get it, be prepared for questions from Thai Immigration Officers upon arrival

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, travelerjim said:

SORRY but the New passport trick will no longer work when you arrive into Thailand and the Thai Immigration Officers see all of your history of stamps for living in Thailand. Be prepared for questions and denied entry.

The new passport has for a long time been of little value at immigration when entering Thailand. Its value has been at embassies/consulates in hiding your immigration history, and making it easier to get tourist visas. As far as I know, this is still the case. If you have a visa, the official power of immigration officials to deny you entry is much lower. It has happened at some airports, and especially at the rogue land crossing at Aranyaprathet/Poipet, but those with visas can enter pretty safely at most land crossings and some airports.

Long stay tourists trying to enter visa exempt by air, especially with very short gaps between their visits, need to be aware that they are subject to scrutiny, and the officials are supposed to screen you as genuine tourists before letting you in. There is a very real risk of a denied entry.

On 6/25/2023 at 12:39 AM, TVtellme said:

If you have a new passport, and only intend to get one single entry tourist visa in the region, you have a number of good options. With time to apply for an appointment, Vientiane Laos is hassle free if you meet their documented requirements. Though you will probably be interrogated, and also need an appointment, you should be fine in Ho Chi Minh City, somewhere many find enjoyable for a visit.

If your plan is to stay longer, getting two or three tourist visa in quick succession, leave Vientiane until later. For the first tourist visa., if your passport shows less than 90 days in Thailand over the last six to 12 months, you could apply in Savannakhet Laos (for shorter queues, go Tuesday or Wednesday) or Phnom Penh Cambodia (takes several days)

When it becomes doubtful whether a tourist visa application in most embassies/consulates in the region would be successful, you would still probably have a decent chance in Yangon Myanmar or Kota Bharu Malaysia.

Wherever you go, be ready to satisfy all the documented requirements at your chosen location for tourist visa applications.

20 hours ago, BritTim said:

If you have a new passport, and only intend to get one single entry tourist visa in the region, you have a number of good options. With time to apply for an appointment, Vientiane Laos is hassle free if you meet their documented requirements. Though you will probably be interrogated, and also need an appointment, you should be fine in Ho Chi Minh City, somewhere many find enjoyable for a visit.

If your plan is to stay longer, getting two or three tourist visa in quick succession, leave Vientiane until later. For the first tourist visa., if your passport shows less than 90 days in Thailand over the last six to 12 months, you could apply in Savannakhet Laos (for shorter queues, go Tuesday or Wednesday) or Phnom Penh Cambodia (takes several days)

When it becomes doubtful whether a tourist visa application in most embassies/consulates in the region would be successful, you would still probably have a decent chance in Yangon Myanmar or Kota Bharu Malaysia.

Wherever you go, be ready to satisfy all the documented requirements at your chosen location for tourist visa applications.

Thank you. If I get an E visa before arriving in Asia can I cross through by land in Laos to activate it? Or would it be better to fly into Chiang Mai from a neighboring country? 

and if my bank statements show a low amount 6 months ago but a high balance now, will it likely be ok? 

Edited by TVtellme

17 minutes ago, TVtellme said:

Thank you. If I get an E visa before arriving in Asia can I cross through by land in Laos to activate it? Or would it be better to fly into Chiang Mai from a neighboring country? 

You can enter with an eVisa by land if you prefer. Ensure you have printed a copy of the approval in advance. You will definitely need a paper copy at a land crossing.

18 minutes ago, TVtellme said:

and if my bank statements show a low amount 6 months ago but a high balance now, will it likely be ok? 

If applying in Vientiane, they will probably not worry if your account has generally held a healthy amount, but has been low at times. Suddenly having the account go from almost zero to a sudden high balance a couple of days before the application will raise eyebrows. If you need to do that, have some additional documentation that demonstrates that you had the assets but, for reasons you can explain, not much of a bank balance.

• Thanks 1